Home

Full Control Alley Oops (Suggestion)

This is a discussion on Full Control Alley Oops (Suggestion) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Full Control Alley Oops (Suggestion)

So seeing as how it's extremely easy to throw and connect an alley oop, I came up with an idea I though might make them harder to pull off.

Right now you literally just throw a lob pass and no matter where the guy is they will begin this ridiculous animation of running to catch the pass. You can't really target who you're throwing it to. You can press the direction and hope, but say you're running a 3 on 1 and you want to throw it to the trail man but in this game you'll just throw it to the guy in front.

Not to mention it's waaaay to easy to just throw lobs in the park or rec. Yes ppl can bump you or swat/steal it, but there's no risk reward system for throwing it. Once you throw it, it's going in almost 90% of the time. You may get blocked depending on the animation or you may just miss but this 2 things are really rare.

My full control suggestions are as follows...

Alley Oop Gather - Tap square/x while running towards the hoop (release to jump)
Fancy Alley Oop Gather (360s & etc) - Tap square/x while holding sprint (release to jump)
Alley Oop Catch - Y/Triangle
Basic Alley Oop Slam - Tap square after you have caught the pass
Fancy Alley Oop Slam - Hold shot stick in any direction to finish fancy gather

In order for these controls to work we'd now need the option to chose whether our player is better at 1 foot or 2 feet gathers. Or you could make a guy that's good at both but 1 would suffer a slight penalty so it's not too easy. Or just make it a badge. Either way I thought of these considering we're on PS4 & XBOXONE now. Given this game relies heavily on animations triggering, I figured this would solve a lot of problems with alley oops in Park/Rec/Online in general and make them more accomplishing.

You should be able to chose your alley oop animations and not have them just be random based on your dunk rating/badges. Like some guys just jump high and finish like Deandre Jordan. Some guards like to finish fancy (JR Smith, Gerald Green)

With these controls, it would not only make it more difficult to execute, it would make it more rewarding. It's not easy to catch and finish an alley oop and I think the game should consider that you have to find the ball, catch the ball and finish the actual play. The gather could either be Triangle or Square. But the point I'm trying to make is the more control, the better. Then you could add high lobs, quick lobs, fancy lobs with the passer and take it up even further.

Now even after you catch the pass, the higher the difficulty, the smaller the window to make it. It would be like a mini game ala the shot meter. If you press it right you'll succeed. Press it wrong and you'll miss/get hung or jump to early or too late. Now considering rec and park are on different settings, it would still allow of easier park oops, but it would make rec oops harder to pull off if the timing is wrong. If I press the dunk button too early before I hit the rim it should clank off or something lol.

I could only hope for these controls lol but what do you guys think?

I can clear up any questions about how this may or may not work too...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Full Control Alley Oops (Suggestion)

It sounds like the dunk contest from Live back in the day. All of these controls sound great for a dunk contest but how would one pull that off in a game with all the other controls already mapped? It sounds like you would have to engage into a alley oops mode via a single button first, like the post up button. Then all your controls would activate. Even then when is the right time to activate this button on the fly?

I think making the alley oops harder is a sound idea. It would make pulling off one way more rewarding. But the control mapping you described is too cumbersome for me at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant for gathering to be linked to the same button as grabbing a rebound. I'll edit later.

The advanced gathering would actually be more for off ball control too.
I only play rec/park/my career so if I don't have the ball, I'm off ball.
I just witness so many alley oops I figured more advanced controls would prevent spamming.

I guess it is a little complicated tbh lol. At 1st it was just regular then I figured adding the fancy oops because of the 360 oops, between the legs oops and etc I've seen.

It would stay the same if you're playing 5v5. User v CPU or User v user.

You throw the oop and the guy it's intended for would trigger the same animation it already does now. But instead of automatically jumping, you hit gather to jump like getting a rebound or tip dunk. Then after you hit jump you hit the button to dunk. It's really only 2 buttons. Or 1 button and push of the shot stick.

It would work the same as it does now in how you have to press shoot to finish the oop. Only now you would have to press the button to jump too.

Make sense now?

Last edited by 24ct; 07-29-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I think just having people miss more often would be a much simpler solution.

Having people have to press the shoot button/stick to finish an oop was a nice start, but other than just making them a riskier play, I'm not sure what else 2K can really do with them.

I'd like to have an alley oop system where you have to actually place the pass. The ball would go directly wherever you're pointing the L-stick, so it would be possible to mess up and hit the backboard or throw it behind your teammate. Thing is, I don't think that analog sticks have the kind of finite control you'd need to make that kind of a system work.

What they have now is fine, it just needs to be less successful in traffic.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
MVP

I've always been an advocate of:

A.) Lobber having to place the pass

And

B.) Making the receiver MANUALLY RUN THE ROUTE.

That way, those 'bailout' lob passes people do when they're in trouble are negated.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »