Home

How to Keep Low Scoring Game?

This is a discussion on How to Keep Low Scoring Game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to Keep Low Scoring Game?

I've just started running plays consistently and playing on Hall of Fame Sim (which is extremely difficult and cheesy). Ive been tinkering with the defensive settings and points of emphasis with my team (Boston Celtics).

I wanna know how I can play to keep my games with low scores. I want to keep my opponents on average of 85pts a game. Ive been having trouble keeping them below 100 on HoF Sim.

What am I doing wrong? I play with patient offense but the CPU still manages to score over 110 a game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: How to Keep Low Scoring Game?

Is there a reason you're wanting it to be 85 PPG? The lowest scoring team in the NBA, the 76ers, average 90.6 PPG. And the best defense in the NBA, The Grizzlies, allow 95.5 PPGA. The Celtics are 25th worst in the NBA in points allowed at 102.2 PPGA. You're wanting one of the worst defenses in the NBA to be 10 points allowed better than the best defense in the NBA? The league average for points a game is 99.8.

Anywho, the answer is to play good defense to lower the FG% when you don't have the ball, and limit the possessions that the other team gets by holding the ball as long as possible when you do have the ball.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Just started!

the answer is to play good defense to lower the FG% when you don't have the ball, and limit the possessions that the other team gets by holding the ball as long as possible when you do have the ball.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

No turnovers. Take good shots. Patient Offense and Limit Transition for your Offensive POE (Milk that clock). Use the right stick to contest all CPU shots. Don't gamble on defense, stay home and contest those shots. Also try to keep momentum from building up for the CPU.

Ultimately though the best way to contain the CPU on hall of fame is to have better players than them.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Banned

The way to do it is not score that many points. The cpu is affected by what we do, so if we dominate and score loads, then the cpu will score loads too, to keep the game fairly close.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
The way to do it is not score that many points. The cpu is affected by what we do, so if we dominate and score loads, then the cpu will score loads too, to keep the game fairly close.
This couldn't be more accurate. If you want a low scoring game, slow your tempo down. It would also help if you stop looking at the CPU as "cheesy." Regardless of if it's true or not, change your perspective, or try to. That will make the game more enjoyable.

Last edited by TheEmperor2001; 03-11-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

The NBA average points per game is about 100 how would you expect to hold a team 15 points under the average with the Celtics? Why is that even an expectation?

EDIT: Matter of fact the Celtics are allowing 102 points a game...so unless you make significant personnel changes you aren't going to be posting defensive numbers like that...

Last edited by Shady Mike; 03-11-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k

This is true and interesting. Even in mycareer.

First of all, the cpus tendency seems to be to run the shot clock down very low. If they don't, that means you made a huge defensive mistake. The cpu does not generally jack a shot early in the shot clock, that I've seen, unless it's a make. Which makes the game kind of stupid, but that's how it is.

You need to slow it down. The computer will cheese you. If you do something the computer thinks is cheesy, it will son you. Seriously. Like if you run up the court and try to dunk it but miss, the computer's gonna come back down and score on you instantly. I've found this in MC... the computer has a way it wants you to play. It is very influenced by the plays, too. I play with autoplay cuz I'm a big, and if you go outside of those plays then, again, the computer will not only punish you by making you miss easy shots (like lay ups) but it will also take it right back at you and hit a pull up 3 in your grill.

85 points should be easy to get if you keep the computer from shooting until less than 5 seconds on the shot clock every time, which, like I said, the way the computer is programmed... should be consistently happening for you.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »