Home

Could NBA 2K16 be Implementing College Hoops?

This is a discussion on Could NBA 2K16 be Implementing College Hoops? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Could NBA 2K16 be Implementing College Hoops?

It seems like some people seem to think cost or money would be the issue here, but what if 2K is so flush with cash from VC sales that it gave them the ability to add college licenses to the game?

This is why when I see people complain about the "money" game modes and how "greedy" 2K is, I laugh. They don't even realize that the more money 2K makes selling digital in-game currency, the more money they have to improve the game.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #34
Rookie

This mode is pretty easy to do in regards to its foundation, I dont know why potentially they have to make it harder on themselves and make it less enjoyable. The key to a mode like this is options. Endless options. You flood the user w/ options. You dont restrict them in a story you can only play once with binary good guy/bad guy options that really dont change the story.

You give a player pre-draft workouts, the draft, the season, offseason activites as the base. But you load up o options such as growing your player's personality, what exact skills he has, endorsement deals from shoes to local, to and more engaging social media platform. But you dont (like we saw last year) give a story in which you limit yourself through the same lines recorded (w/ terrible acting) from a player on every team.

If I want to bring in my own roster, you let me. Matter of fact, you dont even need voice acting. It would make it shiner, but this mode, or modes like it doesnt need it. The experience and value comes from making a player your own and giving him the experience any NBA gets to have.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #35
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

If they are going to do a college tournament or some sorts which is unlikely since all the legal stuff and teams would have to be worked around. Maybe they could have you face off vs real life people that will already be in the game and just fill out the roster with generic people. Several people from teams like Kentucky, Duke, Wisc, etc will already be in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #36
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I think that College games are better made for the Ultimate Team experience. There are way more players and teams to choose from. Instead of every team having the same 5 or 6 top players in the league. Then the college version of a player would vary from their pro selves. For instance, Tyler Hansborough would be a better collegiate player than Paul George even though George is clearly the better pro.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #37
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

I have a feeling this isn't going to have any gameplay involved with the colleges and it'll just be the game referencing where you went to school more in the cutscenes.

Right now you pick your school and that's it. The game never references it again outside of the draft cutscene. It'd fit in well with having Clark Kellogg as an analyst too, since he basically only does college games anymore.

---

However, I would love to see a small NCAA tournament though, similar to what they had back in NCAA Football when you played the high school football playoffs.

For example, the mode starts with your team in the Sweet 16 automatically (They could get around this by calling it something else, if they don't want to get NCAA licensing). You're the star and each game you have to matchup with a guy from this coming draft. You play the 4 games and each game your stock rises in the NBA Draft. If you lose, which is possible, you have to do well in the draft combine. I guess the "combine" would just basically a few scrimmages against other draft people as I think Mini-games to decide overalls in sports games are lazy. Plus I just want to play the game. The "Combine" would be sort of the same thing as the Rising Stars game, but that game is old and tired and needs to go away. They could throw in some NBATV graphics for this.

They could also implement this in the Euroleague side too, just swapping out the teams and saying you went to Europe out of High school. They already have the teams and the players, so I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to have a fake Euroleague playoffs system in place.

You could go a lot of ways with the story doing something like this as well. Like agents trying to get to you in cut scenes, random dudes trying to be your friend to get cash from you when you "make it", etc.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 8
I think the story might be cool since its Spike Lee but i'm not just a fan of the basketball games being pretty much scripted during certain parts of the season, not a fan of everyone having the same story as my player, rather have more control of my story.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #39
Just started!

whitejacob43's Arena

Pls 2K, this would be awesome.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by @marcusjiles
This mode is pretty easy to do in regards to its foundation, I dont know why potentially they have to make it harder on themselves and make it less enjoyable. The key to a mode like this is options. Endless options. You flood the user w/ options. You dont restrict them in a story you can only play once with binary good guy/bad guy options that really dont change the story.

You give a player pre-draft workouts, the draft, the season, offseason activites as the base. But you load up o options such as growing your player's personality, what exact skills he has, endorsement deals from shoes to local, to and more engaging social media platform. But you dont (like we saw last year) give a story in which you limit yourself through the same lines recorded (w/ terrible acting) from a player on every team.

If I want to bring in my own roster, you let me. Matter of fact, you dont even need voice acting. It would make it shiner, but this mode, or modes like it doesnt need it. The experience and value comes from making a player your own and giving him the experience any NBA gets to have.
Exactly that's what i want them to do with this mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »