Home

The CPU doesn’t have the winning mentality on SUPERSTAR level

This is a discussion on The CPU doesn’t have the winning mentality on SUPERSTAR level within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
The CPU doesn’t have the winning mentality on SUPERSTAR level

Ok guys, I am just wondering if you guys agree, on SUPERSTAR level, the CPU doesn’t show me that it wants to win badly enough, while on HOF level, the CPU shows me that it will do anything to win (including to cheat). I think 2K needs to tune both levels, make SUPERSTAR more challenging yet make HOF less challenging. I am just wondering, do you guys even lose on SUPERSTAR? Or can you guys win HOF at all?

*I am asking because I am actually just starting to play the game, had been busy with life for the past year, and was playing FIFA a lot, thank you!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The CPU doesn’t have the winning mentality on SUPERSTAR level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Ok guys, I am just wondering if you guys agree, on SUPERSTAR level, the CPU doesn’t show me that it wants to win badly enough, while on HOF level, the CPU shows me that it will do anything to win (including to cheat). I think 2K needs to tune both levels, make SUPERSTAR more challenging yet make HOF less challenging. I am just wondering, do you guys even lose on SUPERSTAR? Or can you guys win HOF at all?

*I am asking because I am actually just starting to play the game, had been busy with life for the past year, and was playing FIFA a lot, thank you!!!

This is my first year playing NBA 2K and superstar gives me all that I can handle. I got frustrated with superstar and moved back to all star. But that is just me, I don't think I am very good at 2K yet as I see a lot of people saying they can beat superstar easily. Not me.

Any tips????? My biggest problem is my D. I just do not seem quick enough for the higher difficulty levels, the players move too fast for this old guy!

Thanks,
Old 07-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

I can't really speak for playing against the CPU on superstar, but I know that in an online quick match, the SS difficulty that it's on is DECENT.

I cannot stand playing on PRO, almost 0 skill and knowledge is required.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Pro

JoFri's Arena

jrose, did u mean yor cpu team mates slack in superstar while excel in hof? well, i lost to the warriors 4-2 at the second round playoffs using lakers at superstar level. i learned my game by playing all 82 games in season (gotten 7th seed). yor post prompts me to consider playing hof now ... Lol

mjm, there are many nice tips by sam pham and jerseymade. the former taught different defensive schemes / tactics such as hedge and double team (good for off ball D). the latter taught me how to 'cut' the opponent's drive by playing on-ball D (need to anticipate the moves). go youtube find.

personally, i like to try getting triple double every game by having kobe sagging off a non-offense guy like tony allen and help alot on defense (driving or post play by cpu as opponent). i will leave my big man to defend the paint, and kobe to get ready for the boards. this tactic cant apply to playing the warriors ... unless i set kobe to guard bogut!

i also find cpu tend to foul alot, i mean a lot, in the paint area when i set to 'protect the paint'. i prefer 'limit perimeter shots' now and control the big men to defend the rim. that means i need to forgo my triple double stats ...

curry was monster in that series, and i decided to play on ball on curry by switching kobe on him throughout the game. that gameplan worked for game 5. in game 6, the cpu somehow recognised my on-ball D and had klay to beat me from long range in the closing quarter. my cpu player couldnt guard him!

playing the playoffs is fun. and i'm having funcat the superstar level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Isn't HOF essentially meant for experts or masters of the game? Experts or masters that are able to overcome whatever wonky "cheats" the CPU may throw at them. This is the highest difficulty for NBA2k basketball. If you simply just started to play the game, why would you immediately waive the white flag so to speak and propose that 2k tone down HOF difficulty?

Serious questions to consider.

(1) What about all the individuals that are great 2k video gamers and dominate on HOF? If 2k toned down the difficulty on HOF, where would these gamers go?
(2) What happens if you start dominating the CPU on HOF? Are you going to all of a sudden propose that 2k should consider making HOF more difficult?
(3) Have you considered using the sliders for either Superstar or HOF to make things more or less challenging?

This reminds me of a thread created not too long ago by a user who was stuck between beginner/rookie and default/all star mode (is default all star or is there a veteran difficulty level?). If my recollection is correct, he was dominating on rookie. Moving up to the next level (default all-star level?) and he was getting frustrated using a poorly rated team. His thoughts was for 2k to somehow make the CPU on default all-star less challenging. His reasoning was that "default" should be relatively easy. He wanted to simply go home after work, relax, and enjoy a game of NBA2k without much frustration because video games should be fun.

Bottom line is this: This is more speaking in a general sense not directed at any one specific person. Why are gamers in such a hurry to "beat" the game so to speak? Please stop asking the developers to make things easier. If the gamer wants to get better, s/he should put in the time. I would rather see more developers legitimately amp up the artificial intelligence. Asking to remove "cheats" is fine, but then, how about asking the developers to kick the artificial intelligence up a few more notches.

This has nothing to do with NBA2k but your request conjures up this image and reminds me of some gamers these days ... oh great someone beat the game in 2-3 days and are now able to trade it in for credit or for a new game ...

http://cheezburger.com/7768608256

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-20-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Banned

I agree the difference in difficulty is to much I used to only play HOF but this year I toned it down to superstar after not being able to win and often going on long losing streaks and usually only win by a few points even with Westbrook and Durant scoring 30-40 on top of my 40. After turning it to superstar we went undefeated for the entire remanded of the season after all star break.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Rookie

JohnnyCash2015's Arena

Quote:

Completely agree.

This has been going on for years.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
MVP

Imo, part of the issue with the difficulty levels stems in part from the mentality of the 2k community; in 2k live streams and even in the forums, the default attitude is often "If you don't play on HoF,you aren't any good".

Generally the 2k community Youtube also puts forth this attitude, this is compounded by people basically being able to post up only highlight reels to make themselves look better at the game than they are.

To me,it is this attitude that, in part, leads people to think they have to rush to max difficulty as soon as possible.That in turn leads to various complaints of things being "too hard" or "too easy", which can make difficulty tuning very tricky.

We need to remember that not everyone is going to be an expert, and putting the game on what is essentially "Let the CPU be as cheap as possible" isn't going to be everyone's idea of fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »