Home

Not Enough Passes and Ball Screens by AI: Quality Video Feedback for 2K16

This is a discussion on Not Enough Passes and Ball Screens by AI: Quality Video Feedback for 2K16 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Not Enough Passes and Ball Screens by AI: Quality Video Feedback for 2K16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
The main problem is that the CPU seems to want to only run sets and not use their freelance offense or quick pick and rolls when a play breaks down.
This is what I've noticed as well. Does the AI even use freelance actions or some kind of quick hitting plays? For example, if a CPU team uses 3-2 as the base set, neither motion cuts nor freelance actions seem to trigger much movement from AI players. They'll mostly go into the basic 3-2 spacing, and not much happens besides aimlessly passing the ball around on the perimeter (which often results in an open three since the CPU doesn't close out wings well) or the ball handler forcing his way to the basket against bumping animations.

One suggestion for 2k16 would be to implement some kind of quick action system depending on play types assigned to players and their touches value. I'm not talking about some "smart play" nonsense with the same plays being called over and over again. Rather quick developing plays out of a base set that complement the normal playbook.

For example...out of the 3-2 freelance set, there could be quick PNRs triggered on the top of the key and on each side by the posting big. Nothing fancy, just a basic pick. Post ups are on both sides anyway, with High/Low just depending on where the big actually posts up. For shooters, just include some quick backscreen actions. Isolations could be implemented out of the basic set by everybody just clearing out.

When and how these plays are triggered could depend on the run plays slider (actually determining their frequency vs normal plays, think D'Antoni offense) and assigned play types. So a player can only trigger actions he has actually assigned to him.

This might sound a lot like the idea behing freelance actions, but I feel it's much more intuitive, adjustable and flexible that way. Could improve AI play a lot if done correctly. Maybe freelance actions is supposed to be all that, but right now it's not really working for the CPU I think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #26
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Not Enough Passes and Ball Screens by AI: Quality Video Feedback for 2K16

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyroll_51
From a user standpoint I can manage the PnR defense okay because I can switch to the big and do my own hedging. Don't get me wrong though there are still problems there but it isn't as glaring as AI PnR defense. I will make a video on this soon but what I have noticed is that when the AI guards the PnR, the two defenders are not "communitcaing". It feels like they are each doing their own defensive scheme depending on what their check does or what they were set to do; and this type of behaviour often puts them into terrible situations.

Example:

I ran a Norris Cole and Anthony Davis PnR on Ty Lawson and Faried. Lawson decided to go under the pick (makes sense sinc Norris Cole isn't an elite pull up shooter) however Faried decided to hard hedge at the same time. This ended up giving AD a wide open roll. What went terribly wrong here is that Lawson was guarding Cole as if he's a minimal threat (correct) while Faried guarded Cole like he is a major threat (incorrect, ANTHONY FREAKIN DAVIS is the threat). This problem happens often and it gets worse when the screener receives a pass. Like I said, I will make a video on this soon when I get the time ^_^ Those are just my thoughts so far.

Sam Pham
I wouldn't say that's a terrible strategy. Going under and hard hedging is fairly common. I think in that situation it would have more to do with the actual execution. Did a weak side defender bump AD? Did the hedging big re-route Cole? Anyway, I rarely see a hard hedge from the cpu. I almost always see none or a soft hedge. I never see Ice either which has probably become the more typical pnr defense these days. Granted, I don't play 2K15 a whole lot. Another issue I see is screeners rolling very late. Good pnr teams have their bigs make minimal contact and it helps when the NBA is pretty lenient with moving screens as well.

XBLGT: tjor24

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »