Home

I'm calling it. Steph Curry is the NBA 2K16 Cover Athlete.

This is a discussion on I'm calling it. Steph Curry is the NBA 2K16 Cover Athlete. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 1

So this thought occurred to me about a month ago. Curry is playing at an MVP level and currently the favorite. His team is the best in the league. He's also the lead All-Star vote getter in the West and the second overall. His jersey is also the most popular behind LeBron currently.

If he nabs the MVP at his current trajectory with half a season to go, I think Curry is a no-brainer for the 2K16 cover athlete:

Durant was the cover his MVP year. So was Lebron. Rose wasn't but that was a retro Bird/Magic/Jordan triple cover year.

He already has an existing relationship with 2K, and is one of the stars that explain the game in 2KU.

Beluba mentioned that Curry has wanted to stop in for a mo-cap session but hasn't had the chance to. He's a busy guy. But being the cover athlete gives him a pretty big incentive to make it happen.

His moves and sig shot can also use an overhaul compared to some of the super stars. Having Curry be the cover athlete allows 2K to bring him in and capture his plethora of shots, passes, and dribble moves and put his touch on every aspect of the offensive game. He's also an ideal cover athlete because of his many shot forms and landings that may be impractical to do for a regular non-cover player.

His face scan needs a refresh-- it's actually much nicer now that 2K seems to have tweaked it a bit from last year's scan but he is not usually that scruffy. An update would be welcome.

Curry also opens up the opportunity for 2K to up their shoe game with his Underarmor line. The Curry Ones come in a number of colorways, each with a story and many falling on holidays and special dates. 2K can tie the shoe game to their star athlete over the course of the entire season through day-specific unlocks with what I presume will also be the case with the Curry Twos.

Even if Curry misses the MVP because Harden somehow got the nod, I would think Curry would still remain the much more marketable superstar. And if Curry makes it to the Finals or wins it all, it's a done deal.

So there. I'm calling it. 2K16 is going to be the year it comes together and it will be amazing.

Last edited by Sundown; 01-22-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
MVP

jayman504's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: I'm calling it. Steph Curry is the NBA 2K16 Cover Athlete.

I was thinking the same as well....or perhaps James Harden or Anthony Davis
Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman504
I was thinking the same as well....or perhaps James Harden or Anthony Davis

I don't think Davis makes it since his team won't likely sniff playoffs. I could easily see him being a cover guy in the near future though.

As a Warriors fan and also one of non-ugly/flopping basketball, Harden is a yuck cover athlete for me. It does seem Curry would have more widespread appeal.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I would give Harden a slight edge over him though ... For now
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I would give Harden a slight edge over him though ... For now

Harden hasn't had an edge over Curry as MVP for awhile. Not especially after his horrible showing in their previous matchup and losing by another (effective) blowout last night. Rockets are 0-4 in their meetings this year. That's not a great narrative for Harden over Curry.

That's before we even get into overall stats, efficiency, assists, +/-, advanced stats like RPM, RAPM, VORP, team record, ranking, etc etc.

Oh, we're you talking about cover athlete candidate? I don't quite see that either. He's not quite as universally appealing (and can be specifically unappealing in some ways to basketball fans).

Last edited by Sundown; 01-22-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

YFW his quick release jumper is still wrong in 2k16.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
YFW his quick release jumper is still wrong in 2k16.
If he gets the cover they will have to moCap his shot.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

You're really going out on a ledge with this one.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »