Home

Does real field goal % solve the high shooting percentage problem?

This is a discussion on Does real field goal % solve the high shooting percentage problem? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Does real field goal % solve the high shooting percentage problem?

If you get and take good shots, you'll shoot a high percentage on either setting.

I always thought real field goal percentage was the wrong name for that setting because it implies you'll get realistic stats. But that's not what it does. What it does is allow you to shoot without knowing a player's release. It really should be called "shot assist".

Whether shot timing is easier or harder will depend on the team you use. Some teams are easy to shoot with and others are not.

If you have keen timing, then you might shoot better on shot timing.

If you are like me and aren't very good timing shots, you might do better on real field goal percentage.

My recommendation is to go with shot timing because this makes shooting unique to each player and requires you to know your player's shot mechanics - something not required with it set to real field goal percentage.

And also I suggest turning off the shot meter and shot feedback.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #10
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Thank you for your input. I am using the latest roster, which all the players' shooting ratings got dropped, and then I just use sim sliders, will give this combination a try first, however, can I ask, why do you prefer real fg% over shot timing, since you said you use that as an option for a long time, actually I also want to know when did it become an option and why was it made as an option back then? Do you know? Thank you!
I don't know when it started, but I've used it since 2K10. For me, I like it as I don't have to memorize every player's shot timing.

Coach 2K, I understand what you are saying and that is certainly true to an extent, but the players' ratings do come into play on this setting as well. It's comparable to Timing hitting on MLB The Show, in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:35 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
If you get and take good shots, you'll shoot a high percentage on either setting.

I always thought real field goal percentage was the wrong name for that setting because it implies you'll get realistic stats. But that's not what it does. What it does is allow you to shoot without knowing a player's release. It really should be called "shot assist".

Whether shot timing is easier or harder will depend on the team you use. Some teams are easy to shoot with and others are not.

If you have keen timing, then you might shoot better on shot timing.

If you are like me and aren't very good timing shots, you might do better on real field goal percentage.

My recommendation is to go with shot timing because this makes shooting unique to each player and requires you to know your player's shot mechanics - something not required with it set to real field goal percentage.

And also I suggest turning off the shot meter and shot feedback.
Umm thank you for your input too brother, but from my understanding, what the real field goal percentage setting does for you is that you do NOT need to know the shooting form of the player but still make the shot because the chance of the shot goes in or not is based on the shooting rating of the players and of course other factors like the defense being played by the CPU and etc...but mainly is based on the rating itself.

However, it is not really like an assist for the USER, yes it helps you in a way that you don't need to know how to shoot with certain players' form like I said before, but it makes the shooting rating of the players become very important to make the entire game's result more realistic, am I making sense???

Last edited by jrose57; 05-19-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 18

Maybe a coincidence, since switching to real FG% I have gone 1-3 against the CPU.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

I've used real FG% for years in my associations. I've never been interested in learning shooting forms or worrying about timing. I'm more more interested in realistic games and stats. That said, while real FG%, proper sliders, and the latest roster may get realistic stats for played games, the roster "fix" of globally reducing everyone's shooting % has played havoc with sim stats and with long term franchises. With globally reduced shooting percentages for current players, drafted players, whether user created or generated quickly surpass many existing players.

One other thing I've heard is that the global reduction in shooting percentage has resulted in defenses sagging off shooters in an unrealistic fashion. I personally haven't noticed this, but others have said they have.

In a perfect world with good sliders and solid player ratings, I will always prefer real fg%
Old 05-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
I've used real FG% for years in my associations. I've never been interested in learning shooting forms or worrying about timing. I'm more more interested in realistic games and stats. That said, while real FG%, proper sliders, and the latest roster may get realistic stats for played games, the roster "fix" of globally reducing everyone's shooting % has played havoc with sim stats and with long term franchises. With globally reduced shooting percentages for current players, drafted players, whether user created or generated quickly surpass many existing players.

One other thing I've heard is that the global reduction in shooting percentage has resulted in defenses sagging off shooters in an unrealistic fashion. I personally haven't noticed this, but others have said they have.

In a perfect world with good sliders and solid player ratings, I will always prefer real fg%
Thank you for your answer too man! Umm from what I know of, (I am an association dude), 2K has decreased ratings for all players, so in the latest official roster, the players on the teams which includes the injured ones, the free agents, and also the generated rookies in association (I think is called Myleague now), then it is fair isn't it because nobody is actually NOT CHANGED yet??? Please confirm this one with me because if they did leave out some players, the roster rating is f**ked up!

As for the defenders not getting close due to the fact that the shooting ratings for everyone got lower, I personally didn't see this at all as well, I play on superstar and touched on some sliders on the defense (nothing big tho), I really don’t see this particular problem, anyone has a say about this?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

OVR: 0

To answer the question of the Thread title: Yes.

Real shooting % does much more than just allow you to shoot without knowing the release. It limits players and prohibits them from hitting shots that are out of their range. With user timing if you are wide open and you get a perfect release the shot goes in...period. To me that's pretty far from realistic so I use Real FG%...sometimes guys make shots they should miss and sometimes guys miss shots they should make. No matter how good you are in real life the ball going in the rim is still up to probability, and Real FG% is the only way to replicate that.

Now if we are talking about which is more fun then yea that is a different story. I can totally understand why someone wouldn't want to just hold square and pray, but at the same time I find myself less immersed when I spend an hour staring at a blue bar at the bottom of my player as well...also considering the fact that I use custom sig shots, I don't have time to re learn shot releases every time I find a better jumpshot for a player...while each side has a case for which play style is more enjoyable, but I do not believe there is a debate when it comes to simulation gameplay, real shooting % is the way to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #16
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
To answer the question of the Thread title: Yes.

Real shooting % does much more than just allow you to shoot without knowing the release. It limits players and prohibits them from hitting shots that are out of their range. With user timing if you are wide open and you get a perfect release the shot goes in...period. To me that's pretty far from realistic so I use Real FG%...sometimes guys make shots they should miss and sometimes guys miss shots they should make. No matter how good you are in real life the ball going in the rim is still up to probability, and Real FG% is the only way to replicate that.

Now if we are talking about which is more fun then yea that is a different story. I can totally understand why someone wouldn't want to just hold square and pray, but at the same time I find myself less immersed when I spend an hour staring at a blue bar at the bottom of my player as well...also considering the fact that I use custom sig shots, I don't have time to re learn shot releases every time I find a better jumpshot for a player...while each side has a case for which play style is more enjoyable, but I do not believe there is a debate when it comes to simulation gameplay, real shooting % is the way to go.
To each his own . I like skill of users and learning the players more important compared to the alternative .

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »