Home

How to defend against 4out 1in???

This is a discussion on How to defend against 4out 1in??? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
How to defend against 4out 1in???

I'm so tired of playing against 4out 1in, I have to control all 5 players to prevent them leaving a shooter wide open, and as soon as i switch to another player, they run into the paint again. My PoE are Limit perimeter shots, in defensive settings every matchup on a shooter is tight on and offball D. How can I prevent my players from running inside for help defense? I get killed by small lineups every time.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Re: How to defend against 4out 1in???

Quote:
Originally Posted by iker30
I'm so tired of playing against 4out 1in, I have to control all 5 players to prevent them leaving a shooter wide open, and as soon as i switch to another player, they run into the paint again. My PoE are Limit perimeter shots, in defensive settings every matchup on a shooter is tight on and offball D. How can I prevent my players from running inside for help defense? I get killed by small lineups every time.

Any advice would be appreciated.
That's how you do it right there. If what you did with PoE and off ball defense doesn't work then try these settings:

- No Hedge on screens
- Do not ice the PnR as that would have a help defender showing before retreating back to his man.
- Field a lineup of intelligent defenders. Look at Help Def IQ, On Ball IQ, & PnR IQ specifically
- Limit Perimeter shots as you do
- Make sure that you have double teams set to manual and not On Drive or On Catch or in the post. Double teaming anyone will lead to CPU defenders leaving their man to help.
- Play Physical if you aren't worried about back door cuts and want to force turnovers
- Play Conservative if you don't want turnovers and just want to contest shots (leaving no man open)

EDIT:

If you are playing against the CPU then what I do is adjust my User Slider for "Help Defense." I bring that down to about *20* but that only helps when playing offline.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
That's how you do it right there. If what you did with PoE and off ball defense doesn't work then try these settings:

- No Hedge on screens
- Do not ice the PnR as that would have a help defender showing before retreating back to his man.
- Field a lineup of intelligent defenders. Look at Help Def IQ, On Ball IQ, & PnR IQ specifically
- Make sure that you have double teams set to manual and not On Drive or On Catch or in the post. Double teaming anyone will lead to CPU defenders leaving their man to help.
- Play Physical if you aren't worried about back door cuts and want to force turnovers
- Play Conservative if you don't want turnovers and just want to contest shots (leaving no man open)

EDIT:

If you are playing against the CPU then what I do is adjust my User Slider for "Help Defense." I bring that down to about *20* but that only helps when playing offline.
Thank you, will try that out.

Since I'm getting this problem on My Team, I don't have any user or coaching sliders (why 2k???).

What do you mean with "Don't ice the PnR"?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iker30
Thank you, will try that out.

Since I'm getting this problem on My Team, I don't have any user or coaching sliders (why 2k???).

'ICE' is an option in the pick and roll settings.

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS
Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345

- No Hedge on screens

EDIT:

Good tips. Just want to say ICE has the PnR ball handler going over the screen while the screener man falls back to stop the roll. If guys are using Scott OGallagher's or Sam Pham's tip of just trying to run past the hard hedge, ICE neutralizes that tactic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Good tips. Just want to say ICE has the PnR ball handler going over the screen while the screener man falls back to stop the roll. If guys are using Scott OGallagher's or Sam Pham's tip of just trying to run past the hard hedge, ICE neutralizes that tactic.
The problem with Ice however is it becomes exponentially less effective with Low IQ defenders as the hedge guy who 'shows' doesn't recover to his original man quick enough. That's actually a problem in real life ice PnR defense with bad defenders as well though.

Quote:
Yea it's an option as to how you choose to defend the pick n roll for specific players on the opposition's team. It's in the defensive settings in the pause menu.

I personally use Ice on guys that shoot well off the Pick n Roll and can also drive well (i.e. Steph Curry, Damian Lillard, etc.) however dumb defenders make it hard to know what your CPU teammates will do. Therefor against a Steph Curry an alternative would be to Go Over Pick n Roll's and Soft Hedge (conservative), hard hedge (aggressive) or even double him off the PnR if he's hot to make him give up the ball.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

I have an ice tutorial that I'm slowly cutting up due to The Show and work but the way I run my ICE scheme is by controlling the screener's defender and dropping him back manually.

Here's an old video I had on 2K13 or 14 explaining how I ran ICE prior to its implementation. Though they probably were going to put it in anyway, I still take credit haha.

Start at the 7:30 mark. I honestly don't know what I was talking about before that - probably explaining the scheme. Game play starts around 07:30:

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »