Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #25
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Thanks, Lorenzo, hope to see you on Friday!
Unfortunately, the time slot is just bad for me. That's family time. My partner and I go out for dinner Friday nights eastern time and then we watch something streaming or some rental.

It's the routine. After 12+ years, I don't break what's works!

So I catch up on Youtube over the weekend.

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 03-23-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 19
do not get rid of user timing

a way to resolve this issue is:
the perfect timing needs to be tied to a smaller or bigger window. kind of like the fielding mechanics in baseball.
as of right now that window is the same.

On the higher levels the window would be smaller and less forgiving. the shooting sliders should effect this window also.
the difficulty in this would be getting the timing window to work with the shooter release point.

In addition, 2k needs to really re-emphasize the shooter hot spots, like they did I believe in 2k11 or 12.
defenders should effect this window also.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #27
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
I'm on x1 so no patch yet. For those irritated about the shooting %'s does changing setting to real fg% help bring them down somewhat?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 0

Why not just do something like this (if it's possible to program, i wouldn't know):

Perfect release --> no effect
Slightly early/late --> - 3
Early/late --> - 6
Very early/late --> - 9

Combined with:

Wide open (no defender within about 8 feet) --> + 3
Open (no defender within about 4 feet) --> no effect
Slightly contested (defender within 2-4 feet) --> - 3
Contested (defender is within inches) --> - 6
Heavily contested (multiple defenders within inches) --> -9
Old 03-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #29
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
Have all 3 shot mechanics in the game.

Real Player % = Ratings Based

Shot Meter = Green Releases are automatic (casual and online modes would use this)

User Timing = Green Release is true player rating, -3 slightly late/early, -9 very late/early.

Also let the sliders 50 be actual ratings, why must the Midrange be at 45 and the 3PT be at 47. Beef up the defense 2k, let the default value truly represent the player.
Something like this seems accurate. Timing should have an effect. In my mind what is the point of me playing if ybe shots I take are going to be predetermined by ratings. At the same time I understand the purists that don't want to see a player like Rondo lighting it up like steph curry because someone has mastered his shot.

Like you said the best solution is to give usboptions and the three you suggest are just about perfect. Real percentages for those who want the most accurate results. Strictly timing for users that prefer to have full control. And a final one that sort of takes in account both.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitolrf
I think if the shot heuristics went back to :

Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

Instead of :

Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%

It will be fine, since the "shot glitches has been fixed". In my opinion it's not the perfect releases that is creating high percentages. It's the fact that more slightly early/late shots are falling at a higher clip.
Based on what I am experiencing in Online Ranked Games....I already believe 2K either went back to this or adjusted it.

Sorry, but I sort of LIKE the shooting system and while it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to miss a Perfect (Green) Release - I've had ONE - it's also very important to mention that it's also basically IMPOSSIBLE to get a Perfect (green) Release on a highly-contested terrible shot.

So....this argument that there are guys out there running around taking terrible contested shots and making them simply because of Green releases is sort of nonsense, to be brutally honest.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca

None of this works without a big boost to defensive movement and responsiveness to the shot contest buttons. With defensive movement still being egregiously bad, VC should have opted for a more moderate nerf.
But the patch clearly makes Defensive movement and reaction the BEST it's ever been. Even playing against some of the worst cheesers you can imagine in recent Online Ranked Games I'm able to defend them more now than EVER before....and not with tricks or gimmicks, but with just manual defense.

What you're suggesting has already been implemented with this patch. 2K isn't dumb, they knew if shooting was fixed and easier that Defense HAD to be improved.

Even with this...probably 80-90% of the guys I'm playing online are sticking with their tired old tricks, gimmicks, and exploits on the defensive side of the basketball...and then complaining that it's too easy for the people they are playing to make shots. Meanwhile, the guys I play who play smart man-to-man defense with mostly on-ball defense are defending me pretty well...and I'm doing the same.

I'm not sure this patch is the "disaster" some are making it out to be. It makes online play MUCH better...and part of the problem it seems to expose with offline play is due more to bad CPU defensive AI than user-controlled shooting.

It's very difficult to get a Green release if you're defended well...about as hard as it is to MISS a Green release. That doesn't mean SHOOTING is "broken"...it's means the CPU defense needs to IMPROVE. That will cut down on Green releases and not take any "control" away from users.

That's the one thing I've really started to pick up on post-patch 4...there are some serious AI issues that need to be tweaked for 2K16, on both ends of the floor.

The freelance movements are a great addition, but still need a lot of work and maybe need to be tied to player tendencies. Watching Kyle Korver or other spot up shooters CUT to the basket in situations where they would clearly spot up in real-life is annoying...and they almost always seem to be triggered by the freelance player movements. It's the same thing that is causing players to cut and fade away from the basketball as soon as I hit the button to pass them the ball...and the reason why big men who are open on the strong side block will "moonwalk" to the weak side as soon as you try to pass them the ball.

Last edited by coached17; 03-23-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 4

I feel like based off his explanation of what was tuned it was a step in the right direction, but too far. a 15% swing in open shot success seemed to be a little too much, maybe 10% wouldve been better

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »