Home

PHYSICS. PHYSICS. PHYSICS.

This is a discussion on PHYSICS. PHYSICS. PHYSICS. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #17
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PHYSICS. PHYSICS. PHYSICS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
2k15 feels good to me. they have really improved all the small contextual animations so that they don't feel like animations anymore. it's not perfect, but it works really well for the most part.

you will always need "animations" in games, especially in a basketball game where VERY SPECIFIC movements are needed (like sig size-ups, certain shots and moves, etc.) as long as the animations are quick, breakable and branchable, then it's not a problem. i think 2k15 finally got close to a place where the animations didn't limit what I could do, because almost any animation in the game can be interrupted and blended into another animation to adapt to the situation and your controller input. if 2k continues to add to and improve it's contextual animations for all areas, this will only get better.
Do you play online? No offense (seriously) but that sounds like the views of someone who doesn't encounter a lot of these people we're talking about...

There's people online who know how to, and when to, trigger animations on defense that put you in bad situations. It's pretty easy.
They know when to reach and trigger strips on layups that someone result in them getting the ball back even though they touched it last.
When to reach on drives to get a strip every time despite having your ball security up.
Etc etc...

When you play online in park and the rec center it really shows how bad animations get.

-Allen Iverson
Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #18
MVP

Ownal0t's Arena

My problem with the animations 2k use is the fact that of all the things that can happen. The animation that occurs 90% of the time is something so mind blowingly stupid or one that wouldn't happen in real life unless it was a freak accident.

As MAny people say, you are at the mercy of 2k. You might think you are playing the game, but the game is really playing you.

Then the extra annoying thing is, I really feel they worked harder in the posterizing dunking animations than all the others.

comon' wtf type if animation are some of these? You get dunked on then you start flipping like you are the rock and you just got stunnered. That will NEVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE. Or the animation where you get dunked on and the guy walks over you out of bounds as if he's taunting u. What? I'm sure that's a tech, but LOL AT THE FACT THAT GOT PRACTICED.

meanwhile while you have those craziness happening, we can't get basic simple animations for plays to run right.

Really?
Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
The last time 2K Sports introduced live ball physics, it was a complete fail. It was NBA 2K12 pre-patch.
I actually liked this and wish they would bring it back. you had to be cognizant of where every player was on the court including your own team mates.

there were tiems I would run a fast break and run into the back of my own player and lose the ball.. loved this.

personally I think 2k's physics is probably the best outside of MLB the show. they actually toned down the momentum features in 2k and thast caus efolks were complaining.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #20
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownal0t
My problem with the animations 2k use is the fact that of all the things that can happen. The animation that occurs 90% of the time is something so mind blowingly stupid or one that wouldn't happen in real life unless it was a freak accident.

As MAny people say, you are at the mercy of 2k. You might think you are playing the game, but the game is really playing you.

Then the extra annoying thing is, I really feel they worked harder in the posterizing dunking animations than all the others.

comon' wtf type if animation are some of these? You get dunked on then you start flipping like you are the rock and you just got stunnered. That will NEVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE. Or the animation where you get dunked on and the guy walks over you out of bounds as if he's taunting u. What? I'm sure that's a tech, but LOL AT THE FACT THAT GOT PRACTICED.

meanwhile while you have those craziness happening, we can't get basic simple animations for plays to run right.

Really?
Realer words have never been spoken about 2K bro lol

-Allen Iverson
Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #21
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Love it, every year someone come to the conclusion that they discovered the secret to making a basketball video game, PHYSICS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #22
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Love it, every year someone come to the conclusion that they discovered the secret to making a basketball video game, PHYSICS.
Whoa.. You really got me. Instead of offering an alternative you just come in and try to discredit me.

To the guy who saidthere are no animations that you can't break out of, you're not playing the same game I am. That's the only explanation i have. Even playing offline in career against the cpu there are times i have a CLEAR path to the lane. I mean angels singing in harmony how open it is to the cup, but the man guarding me, or the big closest to the basket magically snaps in front of me and my dunk on their team turns into me curling into a ball in mid air and dropping the ball. There is no, i mean no skill involved in this game. I had 8 turn overs in the first half of my last game i fouled out of because i was so enraged i spammed till it was over simply because i was tired of pressing x, no L2, no flashy passer, trying to make post entry passes or driving and seeing my big directly under the basket orkicking to the wide open man on the perimeter.

You find an explanation other than a lack of foot planting, an arc of a pass trajectory correctly avoiding a defender, or simply the speed it takes a cpu defender to raise his hands without ever seeing the ball or even watching my teammate react to calculate that information himself using the informationi just listed. Sure. Ai is always going to have the calculated edge, but giving them super human speed and damn near mind reading reaction times takes all fun out of beating the computer. If i win, get a dunk, hit an open shot, i feel like its because 2k let me, not because i skillfully got open and timed my release accordingly. Because I'll miss when I'm open but hit when he's closing in.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #23
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
Whoa.. You really got me. Instead of offering an alternative you just come in and try to discredit me.

To the guy who saidthere are no animations that you can't break out of, you're not playing the same game I am. That's the only explanation i have. Even playing offline in career against the cpu there are times i have a CLEAR path to the lane. I mean angels singing in harmony how open it is to the cup, but the man guarding me, or the big closest to the basket magically snaps in front of me and my dunk on their team turns into me curling into a ball in mid air and dropping the ball. There is no, i mean no skill involved in this game. I had 8 turn overs in the first half of my last game i fouled out of because i was so enraged i spammed till it was over simply because i was tired of pressing x, no L2, no flashy passer, trying to make post entry passes or driving and seeing my big directly under the basket orkicking to the wide open man on the perimeter.

You find an explanation other than a lack of foot planting, an arc of a pass trajectory correctly avoiding a defender, or simply the speed it takes a cpu defender to raise his hands without ever seeing the ball or even watching my teammate react to calculate that information himself using the informationi just listed. Sure. Ai is always going to have the calculated edge, but giving them super human speed and damn near mind reading reaction times takes all fun out of beating the computer. If i win, get a dunk, hit an open shot, i feel like its because 2k let me, not because i skillfully got open and timed my release accordingly. Because I'll miss when I'm open but hit when he's closing in.

Hope that makes sense.
First of all, what difficulty do you normally play on?

Second, the examples where defenders seem to pop in front of your man when you had the step on him is definitely frustrating. But the simpler solution is for them to add more contextual animations for when someone is behind the ball handler, or on his hip, so the game doesn't have to "pop" the defender in front to get the animation to line up. The solution isn't to scrap the current system and go completely with a new physics engine that takes time/money to develop and might create even more problems than you have now.

There are a few circumstances where I would like better physics, and that's in blocked shots and ball/rim interactions on shots. But branchable animations are largely the way to go for a sport that has so many subtle movements/interactions and is played in such tight confines. Moving completely to a real time physics engine, at least until someone is able to create an engine that can produce new and realistic animations on the fly, is going to rob the game of the little touches that make the game feel more organic and realistic. No one is arguing that what 2K has is perfect, but it's the best way to go. They'll continue to expand their contextual animation library, improve the transitions between them, and make movements/interactions more realistic every year.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #24
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
First of all, what difficulty do you normally play on?

Second, the examples where defenders seem to pop in front of your man when you had the step on him is definitely frustrating. But the simpler solution is for them to add more contextual animations for when someone is behind the ball handler, or on his hip, so the game doesn't have to "pop" the defender in front to get the animation to line up. The solution isn't to scrap the current system and go completely with a new physics engine that takes time/money to develop and might create even more problems than you have now.

There are a few circumstances where I would like better physics, and that's in blocked shots and ball/rim interactions on shots. But branchable animations are largely the way to go for a sport that has so many subtle movements/interactions and is played in such tight confines. Moving completely to a real time physics engine, at least until someone is able to create an engine that can produce new and realistic animations on the fly, is going to rob the game of the little touches that make the game feel more organic and realistic. No one is arguing that what 2K has is perfect, but it's the best way to go. They'll continue to expand their contextual animation library, improve the transitions between them, and make movements/interactions more realistic every year.
This. To the OP, 2k has played around with physics before, but here is the truth 90 percent of the people that play NBA 2k have desire or take into account the consequences of playing basketball true to life. 2K introduced the live ball a few year back and people complained that they were losing the ball at the slightest bit of contact or when they tried to force their way in the paint, we saw NBA live take away the authenticity of the players by giving the gamer full control. What make basketball unique and more difficult to program for than any other sport game is the unique skill sets of every NBA player and the complexity of trying to replicate it while will making it challenging but yet still fun, we want some level of control without total control or accountability , no one wanted to press 50 buttons to do it reverse layup.

Last edited by coolcras7; 05-09-2015 at 02:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »