Home

Should NBA 2K16 Implement Tip-Back Rebounding?

This is a discussion on Should NBA 2K16 Implement Tip-Back Rebounding? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Should NBA 2K16 Implement Tip-Back Rebounding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bonium
Yeah, i posted something similar in the wishlist thread a couple of months ago. I'd like a bit more user control than what op is suggesting though, after all rebounding is a skill and it would be nice if people who know positioning and when to use which type of rebound in a certain situation would get rewarded. We can choose what type of shots/layups/dribble/post moves we want to do, why not rebounds?

Here's that post i made,
I like it man. But I think it's almost too many options. I'd love to be able to do all that but can you imagine the confusion when going for a rebound? Maybe my idea is too basic and yours is too convoluted, who knows!

Keep the thoughts coming. I'm hoping we can see this next year.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
I like it man. But I think it's almost too many options. I'd love to be able to do all that but can you imagine the confusion when going for a rebound? Maybe my idea is too basic and yours is too convoluted, who knows!

Keep the thoughts coming. I'm hoping we can see this next year.
Okay, more thoughts on this yesterday evening. The steal button is also the shoot button so why not utilize it so we can differentiate tip-back, tip-up, and tip-in attempts without assigning too much to the jump buttton.

Tip-in modifier

L2 + X, Tip-in attempt

Once again, just because you initiate this command doesn't mean it should go in OR even touch the ball if you have poor positioning, inferior player, bad timing ect. I'd also like to see goaltending being called if you time it too soon.

L2 + R2 + X, Aggressive tip-in attempt

If timed correctly, this should be epic. Obviously for big men it should be a dunk attempt but I'd also like to see put-back attempt that are lay-ups as well for nonathletic bigs and PG/SG. Aggressive just means they should go up with TWO HANDS instead of one and also should be harder to pull off then the tip-in attempt with more focus on positioning, timing, vertical, ect.

So, at this point, you have all the options of tip-back rebounding, tip-up, tip-in AND putbacks without it being animation based. Also, NO commands have been changed to the native controls, which is imperative so there is no confusion or backlash.

Let me know if I'm on to something special guys
Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #19
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Okay, more thoughts on this yesterday evening. The steal button is also the shoot button so why not utilize it so we can differentiate tip-back, tip-up, and tip-in attempts without assigning too much to the jump buttton.

Tip-in modifier

L2 + X, Tip-in attempt

Once again, just because you initiate this command doesn't mean it should go in OR even touch the ball if you have poor positioning, inferior player, bad timing ect. I'd also like to see goaltending being called if you time it too soon.

L2 + R2 + X, Aggressive tip-in attempt

If timed correctly, this should be epic. Obviously for big men it should be a dunk attempt but I'd also like to see put-back attempt that are lay-ups as well for nonathletic bigs and PG/SG. Aggressive just means they should go up with TWO HANDS instead of one and also should be harder to pull off then the tip-in attempt with more focus on positioning, timing, vertical, ect.

So, at this point, you have all the options of tip-back rebounding, tip-up, tip-in AND putbacks without it being animation based. Also, NO commands have been changed to the native controls, which is imperative so there is no confusion or backlash.

Let me know if I'm on to something special guys
Wow. This seems like a great idea. With tip backs being LT + Y this would give us 4 different rebounding options (along with Y for a regular rebound) that all come with a different set of risks and rewards. Y would be the easiest and safest option, probably followed by a regular outback LT + X. Then, tip backs LT + Y because I think that an aggressive putback LT + RT + X has the most risk, like completely missing the ball, but the highest reward in a monster outback slam.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Old 05-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMichiganFan
Wow. This seems like a great idea. With tip backs being LT + Y this would give us 4 different rebounding options (along with Y for a regular rebound) that all come with a different set of risks and rewards. Y would be the easiest and safest option, probably followed by a regular outback LT + X. Then, tip backs LT + Y because I think that an aggressive putback LT + RT + X has the most risk, like completely missing the ball, but the highest reward in a monster outback slam.
Thanks man

Yes, I think the best thing about this configuration is you can still play the game EXACTLY the same. Surely, you can use the additional commands but I don't see too many accidental tip-back attempts. It will give the user MORE control without interrupting the established mechanics of the game.

The worst thing about changes to a game is typically you have to re-learn how to perform the simple things. The basic mechanics stay intact with complexity added to it that is completely optional and user controlled
Old 05-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

I tweeted a link to the developers. I hope they are able to include it this year.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMichiganFan
I tweeted a link to the developers. I hope they are able to include it this year.
Appreciate it man!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Make offensive rebounding even worse imo
Old 05-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I have worry and/or wonder in regards to the ball physics necessitated for this to work. In fact, I imagine the difficulty in replicating real-life ball physics may be why the back-tip is not yet included (alongside the absence of long rebounds).

In the event that the ball physics were figured out, there'd still be the matter of making the players move in a manner that would allow such plays to take place and appear semi-natural.

For instance, would 2K's on-screen players be too skittish and and fast to allow a back-tip to take place in the manner in does in real life? Would defenders be able to steal an overwhelming amount of back-tip attempts due to reaction speed? Would it be fast break central? As a means of preventing a defensive advantage, would the back-tips be too fast, skirting past players (players that historically tend to struggle to pick up loose balls) and into the backcourt on a frequent basis?

No doubt, I support the implementation of both aspects. I just wonder if maybe it's been already considered, with just too many potential issues still present at this point. 2K's had some well documented issues with live-ball situations and both of these great ideas skirt back into that territory.

Last edited by VDusen04; 05-28-2015 at 11:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »