Home

So making a 7 ft. SF is the way to go for MyPark in 2k16?

This is a discussion on So making a 7 ft. SF is the way to go for MyPark in 2k16? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: So making a 7 ft. SF is the way to go for MyPark in 2k16?

The way I have begun to see it, it seems like what really has everyone up in arms is that 2k, at least as far as park/rec goes, is that it seems to have abandoned one of the core mechanics inherent to any game, from video games to competetive sports to chess: the principle of risk vs reward.

Though we don't often think about it,inherent to almost all well regarded games is the concept that one player or piece or whatever cannot be the great in every single aspect, if it were there is not much point to competing.

On this level,the actual enjoyment we derive is from that our resources are limited and must be managed strategically,planned decision making leading to a give and take scenario as we look for openings to press our advantages, while countering the opponents advantages.

I think that's what it comes back to: right now everyone is basically elite level at everything, combined with other problems with mechanics that limit alot of options,which removes alot of that strategic interplay so inherent to any game and more or less dumbs it down to a matter of just stacking certain other advantages that lay outside the realm of pure skill.

The number of time I have seen people say 'To really counter it just make one of your own", it seems like it has become a scenario of "all reward and no risk"...in effect now we have what claims to be a game, yet doesn't really play like a game;it plays like something else entirely, the inherent rules of which are not entirely clear, leading to alot of frustration.

Last edited by MrWrestling3; 06-05-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #58
Rookie

Hornetz's Arena

OVR: 7

This explains it perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
The way I have begun to see it, it seems like what really has everyone up in arms is that 2k, at least as far as park/rec goes, is that it seems to have abandoned one of the core mechanics inherent to any game, from video games to competetive sports to chess: the principle of risk vs reward.

Though we don't often think about it,inherent to almost all well regarded games is the concept that one player or piece or whatever cannot be the great in every single aspect, if it were there is not much point to competing.

On this level,the actual enjoyment we derive is from that our resources are limited and must be managed strategically,planned decision making leading to a give and take scenario as we look for openings to press our advantages, while countering the opponents advantages.

I think that's what it comes back to: right now everyone is basically elite level at everything, combined with other problems with mechanics that limit alot of options,which removes alot of that strategic interplay so inherent to any game and more or less dumbs it down to a matter of just stacking certain other advantages that lay outside the realm of pure skill.

The number of time I have seen people say 'To really counter it just make one of your own", it seems like it has become a scenario of "all reward and no risk"...in effect now we have what claims to be a game, yet doesn't really play like a game;it plays like something else entirely, the inherent rules of which are not entirely clear, leading to alot of frustration.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #59
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
You are oblivious to the issues .
Yea because I'm not a legend 3 who's been playing 2K since 2003. No, I don't know the issues. Don't be a knowitall.

-Allen Iverson
Old 06-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #60
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8

Here's how I see it.

Making your player play how you want is important, but when a mode is tied to an online game mode balances must take place.

If you want a 7'0 SF like KD cool, go for it. But KD is nowhere near as fast as Russel Westbrook, nowhere near as strong as Lebron, can't handle the rock like Kyrie Irving, and cannot rebound like DeAndre Jordan.

2k makes great basketball games imo, but the way they rate players has always been pretty darn bad. Onyx Wilt with 94 speed and Ruby(or whatever he is) Blake with 99 speed proves it.(I don't care how good Wilt was at track in the 50s, he never earned an olympic gold medal so f him having 99 speed).

There is enough data on basketball players to put every possible playstyle with the appropriate caps in this basketball game to balance it. If you can't have fun with a realistic player then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

If you can't have fun sacrificing rebounding, defense, strength, and elite speed to play with a 7'0 sharpshooter that can handle the ball then I don't know what to say to you. KD is rated in the mid 90s with these ratings so what is the problem?

I just don't get it man. This game is easy. Really easy. You can average 30pts 10rebs and 10assists a game with a 70 rated player, what harm is a realistic attribute cap gonna do? How will it hurt your fun to play with a player that is believable with as easy as this game is?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:55 AM   #61
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBallaBoy21
Here's how I see it.

Making your player play how you want is important, but when a mode is tied to an online game mode balances must take place.

If you want a 7'0 SF like KD cool, go for it. But KD is nowhere near as fast as Russel Westbrook, nowhere near as strong as Lebron, can't handle the rock like Kyrie Irving, and cannot rebound like DeAndre Jordan.

2k makes great basketball games imo, but the way they rate players has always been pretty darn bad. Onyx Wilt with 94 speed and Ruby(or whatever he is) Blake with 99 speed proves it.(I don't care how good Wilt was at track in the 50s, he never earned an olympic gold medal so f him having 99 speed).

There is enough data on basketball players to put every possible playstyle with the appropriate caps in this basketball game to balance it. If you can't have fun with a realistic player then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

If you can't have fun sacrificing rebounding, defense, strength, and elite speed to play with a 7'0 sharpshooter that can handle the ball then I don't know what to say to you. KD is rated in the mid 90s with these ratings so what is the problem?

I just don't get it man. This game is easy. Really easy. You can average 30pts 10rebs and 10assists a game with a 70 rated player, what harm is a realistic attribute cap gonna do? How will it hurt your fun to play with a player that is believable with as easy as this game is?
There have been attribute caps, guys still complained. There are height caps, guys still complained. At some point you online guys have to accept that people are going to go after the most OP build, whether it's a 6'4" 87 ovr PG or a 7' 99 ovr SF. Limiting players does not create balance. Making defense matter more creates balance. Making shot selection matter more creates balance.

I guarantee you, that if they add "realistic" attribute caps, that online guys will still be complaining next year about some other OP thing and some other suggestion about how to fix something that's not broken anywhere else. They did it with so-called "charge cheese", "off-ball defense cheese", "cherry picking cheese", "points in the paint cheese" the pump fake foul etc. All of these were very minimal issues outside of online play with a certain type of player. The ability to draw a decent charge still hasn't recovered, CPU teammates are even dumber on defense sagging 5-6 ft off of great shooters, routine passes(with good passers) to start the break are sailing 5 ft over guys' heads, teammates constantly missing bunnies, that dunk/throw animation that triggers far too often and no ability make a guy pay for biting on the pump fakes by forcing the foul and possibly getting an and-1.

Last edited by nova91; 06-06-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2015, 05:24 AM   #62
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova91
There have been attribute caps, guys still complained. There are height caps, guys still complained. At some point you online guys have to accept that people are going to go after the most OP build, whether it's a 6'4" 87 ovr PG or a 7' 99 ovr SF. Limiting players does not create balance. Making defense matter more creates balance. Making shot selection matter more creates balance.
From my many years of experience with this game franchise, what has always effected the game the most are the player ratings, the sliders, and the difficulty(in that order). Some of the rosters I've downloaded from here(Sim World, Nogster, etc.) make the game play so much better it's not even funny, and they do this every year no matter what shape the game is in fundamentally.

You are not limiting players by giving them rating standards based on real basketball in what is supposed to be a basketball simulation videogame. What can you not do with a 7 ft MyPlayer with similar ratings to Kevin Durant? Or a 6'8 MyPlayer with Lebron's ratings?

Quote:
I guarantee you, that if they add "realistic" attribute caps, that online guys will still be complaining next year about some other OP thing and some other suggestion about how to fix something that's not broken anywhere else. They did it with so-called "charge cheese", "off-ball defense cheese", "cherry picking cheese", "points in the paint cheese" the pump fake foul etc. All of these were very minimal issues outside of online play with a certain type of player. The ability to draw a decent charge still hasn't recovered, CPU teammates are even dumber on defense sagging 5-6 ft off of great shooters, routine passes(with good passers) to start the break are sailing 5 ft over guys' heads, teammates constantly missing bunnies, that dunk/throw animation that triggers far too often and no ability make a guy pay for biting on the pump fakes by forcing the foul and possibly getting an and-1.
That has nothing to do with balancing the creation of MyPlayers by limiting them to a specific playstyle with ratings caps. This is a ratings issue, not a code issue.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #63
Rookie

Online there should be attribute caps defined by your player's position,height and weight just like on FIFA. Wanna be a 7 foot SF ? Sure but you're gonna be slower than a SF who is 6'7 or 6'8. A 7'3 320 pound center will have a substantially lower vertical cap than a 6'11 270 pound center. People can't point to players like KD and Giannis as those guys are the exception not the rule. Online has to be balanced.
Offline however you should be allowed to have whatever attributes you want.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #64
Just started!

We've been complaining about 7ft small forwards for 4-5 years now. Let's hope they fix it this year and by fix i don't mean make the max height 6'11. I mean base attribute caps on position AND height.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »