Home

Legacy Issues: the biggest blunders of NBA 2K

This is a discussion on Legacy Issues: the biggest blunders of NBA 2K within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 AM   #1
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0
Legacy Issues: the biggest blunders of NBA 2K

Why is it every year we salivate and foam at the mouth for any hint of news or speculation about the next title, not even 6 months into the annual cycle, when there are many issues since even last gen?

I think everyone can agree if this isn't our favorite choice of sports title year in and year out, it was I've. And why is it i feel i made several of the same exact threads last year and have a sinking feeling i will next year? overall, the game's great. Everyone knows this, that's why we're here on os. we're here to keep the community alive and feel exclusively involved in the development process.

However, i feel like when i play online, as much as i love this game, it exposes the flaws so horribly it cheapens the single player experience somewhat.

I'm getting off subject, but it's like the stat caps on created players has to be something even the worst basketball fan in the world could say, "there's no way a center should have 85 speed when certain guards and forwards have speed ratings in the 70s and 80s. if that guy could keep up with half the guards and the forwards in the league that would be cheese." I'm not saying people would or do come to that conclusion automatically, but it's not a very difficult one to comprehend. But taking that a step further, and this is one I've made on my own, you're meaning to tell me that as a guard of any size, that even at my quickest possible stat cap for speed is 95 and I'm a pg so my Max height is 6'7" I'm giving up a maximum of 8 inches of height and my compensation is 10 speed points? If you were to weigh the value of 8 inches vs 10 speed points, I'm sure you'll agree that height in any instance almost always out weighs speed. once you factor in the other aspects of guarding the paint, whether he has his defense, athleticism, or rebounding maxed, all determines how that play will end when I'm driving.

The point I'mtrying to make, and I'm typing this on my phone, is that if the stat caps were more rigidly separated, the disparity between guard and center would increase, this producing more of an incentive to be a guard or Big man, rather than being a 7ft SF that can do everything. This kind of philosophy that any one created player can performbetter at every aspect of the game, regardless of position, is found at every level of this game and has been for years. Guards getting rebounds over centers and forwards has happened at such a comedic frequency, we're tired of laughing about it and getting angry, we accept it.

I'm sorry, Kevin Garnett was the only 7 footer that could guard any one player in the league one on one, but he never developed a knock down 3 pointer and he was relegated to forward because in a team setting, a 7 ft forward who could play perimeter defense better than anyone in the league was better suited guardingthe paint he became a defensive mastermind and won a championship THIRTEEN years into his career. No one, not even lebron james who's good at everything, isn't the best at anything so well he doesn't need a team. Michael Jordan was the best at scorer and defender in the league history, he wasn't the best shooter, rebounder, shot blocker, and assist man. He could do all of that, just not the best in the league at his position at everything. That's why the nba is fun to watch, different players offer different contributions.

If everyone wants to be Ray Allen, let them be Ray Allen. If they want to be Jordan, let them be Jordan. Dont let them be Jordan/allen/magic/iverson/shaq/hakeem.

If they want to play Jordan, make them play Jordan. don't let them play Jordan as ray allen/magic/iverson/shaq.

lookat Westbrook right now. The most unstoppable force we've seen in basketball in a while. When he went up against cp3?! Cp3 beat him playing his game. He passed when he needed to, played exceptional defense, and shot the ball when Russell was out of position. Cp3 picked his spots, methodically took him out of his game, and while Russell had a good game, the savvy veteran won.

There is a strategy to the game of basketball 2k, where is the strategy in this game? If everyone can sit, dunk, pass, rebound with who they want, when they want, there's no way this can be considered strategy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

Re: Legacy Issues: the biggest blunders of NBA 2K

Yes, exactly what I am thinking.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

As someone who tries to play a sim style of ball, I agree completely that the caps should be much more rigid. Not only by position, but on play style as well (shooter, defensive minded, playmaker, etc).

However, let's remember what MyCareer and MyPark really are. They are fantasy modes. 2K, like any business, aims to draw in as many people as possible. That's how you make money, and it's simply smart business. They're trying to add a little something for everyone.

MyLeague, MyGM, Quick Game, and 1v1 online are more sim directed. You you play with real teams, each having their strengths/weaknesses, and generally encourage more of a sim style.

MyTeam and All Star Team Up are sort of hybrids. You play with real players (current or historic), but you're also capable of building/playing with unrealistic "super teams."

MyCareer and MyPark are all about creating the ultimate basketball player and dominating the courts. It's much more driven by the fun factor, and not as concerned with realism.

Like I said, I agree with more restrictive stat caps, but at the same time, I realize what 2K is trying to do with these modes.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
MVP

I say bring back the differing playstyles, with built-in stat strengths and weaknesses. And this time around, reward/penalize players for their height and weight. The taller and heavier you are, the slower you are, and lower ballhandling, and vice versa. And the percentage of posterizers should also depend on height/weight. The bigger you are, the more you should be forced to specialize, which means better rewards in some areas, but brutal sacrifices in other areas.

It's really just that simple.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:10 AM   #5
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

I'm just going to revisit this thread every time i rage quit so the agony is fresh in my mind. Lol

Why in the world does a player spamming steal lock me into this animation where i can't even turbo out of it in any direction? I'm literally stuck because the user on the other end is pressing one button? You mean to tell me that the years of practice I've put in on learning dribble moves, just to be mooted by some turd? All he's doing is mashing square, no skill what so ever!

You reach, i teach, remember?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Pro

^^ I'll never understand how my opponents get away with all that steal spamming. Pretty much 8-9 out of ten times when i press the steal button even just ONCE i immediately get called for a foul. The worst part is they reach all over the floor regardless of positioning and whatnot and i try to do it in situations where the ball should possibly be able to get poked loose. Yet i'm the one getting punished...
Old 03-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Banned

FrequentFlyer15's Arena

This game become so unrealistic that isn't even funny anymore, i always defended 2K in past but now i'm sick & tired of their patching, year by year issues, their attitude 'we gonna put up 2 new game modes but we will take out one option that has been in game for years'. I got so sick & tired of their myPlayer game mode & myPark too, i have player with 84 OVR most of my shots in Park that are 'good & perfect' release never go in while some dudes put up ridiculous leaner threes that go in like they were standing under the rim, i was fooled on the release day thinking i bought sim game, but in reality i bought nba jam next gen, feeling like 'SUCKER' guy from looney tunes cartoons
Old 03-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
I'm just going to revisit this thread every time i rage quit so the agony is fresh in my mind. Lol

Why in the world does a player spamming steal lock me into this animation where i can't even turbo out of it in any direction? I'm literally stuck because the user on the other end is pressing one button? You mean to tell me that the years of practice I've put in on learning dribble moves, just to be mooted by some turd? All he's doing is mashing square, no skill what so ever!

You reach, i teach, remember?
....aren't you all the same ones that wanted 2k to remove the feature that stopped steal spamming from last year, where they were forced into intentional fouls? You all got what you asked for, now deal with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »