Home

Too many missed uncontested layups...

This is a discussion on Too many missed uncontested layups... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
G*t'ch* G*m* *p!

Tilted Brim's Arena

OVR: 7

2K please fix this... Its the most frustrating thing in the game is for a center (not rated 90 or higher) to miss virtually 50 % of their shots right under the rim if there is someone within arms reach. This is the thing that makes me want to throw my controller through the screen more than anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Pro

JoFri's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Too many missed uncontested layups...

yes, and shaq couldnt dunk under the basket. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Brim
2K please fix this... Its the most frustrating thing in the game is for a center (not rated 90 or higher) to miss virtually 50 % of their shots right under the rim if there is someone within arms reach. This is the thing that makes me want to throw my controller through the screen more than anything else.
The secret is not to go right back up with the ball... I had this issue, let's say it's an offensive rebounding situation, you get the ball on the right side of the rim, cross under the hoop towards the
Left side, then do your dunk or layup, and you'll be fine.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
MVP

jk31's Arena

Thing is you have to see these layups as contested. As you said, there are defenders within reach. If 2k makes it again, that under the basket layups are 100% makes, everybody complains again. I like it as it is now. Now your opponent cannot pass the ball just in traffi and go up for easy buckets.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Post a video of it happening. It is 2015.

I don't believe most of you understand what an uncontested layup is in this game

There is proximity defense in this game. While you might not see a defender use his hands/arms to defend the shot, him being there still influences the outcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemthethriller
The secret is not to go right back up with the ball... I had this issue, let's say it's an offensive rebounding situation, you get the ball on the right side of the rim, cross under the hoop towards the
Left side, then do your dunk or layup, and you'll be fine.
Yep,when i play my big after i grab the board i look to see which side of the hoop is the most open then step to that side and finish with a dunk or lay in.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Roger_Black's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Post a video of it happening. It is 2015.

I don't believe most of you understand what an uncontested layup is in this game

There is proximity defense in this game. While you might not see a defender use his hands/arms to defend the shot, him being there still influences the outcome.

True, but MyCareer mode has the same 'missed layups' issue that needs to be fixed.

In MyCareer mode, when you pass to a cpu teammate (especially a big man) who is wide open... they will miss at least 80-90% of their 'first attempt' layups.

Agreed, the 'proximity defense' of the cpu opponents affects their ability to take 'uncontested' layups on the 'first attempt'.

And on higher difficulty levels... seems our teammates are less likely to make layups whenever a defender is merely 'in their vicinity'. (Regardless if they actually 'contest' the shot, or not.)

Notice how your cpu teammate will either miss their first shot attempt, or select a layup animation that allows their defender to easily 'recover' if they were beaten badly on the play.

(For example: you pass to a teammate who is wide open and can make an easy 'uncontested' layup on the LEFT side of the basket.... But they will instead opt to take a 'reverse layup' right into traffic on the RIGHT side of the basket, once they catch the ball)

Either way, the result is usually the same... a missed layup... that was very makeable by a pro-level ballplayer.

But sometimes if your teammate misses their first layup attempt, they will grab a quick rebound and score a 'putback' bucket. (Depending on their rating/abilities)

However, there is a BIG difference when you are playing defense in MyCareer mode and the cpu offense makes the very same type of play.

They usually score on their 'first attempt' at a much, much higher rate than your teammates do.

Plus, the cpu offensive player usually gets the better 'shot animation', which does not steer them directly into the heart of your defense, unlike the layups your teammates tend to take.

Furthermore, the slightest 'bump animation' will usually throw-off the layups your cpu teammates take & cause them to miss very makeable shots directly under the rim, even if their defender is behind them, unable to 'contest' the shot.

Meanwhile the cpu offense (in MyCareer mode) has very little problems scoring 'contested' layups, or finishing a play during a slight 'bump animation'.

Even the very best big men in the league will constantly miss easy/open layups on the 'first attempt' if they are on your same team in MyCareer mode.

Right now, in MyCareer mode I play PG... and I have Anthony Davis starting on my team at PF.... Now I play HOF with 8-minute quarters.... and after playing 76 games straight... He has only successfully made about 5 or 6 layups on his very 'first attempt' during the WHOLE season.

No matter how many times I pass him the ball, he misses everything on his 'first try' and is averaging just under 10 ppg.

He only makes short jumpers in transition and (uncontested) alley-oop dunks on the fast break, but misses every single layup (on the first try) whenever he 'drives to the bucket' on his own, in half-court 'set plays'.

He's only had ONE single game where he scored more than 20+ points... And that's only because he scored HALF those points from the free-throw line. Smh.

It's aggravating watching him miss layup after layup... Then fight for a rebound and score a putback every so often.

Last edited by Roger_Black; 07-26-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Brim
you can have a high rated center , doesnt mean standing layup rating is high enough EX dwight howard

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »