Home

This is a discussion on OS: Teach Me How Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: #SimNation: Teach Me How Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
L2 (LT on XB) right up until he goes into a shot animation. If you're still holding L2 then you will get a foul 95% of the time. Holding the right stick up (hands straight in the air) also will lead to fouls. The best way I've found is L2 until the shot and triangle (Y).
Good info Jerz. My approach is L2 AND once the shot animation starts, hands up in the direction of the shooter. This will yield a more aggressive approach yet doesn't initiate many fouls. If I am in foul trouble, I use the jerz approach and L2 with block attempt at the end.

Tip for defense:

Just like someone posted above me (Rare I see someone knowing how to utilize moment and time a crossover like in real life oppose to just dribbling like And 1 mixtape...NICE!) regarding feathering the left stick. Feather the left stick LIGHTLY on defense. Press hard and your defender will shift out of place. I always hear people complaining about sliding but I think at times, we initiate with this sliding.

Also, if you have a driver utilize the left stick and once they drive, meet them at predetermined point and cut them off with L2 AND TURBO. Now I am not sure if turbo makes a difference but that combination has worked well for me. If you can time their drive and beat them to that predetermined spot, you may be able to get a turnover (Strip, charge, ect.).

Lastly, play your angles and understand personnel. If I have Westbrook at the top of the key, I'll tether my hands up, L2 him (Body him) for a second if I have a defender with decent speed so he doesn't have the opportunity to explode but IMMEDIATELY fall back a few steps and play the drive with only left the stick and hands up here and there (Ala Raja Bell) if he's hot at the moment. If he drives, L2 and Turbo will be utilized.

Last edited by Nevertheles109; 03-26-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #26
MVP

How do I make a player go baseline vs standing straight in front of the man? I know it used to be L2 and flicking right stick. But that doesn't seem to work for me.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
How do I make a player go baseline vs standing straight in front of the man? I know it used to be L2 and flicking right stick. But that doesn't seem to work for me.
So, are you asking how to cut your man off when driving?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
So, are you asking how to cut your man off when driving?
Yeah. If he is in iso I want to adjust my body so that he basically has wide open space to the rim or 'make him' go baseline with my body. Sorry for poor explanation, english is my third language and don't know all bball lingo.

I mean I want to make my defender rotate his body slightly to the side so if he, e.g., wants to drive right I can easily strip him but I leave space for him to drive left because that's where I left the space.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #29
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova91
What are some suggestions on defense in MC? I've gotten my offense to play consistently by calling plays, getting/keeping team chemistry high and having certain badges but I can't get them to play consistent defense. I have the 'Defensive Anchor' badge, they play a bit better on D but they don't play it consistently.
Defense in MC is a slightly different animal than on other modes.

Defense on your assigned man is not always appropriate ... look for your matchup and stick with him, even if the coach says to cover another. An example here: In my last game, I was mainly assigned to Lin but every once in a while on a "transition" my assignment would be called on Sacre. I ignored that assignment and stayed with Lin. This prevented the inevitable kick-out to exploit the open 3 ... Yes, Sacre would score a time or two because my bigs were delayed in rotating back - a two point bucket is better to give up than a three.

General tip 1: Use spacing to "assist" your teammates more than actual rotation. What I mean by this is the ai recognizes a circle around it as a zone of containment and if your ai teammates are not closing properly or shading the nest, you can sometimes enter their "zone of awareness" to force the proper movement.

Example: I was assigned to Lin and Ginoble was assigned to Kobe. The Lakers run a horns type of play right leaving Kobe shading towards left base and Lin at the left arc position. Normally, Lin would then kick it to Kobe who then would do his thing and score more often than not because Ginoble was not up in Kobe's grill enough. Using the ai spacing mechanism you can shade yourself to be in Ginoble's "area" forcing him to move closer to Kobe and preventing said scenario. It is very important to get back tight on Lin once you trigger this movement because your goal is not to trigger a switch or a rotation, only to get some extra closure needed to trigger the "contesting" of Kobe's isolation.

General Tip 2: When the opposite team is running a baseboard drive you can assist your ai teammate in stifling the drive at two main points: the very beginning and at the rim. Any other point on the arc and it will result in a shooting foul or a posteriser.

If you are in position to help immediately, your goal is to trigger the ai's "swarmed" animation where the offensive player thinks you have him double-teamed. It is important not to double team but only trigger the awareness of the ai - this will force the offensive player to "pull up" on the drive sequence and then look for an outlet. This is why you do not double team but rather get back to your assignment to cover the outlet. Your ai defensive teammate will then be able to cut any baseboard movement.

If you are not able to assist your teammate immediately then your only hope of defending this drive is to become a hawk on the block. Even as a PG, you can often come from behind and time everything correctly to block the attacker's shot. Especial;ly as you learn the individual's animations for layups and dunks. I had 4 blocks on Dwight Howard as a PG because of the hitch in his animation allowing me to strip him on standing layups.

If you want more tips or clarification, let me know.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #30
MVP

G0DZGiFT's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
Miss those days, another little tip but feather the LS, this is a tip Da Czar has shared with us, i've been in the lab with it. From what I've experience you'll get past the cpu easier and you'll be able to react better to when defenders try to cut you off example in spoiler
Spoiler

Another benefit is you can pull dribbling moves off consistently, just better control over the ball handler basically.

As for feathering the stick on offense, wouldn't that give them the walking animation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 3

Much needed thread..the transition from p3 sim to p4 2k sim has been a tough one but i think im ready to get back out there for the online competition..and a quick tip i like to use matchups in my Celtics offense depending on whos on the court thats how i pace my game play

Boston Celtics
Georgetown Hoyas
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #32
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
Yeah. If he is in iso I want to adjust my body so that he basically has wide open space to the rim or 'make him' go baseline with my body. Sorry for poor explanation, english is my third language and don't know all bball lingo.

I mean I want to make my defender rotate his body slightly to the side so if he, e.g., wants to drive right I can easily strip him but I leave space for him to drive left because that's where I left the space.
No worries, we got you!

When I get home I'll play around with the left stick and L2 and give you a definitive answer. But to give you some clarity. . . you are correct, the rick stick no longer lets you hedge left or right. I have no idea why this was removed in the first place?

I think it left stick while pressing the side you'd like to hedge and L2. Your player should turn his hips at that moment. I'll double check when I get home for you but hedging still can be triggered in 2K15.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »