Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Coach I agree with some of that but not all of it.

If you create a system where perfect release equals 100%, then stick skills play a more bigger role than actual real life %'s. Basically the original post demonstrated that the game becomes unrealistic because a skilled user is able to make a player shoot much better if they are able to time their shot. I already realized this means your whole defensive strategy changes because you now have to defend non-shooters much differently because their shot is not glitched.

Take a look at these Pacers numbers. The Pacers as a team shoot 42% when wide open occording to SportsVU and 35% when contested tight. So as a team they only are better 6.7% when open. I think they did this kind of study last year and it showed that the NBA as a whole only shoots 5% better on average when open.

The CPU engine should be about as close you can to what you have shown, which is why I think they need to seriously look at getting rid of perfect success equals 99% success. They need individual ratings for open and when contested. All of this was found on NBA.com. This is looking at jumpers 10 feet or greater.

Do you REALLY want people shooting only 6.7% (or anything remotely close to that number) worse when contested? Think about that for a second.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #66
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
Do you REALLY want people shooting only 6.7% (or anything remotely close to that number) worse when contested? Think about that for a second.

I didn't say that that but that is the actual team overall. What I said is there are certain players who should not receive a open shot bonus because uhh... they don't shoot well whether they are open or contested. What I have said is they need a contested shot rating and an open shot rating and the perfect release should not be automatic 99% going in. I said all of this last year

The whole league right now only shoots 5.8% better when wide open 6ft+ as a whole compared to being contested tight. Yeah there are players that shoot better or who % goes way up when open but it is not across the board.

This patch now means you have to guard bad shooters because not only can they get "green" perfects they also received an open bonus that they probably don't even show in real life. Here is a look at just some of the All-Star 3pt shooters some of the best of the best shooters in the league.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #67
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
I didn't say that that but that is the actual team overall. What I said is there are certain players who should not receive a open shot bonus because uhh... they don't shoot well whether they are open or contested. What I have said is they need a contested shot rating and an open shot rating and the perfect release should not be automatic 99% going in. I said all of this last year

The whole league right now only shoots 5.8% better when wide open 6ft+ as a whole compared to being contested tight. Yeah there are players that shoot better or who % goes way up when open but it is not across the board.

This patch now means you have to guard bad shooters because not only can they get "green" perfects they also received an open bonus that they probably don't even show in real life. Here is a look at just some of the All-Star 3pt shooters some of the best of the best shooters in the league.

Great Stats. You are correct; it is about 5-8% difference on average between wide and open and tightly contested. The wide open percentage is too high at the moment.

In my opinion, the only thing they should have adjusted this patch was getting green releases. That issue was resolved, which, in turn, solved the shooting problem. Nevertheless, it seems like the created a new problem but over compensating what never was an issue in the first place.

The fg percentages were low on certain times (aka Pacers, Hawks) due to shooting mechanics being broken. This was an over correction.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #68
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Great Stats. You are correct; it is about 5-8% difference on average between wide and open and tightly contested. The wide open percentage is too high at the moment.

In my opinion, the only thing they should have adjusted this patch was getting green releases. That issue was resolved, which, in turn, solved the shooting problem. Nevertheless, it seems like the created a new problem but over compensating what never was an issue in the first place.

The fg percentages were low on certain times (aka Pacers, Hawks) due to shooting mechanics being broken. This was an over correction.
Yeah I am hoping we get one more patch for 2K15 just to fix the shooting. I hope they delay the XB1 just for that. There is no reason to release the XB1 with shooting as is IMO.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:

Just curious - where do you find info like this (breaking up shots into covered vs. wide open)? I love reading this kind of stuff.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 1
NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Quote:
Coach I agree with some of that but not all of it.

If you create a system where perfect release equals 100%, then stick skills play a more bigger role than actual real life %'s. Basically the original post demonstrated that the game becomes unrealistic because a skilled user is able to make a player shoot much better if they are able to time their shot. I already realized this means your whole defensive strategy changes because you now have to defend non-shooters much differently because their shot is not glitched.

Take a look at these Pacers numbers. The Pacers as a team shoot 42% when wide open occording to SportsVU and 35% when contested tight. So as a team they only are better 6.7% when open. I think they did this kind of study last year and it showed that the NBA as a whole only shoots 5% better on average when open.

The CPU engine should be about as close you can to what you have shown, which is why I think they need to seriously look at getting rid of perfect success equals 99% success. They need individual ratings for open and when contested. All of this was found on NBA.com. This is looking at jumpers 10 feet or greater.

Note that the wide open percentages are MUCH closer to the 45% we had before. Hardly a single player shoots 60% wide open. Not even Kyle Korver. But now average shooters hit at 60% like they were all time greats.

I have to say that the new adjustments sound to be pretty broken. The game played fine before and wide open shots did go in if you had some rhythm going. Now they don't appear to resemble statistical reality any longer. I'm not sure what the justification was for these changes.

Last edited by Sundown; 03-25-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #71
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bonium
If they do fix the defense in 2k16 or 17 i hope they'll only fix if for offline modes. Otherwise they're just rewarding off ball defenders again. If they can't have separate sets of sliders, or whatever it is that's needed, for on/offline then i honestly hope they leave the defense as bad as it is.

This is just my view as an online myteam player of course --> i don't want to be guarded by a team of cpu controlled 90+ ovr players that have flawless defensive ai.

Its not really about the AI Defense now, its about the user not being able to defend because of poor control over the player. If they make it so a user has control over their player I would think most everyone would play on ball. I do think the AI could be improved as far as help D goes, and taking charges, but as far as on ball D the AI plays that well, and really that area probably don't need adjusted. Its the inability for the human to control his player on Defense because of sliding and lack of control, hell fro that matter offensive players slide to much too.

It was perfect before this last patch, but it seems even worse now with lack of control. I don't play online, but offline even trying to play offball is difficult because of poor control over players, so it don't matter much whether your on ball which I prefer, or offball you will feel like your on ice.

I cant imagine them fixing this although it is odd that the xbox 1 users still haven't got a patch yet, so I guess there ight be some hope cause they might be looking at it. Otherwise I think they would have released it for them by now.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #72
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

NBA.com has everything from a stats standpoint man they upgraded that site. It doesn't have all the flashy advanced stats but they have everything to gain details about players and teams

Say search for a player go to their profile, then there is a tracking, on the right side, select shots dash board. The little gear tab actually brings up more options where you can break down by months all season totals.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201166/tracking/shots/

You should see tabs that show FG attempts when open and contested for jumpers > 10ft.

Last edited by stillfeelme; 03-25-2015 at 04:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »