Home

What Are Your Constructive Ideas for Improving Defense?

This is a discussion on What Are Your Constructive Ideas for Improving Defense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #57
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: What Are Your Constructive Ideas for Improving Defense?

Make centers like Jordan actually good rim protectors by allowing them to alter shots, not just block
Old 07-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #58
Rookie

Once you are locked in on the dribbler with the on-ball defense animation, the player cannot shoot the ball or continue his dribble at a certain point. I was locked in on Westbrook with my on-ball D but he was able to break free and (clock at about .5 secs)shot the game winner (shooting it like he's wide open too). That isn't fair to the defender doing all that for the offense to get bailed out like that.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #59
Just started!

Make centers like Jordan actually good rim protectors by allowing them to alter shots, not just block
Old 07-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 9

One of the biggest issues I see is defenders continue to get bumped by cutting players and animations will take them out of good position.

I see too many good defenders in good position yet the ball handler will run into them, knocking them back with animations that create space.

Reduce long unnecessary animations for the defense and defenders!
Old 07-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #61
MVP

MontanaMan's Arena

Stop letting taller players run through/override me when I cut them off at the baseline. It's like they just take priority even though I beat them to the spot. It's annoying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #62
Banned

I read this post in the cheese thread and it made me think about how many people here could make positive suggestions about improving defense. Please go take a look at that before commenting in this thread.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #63
Banned

What Are Your Constructive Ideas for Improving Defense?

They need to overhaul the foot planting physics. That's the only way and constructive idea I have towards it.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #64
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

Someone already pointed out the collision animation that allows the offensive player to essentially push off the defender. This allows the offensive player to unfairly create space for an open look. It just drives me crazy when the CPU does this because it already knows immediately when it's open so it takes the jump shot before I can do anything.

There's also the bricked dunk that isn't a foul but isn't a block either. There's no collision, the defender is kind of just there. Also when the defender falls down when a ball handler runs into him but the ball handler continues on like there was no collision. Fast break ai needs to be retooled. Defenders seem to just pool under the basket, leaving offensive players open on the perimeter.

Those are just a few quick complaints though and not really about improving defense. I think what 2k needs to focus on would be defense around the rim, specifically hands up defense. I just don't know what is and what isn't a foul. Sometimes a guy will get clobbered trying to go to the rim (looks like a flagrant foul) but nothing is called. Other times a foul is called using just hands up defense. There is just too much discrepancy in calls. I know there is in real life but 2k takes it so far to the extreme that I think there is something wrong with the game engine.

2k should let players decide how hard they want to contest a layup. The harder you press the button the harder the contest. The harder you press the more likely you are to commit a foul but the offensive player is less likely to make the layup/dunk. Also implement the verticality rule into the game. If someone is driving to the hoop and you use the right stick to contest you should initiate a jumping, hands up collision like Roy Hibbert does so well. http://www.sbnation.com/2013/12/16/5...indiana-pacers This post on sbnation describes what I mean. I've seen some animations in the game that are like this but it should be more controllable by the user.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »