Home

I Can Teach You How to Win vs HOF Sim: Serious Q&A Thread

This is a discussion on I Can Teach You How to Win vs HOF Sim: Serious Q&A Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: I Can Teach You How to Win vs HOF Sim: Serious Q&A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax52277
Sorry frustration is getting to me my bad.

It happens....lol
Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I don't plan on continuing to play on HOF, tried it for the first time last night and don't think its for me...but I'm always down to talk strategy and pick some brains.

-What's your strategy in protecting the rim on HOF\Sim?
-Do you experience the infamous '3rd quarter come backs'? If so, how do you handle them?
Ah this is probably the best way to frame a question, Thx 24th ^_^

1) To protect the rim I use about 85% of this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qrxUNXXiIGo

The other 15% of the time I mix in this every once in awhile. To start the half or coming out of a time out.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQvtbL1uo

Those are my defensive systems. In terms of the actual Defense I am on ball 80% of the time I only go off ball when I notice something is wrong in my back line or if AI has a player in such a bad spot I am gonna leave that guy and bring help to strong side (think mozgoz too far away from basket or tony Allen in corner 3).

My off ball defense strategy:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzO0zswdnMo

This is how I play both off ball and on ball defense (I also did a post offense system in this vid alongside my defense tips, you can ignore the offense if you want ^_^):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FV9S7QFfQA

All those vids combined will get you the rim protection you need for HOF. Key points:
-do your own own close outs
-contest shots with right stick + intense D
-box out and crash the glass on every shot attempt
-should only be using turbo like 20% of the time
- you aren't doing it right if you don't swtich to at least 3 different defenders once every defensive possession

*I am planning to answer every question this way ^_^ Let me know if this set up is helpful enough. Also to the mods; is it better if I embedd the vids ? Just want to share and help, don't want to come out like I am trying to grab views >_<

Last edited by itchyroll_51; 03-17-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
OK Sam, let's see if you can help with my project. This will be kind of unique and it might be a little different strategy to explore hall of fame mode.

Each year, after I get comfortable with the game, I start studying the HOF CPU. I am at that point with the game again this year.

Normally when I start studying the hall of fame CPU, I begin with one of the worst teams, play it repeatedly until I eventually knock it off and then move up to the next best team. When you play a team repeatedly, what happens is that eventually you hone in on the HOF CPU's tendencies and the plays for that team. After a while, it gets a little easier and it doesn't take as many games to beat each new team depending on the match up.

When I did this, I usually put some stipulations on the how I did it. My first goal was to always use the Pacers. The other requirements I put on myself were pretty basic but they were:

1. Default roster and default playbooks with no change in sliders.
2. All man to man defense.
3. All auto settings.

Beginning with the addition of the POE's I think, it became a little tougher for me to beat the HOF CPU on all auto and I allowed myself to make a few tweaks in the defensive settings.

This year, I am approaching the game a little differently and started a hall of fame season file. Rather than play the same team repeatedly until I beat it, I'm playing the schedule and trying to start thinking about game planning and learning the HOF CPU tendencies as I go along. This way is a lot harder for me because I only get one shot at the team and have a different team right after and I learn from repetition.

With that I put some new restrictions on how I want to play and maybe you can help me with some strategies on how I can accomplish with my new restrictions.

Here are my new goals when I play in my season file:

1. Use the starters and assign minutes in the rotations based on the real life Pacers game Frank Vogel really used. (I did start a myleague file to do this so I could pick up AJ Price at the beginning of the season and put him on the roster)
2. Play on auto subs, man to man defense only.
3. Use the default playbook, and the default uninjured post trade deadline roster so the CPU comes at you with it's best squad. I was going to control all 30 teams and put in the roster for each opponent but that was too much work.
4. Controller settings are defensive assist 0, box out assist 0, manual shot contest and no change in sliders.
5. I am trying to make the playoffs.

What I thought I'd do is post my next matchup and thought we could see how you would approach my upcoming matchups.

Currently, I am 1-12. My next matchup is the Spurs.

Here's the team I am going to put on the floor for the game and the minutes I assigned came from the first real life Spurs matchup of the season, I've assigned my starters and rotations that Vogel used and I'll be playing in San Antonio.

How would you game plan for this matchup with the above guidelines?

I love your approach Coach2K and it sounds fun + interesting ^_^ But Sam Pham can't gameplan a match up that way there are too many restrictions. Majority of my gameplanning comes from Playbook/Offensive Set designs, but you said default playbook only so that's one weapon gone. You also said auto only on defensive settings and 100% man on man defense, so all my defensive schemes are out the window too lol (you are killing me haha).

If I have to do it your way let me think about it for a sec and I will post later, I gotta drive now lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyroll_51
I love your approach Coach2K and it sounds fun + interesting ^_^ But Sam Pham can't gameplan a match up that way there are too many restrictions. Majority of my gameplanning comes from Playbook/Offensive Set designs, but you said default playbook only so that's one weapon gone. You also said auto only on defensive settings and 100% man on man defense, so all my defensive schemes are out the window too lol (you are killing me haha).

If I have to do it your way let me think about it for a sec and I will post later, I gotta drive now lol
Lol. It wasn't my intent to make it seem impossible

I ask you because I am looking for ways to get better primarily on defense although I've get to get better offensively too. I've been reviewing your vids on defensive settings and on POE's to look for ideas.

Maybe I should explain my strategy. Defensive settings changes ARE allowed. I used to do it on all auto defensively back when I was better but eased up on that restriction although I do believe it is still possible to go all auto and not make any changes.

I recommend staying with the default playbook of the team for a couple of reasons. The first is because if you want to use that team online, playbooks aren't portable. So if you are a slow learner like me, that puts you at an immediate disadvantage if you don't have the plays you have practiced on and need. I play a ton versus users and use HOF to prep for them. The second is because I'm assuming the coach is part of the team and we should take his playbook into account as we do the skills of the players we have.

Basically what I'm saying is you are the coach of the C2K Pacers and your next opponent up is the HOF CPU San Antonio Spurs.

How would you approach it?

Your tools are:

1. The defensive settings and POE's.
2. The default playbook.
3. The starters and rotation in the image below.
4. Controller settings: Defensive assist 0, box out assist 0, manual contest. (these are our league settings)
5. Auto subs.
6. Man to man defense only. (users don't like when you play zone)

Keep in mind, you don't have to implement the game plan. Just devise it, I'll try and implement it and I'll play the game.

Whether I win the Spurs game or lose it isn't what's important to me at this point. It's about getting better overall long term. This one will be tough anyway because I won't have Hibbert on the floor. If the game result is near what the real life battle was, I'll be happy with that. We aren't expected to win this one.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 03-17-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
Lol. It wasn't my intent to make it seem impossible

I ask you because I am looking for ways to get better primarily on defense although I've get to get better offensively too. I've been reviewing your vids on defensive settings and on POE's to look for ideas.

Maybe I should explain my strategy. Defensive settings changes ARE allowed. I used to do it on all auto defensively back when I was better but eased up on that restriction although I do believe it is still possible to go all auto and not make any changes.

I recommend staying with the default playbook of the team for a couple of reasons. The first is because if you want to use that team online, playbooks aren't portable. So if you are a slow learner like me, that puts you at an immediate disadvantage if you don't have the plays you have practiced on and need. I play a ton versus users and use HOF to prep for them. The second is because I'm assuming the coach is part of the team and we should take his playbook into account as we do the skills of the players we have.

Basically what I'm saying is you are the coach of the C2K Pacers and your next opponent up is the HOF CPU San Antonio Spurs.

How would you approach it?

Your tools are:

1. The defensive settings and POE's.
2. The default playbook.
3. The starters and rotation in the image below.
4. Controller settings: Defensive assist 0, box out assist 0, manual contest. (these are our league settings)
5. Auto subs.
6. Man to man defense only. (users don't like when you play zone)

Keep in mind, you don't have to implement the game plan. Just devise it, I'll try and implement it and I'll play the game.

Whether I win the Spurs game or lose it isn't what's important to me at this point. It's about getting better overall long term. This one will be tough anyway because I won't have Hibbert on the floor. If the game result is near what the real life battle was, I'll be happy with that. We aren't expected to win this one.

Ah now I understand better, when I saw man to man I read that as on ball defense for some dumb reason on my part lol I do play man to man scheme 99% of the time. Okay okay I got you. I can work with this. Default playbook not the worse thing in the world as long as I get to study it. Will do that once I get home.

But the answers you are looking for are mostly in here:

I used my two way ball scheme (3-2 Post Offense, no plays called freestyle attack, and NAPP defense system) in that video above vs HOF sim Spurs. I held them to like 17 Pts a qtr and scored about 25 myself I think. This system fits the David west, Roy Hubert, George Hill Pacers perfectly. I used the Conley, Zbo, and Marc for it myself but the pacers can easily pull off this offense and defense.

Cj Watson, scola, and Ian can run the same stuff as the bench unit*
Old 03-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #14
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyroll_51
Ah now I understand better, when I saw man to man I read that as on ball defense for some dumb reason on my part lol I do play man to man scheme 99% of the time. Okay okay I got you. I can work with this. Default playbook not the worse thing in the world as long as I get to study it. Will do that once I get home.

But the answers you are looking for are mostly in here:

I used my two way ball scheme (3-2 Post Offense, no plays called freestyle attack, and NAPP defense system) in that video above vs HOF sim Spurs. I held them to like 17 Pts a qtr and scored about 25 myself I think. This system fits the David west, Roy Hubert, George Hill Pacers perfectly. I used the Conley, Zbo, and Marc for it myself but the pacers can easily pull off this offense and defense.

Cj Watson, scola, and Ian can run the same stuff as the bench unit*

Keep in mind for this game I have no West, Hibbert, George Hill or CJ Watson.

I saw the Spurs video. My only concern is the CPU adjusting over 4 quarters to that scheme.

I'll check the links out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #15
Banned

If you've never lost a game w those settings that's incredibly lame and you don't have sliders correctly applied. Playing on HOF should give a healthy balance of wins and losses depending on your team and personal skill level. I consider myself above average, I'm like 21-10 with the rockets on HOF, and I consider that pretty realistic. Over 100-0, if that's true (which I sort of doubt anyhow)... Idk that just wouldn't be fun to me

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #16
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsOTTOmatic
If you've never lost a game w those settings that's incredibly lame and you don't have sliders correctly applied. Playing on HOF should give a healthy balance of wins and losses depending on your team and personal skill level. I consider myself above average, I'm like 21-10 with the rockets on HOF, and I consider that pretty realistic. Over 100-0, if that's true (which I sort of doubt anyhow)... Idk that just wouldn't be fun to me

What's fun for me might not be fun for you, and what's fun for you might not be fun for me, so to each his own ^_^ But if you want to lower your L's with your rockets on HOF SIM I have a solid offensive play set for you:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoG1AtPbcoM

That link is a Sam Pham design play set to maximize the skills of Ariza, Josh Smith, and Harden. Hopefully it can make your rockets play even better.*

*I used to be just a guy always looking on the Internet for help on beating HOF CPU, this was pre 2k8. I ended up finding OS and guys like Da_Czar, Sovartus, and Vannwolfhawk offered such great help. Through their advice I was able to beat HOF CPU, but those guys are gone and the culture of OS has changed. I want to bring back the helpful and knowledge building nature of that old OS I fell in love with. So even though you question my honesty and called me lame, I will smile and offer 2k help + knowledge in return ^_^

Sam Pham

Last edited by itchyroll_51; 03-17-2015 at 06:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »