Home

Help/tips for a new player at the park?

This is a discussion on Help/tips for a new player at the park? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Help/tips for a new player at the park?

So this is the first NBA 2k game I've bought since 2k9 (was never good at that game anyways). I've been playing my career for awhile now, got my player up to a 90 overall. My player is a 6'1" point guard, trying to put my actual height in as my players height.

I'm pretty weak in the following areas
Defense- especially defending people that go back and forth on the 3 point line.
Also when to hold left trigger, boost, etc.? I seem to get burnt a lot I feel like if I play enough and get a foot hold on the game I will be better.

On offense, jump shots. Offline in my career I can hit perfect releases pretty well with Michael Jordan's jumper on normal. In park? I have yet to hit one. My shot is always on the line in the shot meter yet it NEVER reigisters a perfect release, which leads to me missing wide open 3s.

Also on offense I can't seem to shake anyone with dribble moves, idk what I'm doing wrong. I also get the ball ripped from me quite often. Is there not something on the sticks you can do to protect the ball?

I really need help with my game, I understand practice makes perfect, but I need to know what I'm doing wrong and what to practice at to get halfway decent at the game.

I'm not looking for any cheese moves to help me get better, I'm a very sim guy. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Help/tips for a new player at the park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg2010
So this is the first NBA 2k game I've bought since 2k9 (was never good at that game anyways). I've been playing my career for awhile now, got my player up to a 90 overall. My player is a 6'1" point guard, trying to put my actual height in as my players height.
6'1 is a bit short, so you will probably be matched up with bigger guys and they can shot jumpers over you, but its ok, just try to avoid to go up against 6'8 guys or higher at first.

Quote:
Defense- especially defending people that go back and forth on the 3 point line.
Also when to hold left trigger, boost, etc.? I seem to get burnt a lot I feel like if I play enough and get a foot hold on the game I will be better.
Set your shot contest to always, at least at the beginning. So you dont have to worry about blocking or contesting manually. Just try to stay in front. Especially helpful against those "i am a great dribbler - i can shake everybody with going left-right"
Also dont hold turbo all the time against those guys.

And I dont know if it just me, but I set my defense assist to 0.
My guy feels slow and unresponsive if not.

Try to cut them off and then hit the left rigger instead of holding it the whole time, so you will be getting the bump animation.

And try right stick/hands up defense instead of blocking, your guy might be a bit short but you contest the shot and at least you are not out of position if you dont jump around.

Quote:
On offense, jump shots. Offline in my career I can hit perfect releases pretty well with Michael Jordan's jumper on normal. In park? I have yet to hit one. My shot is always on the line in the shot meter yet it NEVER reigisters a perfect release, which leads to me missing wide open 3s.

Also on offense I can't seem to shake anyone with dribble moves, idk what I'm doing wrong. I also get the ball ripped from me quite often. Is there not something on the sticks you can do to protect the ball?
The MJ Shot works for many but for online you just gotta try and see whats works for you. Youll find alot of threads on here where jumpshots for the park are discussed, but at the end you have to like the jumper and if you find the right one, youll be hitting them at a good rate.

Dont get to close to the defender, everbodys reaching, esp in the paint.
try some easy combos, like a double cross, maybe even followed by a spin and then find the open man or take the open lane.

If you are standing still try some size ups, chain a couple of moves (but dont spam it tho) and take what the defender gives you. Watch some YT Vids of good dribbler and try to "copy" some their moves.

When I first started playing park it was really helpful to see what and how other people are doing it.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 9

Thanks for the tips. Especially on defense, which I consider to be my weakest area by far. I usually hold left trigger down as soon as my man grabs the ball, that seems to be a mistake on my part.

And yes 6'1" is definitely short, I didn't realize so many people made 7' dudes I can hardly go into the paint at all without getting my stuff blocked. And I can't get any type of block on d, just lucky strips if I'm helping under the basket. I could be timing my block wrong though.

I was actually messing around with releases today and both J. Wall and release 22 are pretty good. I was getting green releases, both shots on normal.

Thank you again for the tips, I will try to practice what you've said until it becomes second nature.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Especially on defense, which I consider to be my weakest area by far. I usually hold left trigger down as soon as my man grabs the ball, that seems to be a mistake on my part.

And yes 6'1" is definitely short, I didn't realize so many people made 7' dudes I can hardly go into the paint at all without getting my stuff blocked. And I can't get any type of block on d, just lucky strips if I'm helping under the basket. I could be timing my block wrong though.

I was actually messing around with releases today and both J. Wall and release 22 are pretty good. I was getting green releases, both shots on normal.

Thank you again for the tips, I will try to practice what you've said until it becomes second nature.
Just a tip when using Wall's jumpshot make sure to couple it with the other correct shot animations (dribble pull-up, post hopt spot, etc) otherwise your player can get really funny on the way he moves with the ball.

PG: CP3, John Wall, Kyrie
SG:Klay Thompson, D.Wade, Kobe
SF: LBJ, Melo, PGeorge
PF: Blake, Aldridge, Duncan
C: '06 Shaq, Cousins, Bosh
Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

1st lessonican teach you is that the rec is not the park. You may get better and want to go to the rec. Just wait till you haveahandle on the game better. I dominated the park for weeks only to be extremely hit or miss in the rec. Secondly, dribble moves are only good if the defense doesn't expect them. You won't just be able to cross everyone, they have to be. timed and smart. Stick toa shot and turn the meter off in the main menu. Only watch your finger to tips. There'salot of lag, each jumper is different, you'll feel like you rushedashot or held it too long. There's no need for the extra over analysis every time you make or miss a shot. It goes in or out doesn't. Also, if you're that small you better shoot and pass, you'll never dunk on me.

Psn finnydot2012 old town flyers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
MVP

TrustedDegree4's Arena

Quote:

I really need help with my game, I understand practice makes perfect, but I need to know what I'm doing wrong and what to practice at to get halfway decent at the game.

I'm not looking for any cheese moves to help me get better, I'm a very sim guy. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
You can not guard against the Side to Side 3 by yourself. Your gonna need one of your teammates to help step up and guard with you if they set a Pick.

Almost everyone is not able to shoot in this game. I have yet to shoot a consistent 2-3 3s a game. Either they have their shooting maxed out or they have the jumper that works for them. When it comes to dribble moves, a good 3-4 are ok, anything pass that is a bit to much. It easier to get by your opponent with dribble moves on a fastbreak.

All you really need to do on defense is just try your best to stay in for of your opponent. Don't get frustrated if your opponent drops 7+ points on you. It happens sometimes. Just try to stay in front of them and cut off the baseline. Since your 6'1, your gonna have a lot of taller people making shots over you.

The best offense to run at the Park is a high tempo fastbreak one. This is the best one to run since you can get easy points off a miss/block/steal if you have good teammates. When your in the Half Court set just work the ball around and you would be good.

When it comes to Jumpshot, your gonna have to try out a bunch and see what works best for you. Some good Shots I heard are Lillard, Wall, Curry, Tony Parker, Melo, Jumpshot 22, Lamarcus Aldridge and some others. I'm still struggling with to get that good shot down.

Also Badges are things your gonna want to try to get for the Park. The more you have, the better. It not gonna change your game dramatically but it is gonna give you that edge against someone who does mot have that badge.

I would recommend you make a taller PG, something around 6'4-6'6 and see how you like it. The taller your player, the better he is all around.

Last edited by TrustedDegree4; 01-30-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
1st lessonican teach you is that the rec is not the park. You may get better and want to go to the rec. Just wait till you haveahandle on the game better. I dominated the park for weeks only to be extremely hit or miss in the rec. Secondly, dribble moves are only good if the defense doesn't expect them. You won't just be able to cross everyone, they have to be. timed and smart. Stick toa shot and turn the meter off in the main menu. Only watch your finger to tips. There'salot of lag, each jumper is different, you'll feel like you rushedashot or held it too long. There's no need for the extra over analysis every time you make or miss a shot. It goes in or out doesn't. Also, if you're that small you better shoot and pass, you'll never dunk on me.

Psn finnydot2012 old town flyers
Agreed. I still keep the shot meter on, but unless I am playing MyCareer I don't look at it at all except for maybe my first one or two shots to gauge how much lag there is.

Some people keep it on to determine if their opponent has perimeter defender. My opinion? If you are taking shots that have a chance to be affected by LPD, it's not a good shot. Unless maybe your a baller, and your height is greater than your defender by at least 3 inches and contested perimeter shots have a chance to go in, but again that is really stretching a reason just not to do what the man above suggested.

PG: CP3, John Wall, Kyrie
SG:Klay Thompson, D.Wade, Kobe
SF: LBJ, Melo, PGeorge
PF: Blake, Aldridge, Duncan
C: '06 Shaq, Cousins, Bosh
Old 01-31-2015, 01:29 AM   #8
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedDegree4
You can not guard against the Side to Side 3 by yourself. Your gonna need one of your teammates to help step up and guard with you if they set a Pick.
This is not accurate. You can guard it by yourself, but you have to be incredibly good at reading them. I routinely run Point or SF on the park so I get to deal with this a lot.

First thing is first: Figure out where they want to go. Everyone has a shot they like, and will look for it almost unconsciously. So where is your opponent trying to get to. As soon as we know that, we move to step 2.

Second: Take that spot away. If they like the Elbow, always remember that they are going there. Every move, dribble, and fake they throw doesn't matter, it's all going to lead them there. I like to sag towards that spot a hair. I give them the other direction and sag a step towards that and try to force them to go to a spot outside of their comfort zone.

Third: Know your shoulder buttons. I think of R2 as the boost, and L2 as the brakes. I try to avoid holding either. You should only have to tap them to get the results you want. If they take off, tap R2 to catch up, but let go because it will force you into a "Momentum" animation if you try to turn on a dime and turbo is held. Consequently, they take off and stop more abruptly than you thought, take your finger off R2, and tap L2 then release. That will cause you to stop into a defensive stance, and letting go allows you to take off full speed if you need to.

Finally, to use this all together requires skill and loads of data that you probably already have but don't realize(especially playing as long as you have).

Understand that on the start of the possession they will try to get to their "Spot". Cut them off, and they will go the other way. Here's where you'll need experience and analyzation skills. Everyone has a rhythm they play to. You have to figure out your opponents. Is he going to cross and take 2 dribbles or 3 before switching direction. After a few tries, and a few failures, you'll lock in.

I don't have the game play saved, but last night I had a kid so frustrated because he was locked down to point that I was actually changing my direction before he was, and I was beating him to the spot he wanted every time.

This is years of analysis and dealing with this cheesy move, but it's very do able. Just understand that they want the comfort spot. They will do whatever they can to get it, and you have to take it away from them. Hell, if you know they are trying to left right cheese you, you already know what they're trying to do, so just work on the timing of the direction changes and you'll get it.

I will say, help D is needed for some situations. I routinely have to come out to help our Center because of soeed, but the funny thing I find is that I get blocks that way because they spend so much time focusing on juking him, they Ignore the Shooting guard that just left his guy to run to their spot and swat it.

You WILL need help D on picks. Screens will murder you if your team doesn't help on them.

- sent from "The Wolf of Old Town", ViolenceFight, Via Tapatalk

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »