Home

Layup initiations and 2man animations

This is a discussion on Layup initiations and 2man animations within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you welcome defensive positioning cancel layup attempts?
yes 8 61.54%
no 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Layup initiations and 2man animations

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I voted no on this but I think the issue is deeper than that just countering layups but I do think blocks are a part of the problem.

1. The layup animations don't have any branch points. If the game says open layup and you get an open layup animation there is no branch in the animation. The game will let not let you counter with a block attempt. It may even delay your block attempt.

Since you don't have to fear the big due to blocks being somewhat reduced when you attempt a layup you can get away with too many layups.

They need many and I mean many more "contact" layup animations to be triggered. There are too many "open" motion captured layups triggered in traffic. These are not always fouls either just light contact. There are not many if at all "fail" layups or out of control layups

The real life counters to layups is either stripping the ball, block, or riding the person doing the layup in hopes of creating enough contact to alter the shot without getting a foul call.

The guys that can get in the paint and finish and cause real trouble on layups are really few and far between.

Harden, Westbrook, Wall, LeBron, Tyreke, Teague, Kyrie

They are really fast or just really good at finishing contact layups.

2. I actually think some of the animations for the layups when you have momentum animate too slowly and the defense is way slow to rotate. It makes even worse when you can't effect some animations.
Some of can this actually be addressed to a degree with the right slider sets....while its definitely not the solution i think it shows that some tweaking combined with either a) better tested & optimized sliders by default or b) more freedom to utilize custom sliders could go a long way to dealing with some of the issues that currently plague the game.

Last edited by MrWrestling3; 06-13-2015 at 06:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »