Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
In terms of the shooting it did more damage than good imo. I mainly play in MyPark and I can make nearly 100% of my open mid range shots now. Its very easy to get a perfect release now. Plenty of people I play basically now just dribble left to right until they get some space for mid range shots all game. Any space and that shot is going in. You can still defend it if you can get in someones face but the second they get that open look by just dribbling left to right or maybe using a pick that shot is going in.

Some people also do the dribble left to right thing with 3's but that tends to be less successful. However 3s do go in at a higher rate now as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2015, 12:10 AM   #42
Rookie

JRxPHANTOM's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettog
In terms of the shooting it did more damage than good imo. I mainly play in MyPark and I can make nearly 100% of my open mid range shots now. Its very easy to get a perfect release now. Plenty of people I play basically now just dribble left to right until they get some space for mid range shots all game. Any space and that shot is going in. You can still defend it if you can get in someones face but the second they get that open look by just dribbling left to right or maybe using a pick that shot is going in.

Some people also do the dribble left to right thing with 3's but that tends to be less successful. However 3s do go in at a higher rate now as well.
Offline and online are broken right now because of shooting/green releases. 2K can't leave us hanging until 2K16.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagswag21
Forreal forreal, ANY contested shot should be RED. Its too many contested shots being made in the Park/JRC (Mostly 2pt shots)
Uh...maybe it's because every player is a 7-foot tall SF with 99 ratings?

Those who try to back up their argument with examples from The Park are really stretching it....

And BTW acting like NBA players don't make contested shots is just silly. There are actually some players in the NBA who make MORE shots when contested than when not - thats a fact.

Last edited by coached17; 03-24-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxPHANTOM
Offline and online are broken right now because of shooting/green releases. 2K can't leave us hanging until 2K16.
Not true. Online is far from broken.

Maybe The Park is broken...but maybe thats because everyone has crazy high rated players and the difficulty level encourages this nonsense.

Play an Online Ranked Game and it's far from broken. If people are shooting crazy high %'s against you in Online Ranked Games, it's your defense...not the game.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #45
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Go back to 2k11 formula. Was the best out of all 2ks to me and you could really distinguish a good player from a bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 AM   #46
Rookie

Dlee3's Arena

Didn't 2k last year made it harder to shoot at the beginning then fell under pressure when too many people complain and made it easier?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 AM   #47
Rookie

I've been so frustrated with this game I haven't picked it up and played since yesterday. I did notice more shots going in though. I think 2k needs to start testing their games earlier prior to release in order to make the necessary tweaks. Also, someone commented on online not being broken. I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I haven't even touched the park but I can tell you quick match up is broken. The lag online is a game breaker, and you can only experience this atrocious lag, if the game doesn't drop right after tip off. While offline is a pleasant experience for the most part, I think it's safe to say that 2k has a lot of work ahead of them. I am so disappointed with the next gen basketball experience right now. In the words of Mr. Frank White, "I hoped we could do better."
Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 1
NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is pretty much what we feared when it was first announced that the shot system would be more skill based and less random-- that perfect releases could be gamed and glitched to produce unrealistic shooting percentages. We were assured that the shot difficulty was tuned so that they would produce believable outcomes, and for the most part, this was true.

But if the tuning was done with broken shots or if the patch somehow made timing perfect releases easier, fixing the shots seems to have made our nightmare scenario a reality-- that the influence of the simulation engine could effectively be minimized or bypassed with practice. Just like the FT game can be (I shoot like 70-80% at the line with Andrew Bogut). As I understand it, sliders don't even help, as sliders control the simulation engine, and greens effectively renders it moot altogether.

Also there seems to have been way too much fixation over getting green releases. In my opinion, green releases should either not be an automatic make, or green releases should be awarded Vegas video slots style or similar to a Dave and Buster timing game-- where even with perfect timing greens are not guaranteed, but are distributed at a rate that produces somewhat realistic outcomes with some fudging under the hood factoring timing, defense, movement, ratings, etc. So while you aim to get green releases, it would be numerically impossible to bypass the calculations 2K performs to represent believable basketball long term.

I've disabled automatic updates for patches on my XBox One since this sounds to be near game breaking according to numerous reports-- especially since I've been having some great games recently.

Last edited by Sundown; 03-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »