Home

So making a 7 ft. SF is the way to go for MyPark in 2k16?

This is a discussion on So making a 7 ft. SF is the way to go for MyPark in 2k16? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #73
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: So making a 7 ft. SF is the way to go for MyPark in 2k16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
And seriously gameplay needs to be addressed first, not how tall you can make guys and their caps.
How would setting height and ratings caps hinder game development? Out of all they do in terms of changing park gameplay it would take the least amount of time by far. Weight should be important to strength/speed balance too.
Quote:
Like I said the speed at which bigger guys can do things regardless of their stats is what a main problem is.
250 lb+ guys should not be as quick as a 230 lb guy regardless if their both the same position.
This is a speed cap issue. Scaled size ratings aren't necessary they would be the same speed as if they were capped anyway....
Old 06-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #74
Rookie

Legendary24's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon9 Re: So making a 7 ft. SF is the way to go for MyPark in 2k16?

Right now there is no reason to make a PG or SG for online play because SFs can run,shoot, and handle the ball just as well while having a significant height advantage and access to Post Lockdown Defender. Even PFs are borderline pointless, although they can be an inch taller and have better rebounding potential the lowered cap on speed plus the inability to gain Perimeter Lockdown Defender doesn't make it a fair trade.

I don't care how people choose to use their players offline but with the way the cap and height/weight system currently works online 7 foot SFs are definitely cheese since they make 2 positions useless with PFs right on the edge.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #75
Rookie

TheBallGuru's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGiant25
Listed heights and weights are frequently incorrect but okay let's go with 250. Doesn't change my point that physically LeBron is a one in a million athlete in regard to size and speed but is actually the norm in 2k. Glad that was your takeaway from my post though.

Well when LBJ says it himself and you spew false nonsense, I'll disagree with your bs post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #76
MVP

When you get down to it, it seems like a clash of styles/philosophies.

On one side you have people who see it as being a simulation of real life sports (which it has been marketed as), thus the follow the rules and conventions of basketball and this is what they expect from the game to be entertained....position play,plays being run, ball movement,etc and so forth.

On the other hand, you have people who view it almost purely as just a video game; to them rules and other conventions of basketball are lesser most, what they expect from the game to be entertained are highlight moments you see on Sportcenter or an And 1 tape.....crazy dunks,flashy dimes, highlight rejections, and so forth.To be fair, it has also marketed as this as well.

Unfortunately when brought together under the online umbrella these two styles don't "play" together very well.

2K itself has said and is now basically saying they are trying to make the game accessible to as many people as possible; unfortunately in trying to please everyone it seems like they've progressively turned out a product which is unsure if it wants to sports simulation or arcade style fun.

As long as that is the case, the debate i am seeing here will exist in some fashion or the other,it could only be addressed by 2K itself definitively committing itself to one philosophy or the other.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #77
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBallaBoy21
How would setting height and ratings caps hinder game development? Out of all they do in terms of changing park gameplay it would take the least amount of time by far. Weight should be important to strength/speed balance too.

This is a speed cap issue. Scaled size ratings aren't necessary they would be the same speed as if they were capped anyway....
I never said it would hinder anything, but I said gameplay is more important than sitting there for hours trying to figure out how to balance the game by setting caps on height or ratings.
It's easier and more productive to get the defense right first. IMO it fixes a lot of the problems I see.

We never seen ratings like that in 2K so to say they aren't necessary is just your opinion. A 6'2 guard with 99 speed/quickness should be a lot more nimble and agile than a 6'10 forward with 95 speed/quickness. Have you ever seen the way a guy like John Wall gets up the court? Even Tony Wroten leaves the quickest forwards in the dust on a break.

-Allen Iverson
Old 06-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #78
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

Quote:
I never said it would hinder anything, but I said gameplay is more important than sitting there for hours trying to figure out how to balance the game by setting caps on height or ratings.
It's easier and more productive to get the defense right first. IMO it fixes a lot of the problems I see.
Again I ask, why do you think setting caps is so complicated? Look at the tallest players at their position in history, done. Put in a height/speed/weight ratio, done. Offense playstyles have harsher caps on defense, done. Defensive playstyles have harsher caps on offense, done.

You don't need a computer to do it. All you need is a piece of paper and a calculator. With a group of people this is easily a days worth of work in a development cycle that takes months.

Quote:
We never seen ratings like that in 2K so to say they aren't necessary is just your opinion. A 6'2 guard with 99 speed/quickness should be a lot more nimble and agile than a 6'10 forward with 95 speed/quickness. Have you ever seen the way a guy like John Wall gets up the court? Even Tony Wroten leaves the quickest forwards in the dust on a break.
It's pointless. If a 6'10 PF with 95 speed runs like he has 75 speed then just put the cap at 75....
Old 06-08-2015, 01:39 AM   #79
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBallaBoy21
Again I ask, why do you think setting caps is so complicated? Look at the tallest players at their position in history, done. Put in a height/speed/weight ratio, done. Offense playstyles have harsher caps on defense, done. Defensive playstyles have harsher caps on offense, done.

You don't need a computer to do it. All you need is a piece of paper and a calculator. With a group of people this is easily a days worth of work in a development cycle that takes months.

It's pointless. If a 6'10 PF with 95 speed runs like he has 75 speed then just put the cap at 75....
Why do you keep acting like I'm saying it's complicated? You're arguing just to argue. I keep saying gameplay needs to come first before worrying about capping stats and all that.
If they can't get the core fundamentals on defense down then caps still won't matter. Cuz as it is now a 75 speed big man doing a zig zag can still do all that and the step back with hesitation 3 against a 95 speed point and have success...

So the point is still work on the gameplay FIRST...it's that simple.

And speed is different between different types of guys it's not hard to grasp that either. Lebron at his speed is a different type of fast compared to a guy like Ty Lawson but I bet their speeds are close in rating to eachother.
Lebron has a powerful kinda speed whereas Lawson is agile.

But yet a center can keep up with smaller guys on a break because their speeds are similar. Nothing to do with caps because they already have a 30 point difference.

It's been like that for years, it's nothing to do with overall ratings and it has everything to do with the core gameplay.

-Allen Iverson
Old 06-08-2015, 02:19 AM   #80
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

Quote:
Why do you keep acting like I'm saying it's complicated? You're arguing just to argue. I keep saying gameplay needs to come first before worrying about capping stats and all that.
If they can't get the core fundamentals on defense down then caps still won't matter. Cuz as it is now a 75 speed big man doing a zig zag can still do all that and the step back with hesitation 3 against a 95 speed point and have success...

So the point is still work on the gameplay FIRST...it's that simple.
The way you say they should focus on gameplay first makes me think that you think they shouldn't bother capping. Since I think you don't want them to spend time capping how good MyPlayers can be it makes me think that you think the process will take away substantial time from improving gameplay.

I think they can do both without gameplay advancements being hindered.

Quote:
And speed is different between different types of guys it's not hard to grasp that either. Lebron at his speed is a different type of fast compared to a guy like Ty Lawson but I bet their speeds are close in rating to eachother.
Lebron has a powerful kinda speed whereas Lawson is agile.
So by 2k15s rating standards, what speed do you think Lawson and Lebron should have?

Quote:
But yet a center can keep up with smaller guys on a break because their speeds are similar. Nothing to do with caps because they already have a 30 point difference.

It's been like that for years, it's nothing to do with overall ratings and it has everything to do with the core gameplay.
The difference in speed between players was off whack in 2k12 but I haven't seen a problem with it since. I have a 77 rated SF with 70 something speed and everyone is much faster than me. I also have a 77 rated C with 50 speed and I'm like a zombie on the court.

Last edited by MrBallaBoy21; 06-08-2015 at 02:22 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »