Home

Layup initiations and 2man animations

This is a discussion on Layup initiations and 2man animations within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you welcome defensive positioning cancel layup attempts?
yes 8 61.54%
no 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Layup initiations and 2man animations

Just let the defender have an option to do a verticality contest attempt, that would make the layups harder if it's a guard trying to layup on a center there should never be an animation to where the center gets ran over. Maybe guard vs guard or sf?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
I feel you, really do. And as much as i agree with the sentiment, i just couldnt vote yes.

What you're suggesting is a bandaid. It's confusing to the general game player to enter various commands and get met with a generic "failure" result.

I would be in favor of just as many failing animations as there are successful animations so when an ill-advised attempt is made, it can be reflected.

Another problem is that too many animations take the offensive player all the way to the rim regardless of ratings, momentum or size.
This is a good post. All sports games need way more failing animations, but the key is for those animations to be realistic and contextual, and not over the top, spaz out of control, go totally brain dead, failure like is often shown in games.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

It concerns me that people are voting yes to this When like I said the real problem is the lack of shot blocking. Real interior defense is played by blocking and contesting shots, not "countering" layups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
It concerns me that people are voting yes to this When like I said the real problem is the lack of shot blocking. Real interior defense is played by blocking and contesting shots, not "countering" layups.
I feel much the same....i think if worked on improving defense in general and fixed the baseline reverse animations, alot of these issues would correct themselves.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #13
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Just give me better foot planting! Stop defensive players from sliding so damn much on the slightest movement, and the rest should fall into place.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Quote:
i think you are ignoring the fact that certain offensive animations can initiate in tight defensive coverage. In live a "bump" animation would initiation if you tried a eurostep with a tightly guarded defender in front of you. If you had no room to initiate the animation it wouldnt start.

Sorry if the first post is misleading. Here is visual representation of what I am trying to say at 2:30 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xD...mXpgiTaKoCsUaL

Last edited by thedream2k16; 06-13-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I voted no on this but I think the issue is deeper than that just countering layups but I do think blocks are a part of the problem.

1. The layup animations don't have any branch points. If the game says open layup and you get an open layup animation there is no branch in the animation. The game will let not let you counter with a block attempt. It may even delay your block attempt.

Since you don't have to fear the big due to blocks being somewhat reduced when you attempt a layup you can get away with too many layups.

They need many and I mean many more "contact" layup animations to be triggered. There are too many "open" motion captured layups triggered in traffic. These are not always fouls either just light contact. There are not many if at all "fail" layups or out of control layups

The real life counters to layups is either stripping the ball, block, or riding the person doing the layup in hopes of creating enough contact to alter the shot without getting a foul call.

The guys that can get in the paint and finish and cause real trouble on layups are really few and far between.

Harden, Westbrook, Wall, LeBron, Tyreke, Teague, Kyrie

They are really fast or just really good at finishing contact layups.

2. I actually think some of the animations for the layups when you have momentum animate too slowly and the defense is way slow to rotate. It makes even worse when you can't effect some animations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
i think you are ignoring the fact that certain offensive animations can initiate in tight defensive coverage. In live a "bump" animation would initiation if you tried a eurostep with a tightly guarded defender in front of you. If you had no room to initiate the animation it wouldnt start.

Sorry if the first post is misleading. Here is visual representation of what I am trying to say at 2:30 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xD...mXpgiTaKoCsUaL
It's a useful idea. But I'd rather his guy did a usesless baby hop to convey the command went through.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »