Home

What Are Your Constructive Ideas for Improving Defense?

This is a discussion on What Are Your Constructive Ideas for Improving Defense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:45 AM   #49
Rookie

Roger_Black's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What Are Your Constructive Ideas for Improving Defense?

Not sure if this has ever been suggested before, but here’s an idea I had to improve BOTH Defense AND Offense (specifically) in MyCareer Mode….

FLOOR GENERAL “CHATS” WITH TEAMMATE(S)

To improve Defense (and Offense)… perhaps the 2K Developers should improve what players can do with that ’Floor General’ Badge.

In my opinion, the Floor General Badge should do MORE than just ‘demand the ball’ whenever we press the [x] button.

Everyone agrees, that the ‘Floor General’ is also the ‘Coach on the Floor’.

If so, he should be allowed to “discuss” situations with his teammates, not just demand the ball.

So in MyCareer Mode, since we cannot change the POE of the WHOLE TEAM in 2K15… maybe 2K developers should let a player who has earned the Floor General Badge have “chats” with his teammates on the court.

HOW IT WORKS

Very similar to POE.
Floor General ‘chats’ happen QUICKLY. (I made some screens below to help get a feel for it)

Let the Floor General have the ability to discuss some tactics with his teammates during certain “dead ball” situations:

- During Free Throws
- At the end of a ‘Time Out’, while heading back to the court

At these times, if you have the Floor General Badge you can press [triangle] to bring up a ‘Quick Chat’ Menu.

If we are currently on Offense, we can quickly access these 2 ’Offense Chat’ Screens:

If currently on Defense, we can quickly access these 2 ‘Defense Chat’ Screens:

Sometimes during a ‘dead ball’ situation… the Floor General may only have enough time to discuss one thing, with one person… before play starts again. (Just like in real life.)

With more experience, he can discuss multiple tactics with different teammates.

So in order to make it work in MyCareer Mode, maybe the 2K Devs should make the ‘Floor General’ Badge… an ’upgradable’ Badge…. with 4 different levels of usage:

NO Floor General Badge:
- You cannot demand the ball, but you can chat with any SINGLE teammate on the court (however they are more likely to just ignore your gameplan, especially during crunchtime)

BRONZE Floor General Badge:
- Demand the Ball + be able to ‘chat’ with any 2 teammates on the court

SILVER Floor General Badge:
- Demand the Ball + be able to ‘chat’ with any 3 teammates on the court

GOLD Floor General Badge:
- Demand the Ball + be able to ‘chat’ with all 4 teammates on the court)

And depending on how often & how well a player uses this ‘chat’ feature in MyCareer mode, it could possibly have a positive (or negative) affect on things like:
  • Team Chemistry
  • Coach Satisfaction
  • Social Media Messages
  • Story ‘Cutscenes’ with Teammates

Btw, If someone has already posted this same exact idea... my apologies.
I never saw it.

Last edited by Roger_Black; 06-29-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #50
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

I turn off who to guard and defensive assist so the game doesnt pull me around and I feel more in control.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #51
Just started!

Make centers like Jordan actually good rim protectors by allowing them to alter shots, not just block
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Another major issue is that even the Gap setting isn't "gappy" enough against players with no outside threat. Bogut rarely extends beyond the FT line on defense and spends his time mostly trying to avoid the 3 second call. Yet in 2K he's drawn out of the paint by players he has no business following out there.

There needs to be one more setting like "Drop to Paint" so that rim protectors can stay near or in the paint against players that are no threat outside. Currently there is no way to reproduce how most non-shooting bigs are played by other bigs. And there's no way to duplicate the infamous Bogut/Toney Allen "matchup" in the Grizzlies series.
The gap setting should be relative to who you're holding. You're right DJ at the three point line shouldn't have my big at the top of the key.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #53
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I think your "Dare to Shoot" setting would be the same or similar to my suggestion of a "Drop to Paint". Do you see it behaving differently in some situations?

One way to streamline the switch settings is by having one master switch setting and five positional roll defender settings for each player, so that you can configure who will switch onto the player when he is the ball handler in a pick and roll (and also if he is the roll man if you want to simplify, though there may be cases when the two are not the same):

Switch: Auto/Custom/Never/Always

Always -- works like the Switch setting now (not terribly useful)
Never -- disables switching and allows the current pick and roll Over/Under/Double/Hedge settings to work.
Auto -- will allow switches based on what the game determine are acceptable matchups for ball and roll defenders after the switch.
Custom -- enables the follow positional settings:

Switch From:
PG: Auto/Yes/No
SG: Auto/Yes/No
SF: Auto/Yes/No
PF: Auto/Yes/No
C: Auto/Yes/No
This may work. In my head I was thinking just add another column for the pick setter on offense and pick defender on defense

So say I am under Curry for pick defense it should be clear that Curry is who the screen is set for

CLE defense

I should have to cycle through the players on defense and offense. It seems tedious but that is the only way we get it realistic control

Pick Setter Pick Defender Action Curry Defender Action
Bogut Mosgov Go under Kyrie Go over
Bogut Thompson Switch Kyrie Go over
Lee Thompson Switch Kyrie Go Over

The Cav's pretty much switched all screens. I guess you can see why because they don't want individual assignments to get confusing. So they were willing to leave Thompson on Kyrie, Delly on Draymond etc. etc. no matter the mismatch. Where as GSW had more detailed game-planning for defending the PnR depending on who is running it.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #54
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Freedom of movment on defense!!!! Tired of ice skating, tired of opponent having force field around them when taking post fades to where the defender i am controlling cant move foward or jump
Old 06-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #55
Pro

hesko's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
This may work. In my head I was thinking just add another column for the pick setter on offense and pick defender on defense

So say I am under Curry for pick defense it should be clear that Curry is who the screen is set for

CLE defense

I should have to cycle through the players on defense and offense. It seems tedious but that is the only way we get it realistic control

Pick Setter Pick Defender Action Curry Defender Action
Bogut Mosgov Go under Kyrie Go over
Bogut Thompson Switch Kyrie Go over
Lee Thompson Switch Kyrie Go Over

The Cav's pretty much switched all screens. I guess you can see why because they don't want individual assignments to get confusing. So they were willing to leave Thompson on Kyrie, Delly on Draymond etc. etc. no matter the mismatch. Where as GSW had more detailed game-planning for defending the PnR depending on who is running it.
this would be dope. if they can figure out a way to simplify it and make it so the results wouln't be "automatic".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #56
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Need to add all this unnecessary CPU taking over my defender on post defense. Why does my guy jump on an up n under if I dont press any buttons? The user controlled post defenders actions should be independent of the offensive players. If i don't jump or put hands up manually then it shouldn't happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »