Home

Being to good (mycareer)

This is a discussion on Being to good (mycareer) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Being to good (mycareer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFurr29
That's my biggest complaint. If I play on HOF my teammates will suck so I'll have to score 60 to win. Which once or twice in a blue moon is fine but every game?
i can be passive to reduce my scoring but then the team will suck.
I wish, especially for the first couple years, it'd be tough to score more than 15-20

I got a player of every position except SF. I find PG the hardest mainly because I have the least experience in it (cuz I've run big man for a minute.)

However, the thing I realized is that I have nfi what the computer players are gonna do. I know I could *learn* it because everything else in 2k follows a pattern, but it's like why not cut? Where a human player would cut the computer never does. Or if you throw a pass too late the computer starts running out of the lane. It's like why... why would you cut then loop back out like that? Just stand there for like 1 second.

It's so much easier to score than it is to get an assist. You can dribble around in circles and get a jumper, but if you wanna set up a play where you get an assist? The defense doesn't move like players move and your teammates have no intuition. I'm cool with having players having different IQs, but there has to be one or two guys on each team that know how to read the D and make a cut.

Like I said, I accept that it's my fault in a way because I could learn how to 'exploit' the system, but as for feeling like you're really running the point, it doesn't. You can get into the lane too easily and dudes never show, or when they do they can still just do insane tips or that stuff where the computer defender from another guy just does a running two hand grab of it.

-Smak
Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I try to make a player based on Scottie Pippen but the game almost requires you to be a lethal scorer
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah the game forces you to score yourself, which is complete crap. I have a center with no offensive skills. Guess what the AI does? I want to set a pick for my PG, he passes me the ball at the 3 pt line...

Other thing, like someone before already posted. After the creation of my SG, where he had no notable shooting skills, the coach was already calling one shooting play after another for me -.- It is so annoying. This mode has nothing to do with how basketball is played. Just take the ball and play hero ball, because a) the AI passes to you all the time and b) your teammates are too dumb to take good decisions themselves...
Old 08-04-2015, 02:20 AM   #20
Rookie

Jv160's Arena

It should be less about your player, I wanna feel like I'm playing with the team. And where is the coach? He's horrible at managing minutes, no focus on defense, no double teams, no set defense on screens. I'm tired of these miss assignment when there's no strategy from the coach. Hey coach call a play during timeout.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:42 AM   #21
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

To me, it's not even about being too good, it's about your teammates being ***. It makes no sense for your team, even a team with a healthy KD, LeBron or Curry, to rely so heavily on such a low rated player to put up big numbers to squeak out a 2 point win. Even when you become an All Star caliber player, the game doesn't give you leeway to have an off night; if you don't bring your A+ game every night your team will struggle. You can't be a role player or 2nd option, you HAVE to be a superstar or option 1/1A to not have your team constantly in the lottery.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jv160
It should be less about your player, I wanna feel like I'm playing with the team. And where is the coach? He's horrible at managing minutes, no focus on defense, no double teams, no set defense on screens. I'm tired of these miss assignment when there's no strategy from the coach. Hey coach call a play during timeout.
Agreed, one of my biggest gripes is how bad a job the cpu does at coaching/managing your team;it does a terrible job of managing minutes/rotations, it literally wastes timeouts instead of being strategic with them, leaves the wrong PoE's on for extended periods, and just generally shows a complete inability to adapt to what the other team is doing.

The way it is right now, not only do I feel like I have to carry teammates who will literally just stop trying whenever they feel like it, I have to also do the head coach's job too;it really gets to be too much after a while.

In this way, I feel like the mode somewhat encapsulates the biggest complaint most people have about the game: too much focus on solo accomplishment and not enough on team play and cooperation.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #23
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
Agreed, one of my biggest gripes is how bad a job the cpu does at coaching/managing your team;it does a terrible job of managing minutes/rotations, it literally wastes timeouts instead of being strategic with them, leaves the wrong PoE's on for extended periods, and just generally shows a complete inability to adapt to what the other team is doing.

The way it is right now, not only do I feel like I have to carry teammates who will literally just stop trying whenever they feel like it, I have to also do the head coach's job too;it really gets to be too much after a while.

In this way, I feel like the mode somewhat encapsulates the biggest complaint most people have about the game: too much focus on solo accomplishment and not enough on team play and cooperation.
This is one of the things I've been harping on for a while. The AI is too dumb to let it make decisions without more human input. I feel that if/when you get the On Court Coach badge/trait, you should be able to adjust these when your on the floor. Yeah, calling plays is good, but calling out the plays is only part of it, you need to be able to tell your teammates "Hey, crash the offensive boards" or "Get back on D" or "Double him" or "Help off of him" etc. Or when you become a star you get some input on rotations and minutes; if the coach likes your suggestions he'll make the changes, if he doesn't he'll veto them or make a compromise and make it somewhere in between what you suggested and what he likes. That keeps you from playing 40+ minutes every night and 4th quarter blowouts and it keeps the CPU from using the entire bench all the time.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #24
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

I've just read through what every one of you guys have said in this thread, and agree with pretty much everything mentioned. I LOVED MyCareer mode, because it used to be so good when it first evolved. But painting a story on top of the exact same gameplay, and then making it easier even than before with VC, the mode is completely stale.

I don't think 2k will do much different with this year's game, as they obviously brough in Spike Lee to just have a different "Story". But it isn't the story that has caused the mode to get stale, it is the lack of real NBA basketball, the focus entirely on arcade style play where your player dominates at all times. Where is the challenge? Where is the feeling of accomplishment as your player slowly improves over time instead of being a mega star who can put up 50+ every single game? Where is the Simulation aspect of the difficulty of playing in the NBA?

I ended up playing 75% MyLeague in 2k15, with all kinds of custom settings and sliders to make the most realistic playing game I could. MyGM got stale real fast, as once your GM leveled up enough it was FAR too easy. And of course, MyCareer was just an annoying storyline forced into poorly executed, basically arcade style NBA basketball. I don't see much changing in my plans for 2k16.

Last edited by HypoLuxa13; 08-04-2015 at 12:51 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »