Home

Should this happen?

This is a discussion on Should this happen? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should this happen?
Yes 28 87.50%
No 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Should this happen?

I made a similar thread about Pro difficulty earlier this year, but I really didn't get an answer to my question. So I try again with a simple Yes or No question. Here it is:

Below is the Boxscore of my last game. Official rosters, Pro difficulty default, no changes whatsoever. Magic (Me) vs. Pelicans (CPU), first game in MYGM mode. As you can see I was raped

But my problem is that I'm pretty comfortable with my game. Imo my stats are not so bad, besides a few too many turnovers. My problem is that the CPU is far to good for Pro difficulty, which is the second lowest difficulty. It's also the standard difficulty when you start the game.

So lets say this is your first Basketball game ever. You start it, pick your favorite team and ... you get dominated by the CPU, maybe even worse than the game below. Should this be? Should a video game on default settings not be a little bit easier and rewarding? Is it okay that the CPU scores 159 points, wins by 46 points and makes just 2 turnovers on default difficulty?

Please I don't want to hear that results like this may happen in real life, or advice on how to become better etc. I just want to know if you think that newcomers, bad players etc. should experience unstoppable performances from the CPU on default settings and the frustration that comes with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magicpelicans.jpg (216.9 KB, 423 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Re: Should this happen?

Newcomers shouldn't play on Pro difficulty. That's why there's a Rookie level.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Yea look, I'm sorry but people need just need to get better at the game. Threads like this is what is ruining simulation sports games...I'm glad guys like Leftos, Beluba, and Beds truly care for simulation basketball because if they didn't we would end up in a situation like Madden where the devs are AFRAID to implement penalties because they are AFRAID that they will lose their casual fanbase.

And look I may get in trouble for saying this but it is what it is and I think it is constructive, but all these threads about momentum, and the "unstoppable CPU" are being made by people who don't play and don't understand the game of basketball. I think a lot of these people need to get better at the game before you come in and make a thread about how hard a game is and what "should" happen. How the hell do you let the computer score 160 points on Pro mode? What in the world were you doing on defense? That doesn't make any damn sense.

The most points scored on me on Superstar difficulty was 118 by LeBron and the Cavs...You gotta get better on USER man to man defense...

Last edited by Shady Mike; 03-20-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Rookie

Even on rookie if you turn the ball over 16 times.. yeah it should be a blow out.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Yeah I echo this. If you're new to basketball games, just start on Rookie until you're doing to them what the computer did to you here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Rookie

dmankey1's Arena

Knock it down to Rookie/Casual and start there. You should be able to win, so long you don't turn it over 16 times
Old 03-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
Rookie

Thank you for your answers and votes so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Yes, that's right. But that doesn't change the fact that Pro is the standard difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Threads like this is what is ruining simulation sports games.
Maybe. I'm sorry if I am a threat to your gaming experience. But remarks like this also ruin sports games for guys like me. But, as there are five difficulty levels, I guess it should be possible that both sides can live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
How the hell do you let the computer score 160 points on Pro mode? What in the world were you doing on defense?
The big question for me is: What the hell are my CPU teammates doing on defense? I get zero support of my CPU teammates. ZERO. It's like playing one against five. I admit that I am a much better offensive player than on defense, and I know that the Magic are a bad team, but that's why I stay on PRO difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFSpecialOps
Even on rookie if you turn the ball over 16 times.. yeah it should be a blow out.
Why? 16 turnovers is quite normal in the NBA. As of today the Rockets average 16.7 TOs per game. Cleveland 14, Atlanta 14.4 and Golden State 14.7 . They should be blown out almost every game.

What's not "sim" are the two TOs from the Pelicans. That's a NBA record I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
If you're new to basketball games, just start on Rookie until you're doing to them what the computer did to you here.
Ok, but I play basketball games for 20 years. And I played on Rookie and always won with at least 20 points.

Last edited by LongRoad; 03-20-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad
Yes, that's right. But that doesn't change the fact that Pro is the standard difficulty.
I really can't think of any game that has the absolute easiest difficulty set as the default. It's one thing if rookie was incredibly unforgiving and hard, but I don't think pro being the default is anything to complain about.

Quote:
Maybe. I'm sorry if I am a threat to your gaming experience. But remarks like this also ruin sports games for guys like me. But, as there are five difficulty levels, I guess it should be possible that both sides can live
I think he meant it in the sense that your experience and comments came off as very casual. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but when comments like that become the vocal majority then game developers tend to cater to that as that's the apparently majority of their customer base. Every user that complains about not being able to score because cpu defense gets in the way of the basket (giving an over-the-top example just to make the point obvious) makes it more likely that the devs would do something to "dumb down" the game, in this case make the game a casual dunk fest.

Somebody who abhors casual basketball like this will claim that comments seemingly in favor of it are "ruining" the game for them, and I totally get it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »