Home

Why is it "okay" to cheat?

This is a discussion on Why is it "okay" to cheat? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why is it "okay" to cheat?

It's like you guys want people to use elite level offense to counter basic level defense. People will never stop using these awkward movements that exposes your non mastery of on ball defense until you get better and force them too. Period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiserbk
Not inpossible. If it ends up working, the angle you took to contest the eventual shot was wrong or you overcommitted as he went in a direction and he lost you or if you are using Y to contest, you timed the block wrong. Like I said it's not easy to learn how to defend because it's awkward but it can be mastered. slunds like you just made up your mind and decided it can't be defended. Are you using just left stick, or just l trigger, or just L trigger and turbo or just turbo? Depending on how fast the ball handler is moving and if you picked the wrong angle you will need to use all of these movement modifiers to meet the ball handler at the exact point where you will contest the inevitable shot.
I find using turbo against a player going to the left of the court, to the right of the court, to the left of the court is the quickest way to give your opponent the space he needs to pop off that 3. If you happen to press turbo just has he's turning back (again!) then you have no chance, so I use a mixture of left stick, and left stick/trigger to stay close to him, and I achieve a high amount of success, and I'll often get blocks, or well contested shot notices, but that's besides the point, an online experience where you're following a guy left to right, play after play doesn't make this a particularly enjoyable experience at times.

It's more like a waste of time than anything, so yeah, maybe I'm not the best defender on the park or even as good a defender as you (I've only been playing the game since fairly late in 2014), but is the problem with this aspect of the game, my inability to follow someone left and right constantly? I think that spectacularly misses the point of this left and right issue.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #43
Rookie

You have to be prepare for the ball handler to drive in any random direction and still be in position to contest and recover for a hard drive to basket. It's a daunting task but if you want 2k to continue to give you guys total control of defender that's the way it's got to be. Once they start beefing ball handler (which they already have to a certain extant) and making defense more automated ( which they do to an extant depending on how high you jack up defensive assist) the game will cease to be a battle a player skill vs player skill and will instead be a battle of attribute. I don't want that. I like the direction they are headed in, added even more and more level of control every year. Next year I want offball offensive control. And pick controls the point you can set offball flare screens at will. Perfection!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:49 AM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
I find using turbo against a player going to the left of the court, to the right of the court, to the left of the court is the quickest way to give your opponent the space he needs to pop off that 3. If you happen to press turbo just has he's turning back (again!) then you have no chance, so I use a mixture of left stick, and left stick/trigger to stay close to him, and I achieve a high amount of success, and I'll often get blocks, or well contested shot notices, but that's besides the point, an online experience where you're following a guy left to right, play after play doesn't make this a particularly enjoyable experience at times.

It's more like a waste of time than anything, so yeah, maybe I'm not the best defender on the park or even as good a defender as you (I've only been playing the game since fairly late in 2014), but is the problem with this aspect of the game, my inability to follow someone left and right constantly? I think that spectacularly misses the point of this left and right issue.

Well first off if you never use turbo, you never get beat by a step and have to recover, which is highly doubtful in such a dynamic game. So you're guarding wrong. How else do I know you're guarding it wrong, you should be happy they are just going left to righ left to right, because that means it's something easy for you to guard and they eventually throw up a brick and you get the rebound.

And if the matter of left to right is not a defensive problem, you just don't want to play against lazy stupidity, guess what, in any online game you will find lazy stupidity. Ppl that are not as invested in getting as good as you will take the laziest route to compete. Some of them even if it doesn't work will continue doing it in a sad, lazy, way, just because it's all they've had success with. You can't expect nba 2k to penalize people for stupidity. They just give you the tools to penalize them with losses. They more you guys learn and help each other instead of complaining the more the bar will get higher online.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #45
Rookie

You should be complaining on legit issues. Like send offball teammate on a cut being an advertised features in the manual and that has worked in previous games NOT WORKING! If you guys complained about that as much as you complained about zig zag cheese, shot clock cheese, or baseline cheese, all of which can be defended, they might actually fix the thing which is ACTUALLY broken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiserbk
Give me a so called cheese and I will explain how to contour it. .
How do you get the rebound, if a 7'3 Center or a 7 Foot SF is setting screens in the paint?

How do you react to the double dribble?

How do you defend the step back 3 that almost never pushes the ballhandler out of bounds, no matter how close he is to the line?

How do you defend the stationary Crossover Escape Dribble over and over again resulting in a "Behind the Back Dribble" with speed burst all of a sudden?

Play better defense? Take better ankles?

Yes you can deal with every one of these moves - isolated, but it gets way tougher, when you play teams that are built around these.

One screener and two hesitation #3 left right/corner three abusers and the fun is gone.

And no matter how good you defend and contest these 3s - 2k lets you hit them eventually if you get often 2 or more shots every posession.

Its frustrating when you play teams like that over and over again, and it cant be in 2Ks interest to be like this.

Last edited by 13CB55; 03-01-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #47
Just started!

I agree, all this bs needs to stop.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:33 AM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13CB55
How do you get the rebound, if a 7'3 Center or a 7 Foot SF is setting screens in the paint?

How do you react to the double dribble?

How do you defend the step back 3 that almost never pushes the ballhandler out of bounds, no matter how close he is to the line?

How to you defend the stationary Crossover Escape Dribble over and over again resulting in a "Behind the Back Dribble" with speed burst all of a sudden?

Play better defense? Take better ankles?

Yes you can deal with every one of these moves - isolated, but it gets way tougher, when you play teams that are built around these.

One screener and two hesitation #3 left right/corner three abusers and the fun is gone.

And no matter how good you defend and contest these 3s - 2k lets you hit them eventually if you get often 2 or more shots every posession.

Its frustrating when you play teams like that over and over again, and it cant be in 2Ks interest to be like this.
All of this can be defended. What you are right about is that it is hella hard to get a rebound over a a 7'3 center if you're not a 7 footer yourself. But if teams in my park are game planing around exploiting a height mismatch, isn't that sim? Maybe next year they'll allow you to switch who you want to check before you check up the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »