Home

2K Cheese Needs to Stop

This is a discussion on 2K Cheese Needs to Stop within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: 2K Cheese Needs to Stop

I hate to be "that guy" as I was similar to the OP at one point but if things like that make or break a game for you, then you're not playing the mode right.

I obliterate the HOF CPU by 20+ points most of the time and wish there was a harder difficulty.

The issue is, everyone plays like last year and runs no offense and is impatient on defense. Players think one on one ball or constant pick and rolls will win the game like last year. It won't anymore. Size mismatches, allowing a player to get inside the perimeter or being close to your defender but not right up on him for a close contest will lead to the CPU scoring. Turning the ball over also kills your rythm badly but does so for the CPU as well.

Few things that I would like fixed are stuck animations like being forced to walk into defenders or out of bounds. CPU catching blocks is a little annoying too but they make too many dumb mistakes in other areas for me to care as much as I use to.

For some help in MC HOF check my sig.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 2K Cheese Needs to Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthemajin
I hate to say it but learn how to play. I win nearly every game against the CPU on allstar sim The CPU makes contested jumpers but not at an alarming rate. I make just as many. Play better off ball and on ball defense. If you play a game and Kyrie starts knocking down shots set your players to guard him closer in your gameplan so he doesn't get the ball as often.

Realize whose on fire and adjust you game plan accordingly just like in real life. If you're missing a ton of shots with someone like Rose or Chris Bosh start using someone else on the team. People have off days. You can't expect even stars to always go off. There are games I have were Wade goes 1/10 and I have to rely more on Chalmers, Bosh or Whiteside and games where he goes 9/12 and I can run the offense through him.
I think everyone has to come up the curve over time to improve their game, and part of the problem is the game does a bad job of teaching people what skills they need to acquire to play successfully and minimize CPU cheese.

Step one is to make a good choice about how to set up your sliders and level of playing difficulty.

Step two is to learn to use the sim style play elements the game gives you on a consistent basis if you want to play a sim style game. That's more on a strategy level.

Step three is to sharpen the broad range of your stick and button skills. For me I know I had to improve my ability to play on ball and off ball defense, and also get a lot smarter about which passing mechanics to use in which situations. Turnovers due to bad passing are giftf to the CPU to make CPU momentum become insurmountable. You have to play to keep CPU momentum in check, always.

Even then, there will be cheese bursts. The game balancing system gives attribute and momentum bursts to where the CPU makes shots with players playing well out of their ratings and tendencies, and rebounding and loose ball recovery gets insane. The game balancing system is not yet sophisticated enough to create balance by depth and intelligence of CPU play, as opposed to just attribute and dice roll boosts.

That said, if you can learn to play better, practice, know your plays and players, follow tips from people like Sam Pham, and get your sliders and diffuclty settings right you you, you can find a reasonably fun sim game in there. The CPU AI logic and freelance systems are getting sweet.

Even with all that, I'm still playing on a custom slider All Star mode and not Super Star mode, because I'm not a good enough player (yet) to keep SS level momentum cheese from swallowing me. But I'm getting better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »