Home

At the cost of sounding horrible, Why is offball Defense Rewarded?

This is a discussion on At the cost of sounding horrible, Why is offball Defense Rewarded? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2015, 02:30 AM   #9
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: At the cost of sounding horrible, Why is offball Defense Rewarded?

Off ball defense is effective because of the terrible floor spacing, terrible floaty, slow passes, terrible catching and what I like to call 'the halfway contest'(When you get an open shot the defender sprints at you and bumps you midway through your shot causing you to miss. Should be a foul everytime)
Combine that with zone and it becomes even more annoying.

There may be some hope for 2K16 though. They're trying to go competitive and they MIGHT have to clean up their game
Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 AM   #10
Rookie

Guys play ON BALL D!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:35 AM   #11
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Hmmm.... 2K allows the option for users to do many things and some people either use them correctly or abuse them.

Now when i play a game of 2K i play to win. I could care less what the other guy does, I am in it to beat him my way vs his way. Now i understand why you are frustrated facing lower skilled players with inferior tactics; my suggestion to you would be to play high skill level players. Online randoms are going to be bad, join a sim league and all your worries would be over.

I don't like online head to head, that game mode worsens me as a player even if i win 10 in a row. If you want good basketball stay away from it and join a sim league. Or post a challenge on here for a sim game and i am sure someone will answer the call ^_^

Sam Pham
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 9

Out of all the games I've played online in My Team this year, maybe 2-3 of those games people were playing on ball defense. Practically everyone you play will control someone away from the ball. It's silly because you go online to play against other people not to play against the CPU.

It's really all about winning. On ball defense is not easy and most people would rather get a few extra wins than have more fun by truly going head to head. The thing that kills me are settings like "automatic shot contest" Online, there should be no such setting. If you want to contest then you need to hit Y/Triangle to jump yourself.

2K needs to give us full off ball offensive controls again. That way we can move players around at will. Somebody is playing deny ball defense in the corner? Make him cut back door for the lob. Let us manually go around screens off the ball like Ray Allen style. That would be fun and experienced gamers would have more tools at their disposal to dominate the off ball strategy.

The most important thing you can do though is play my career on hall of fame. Practicing against the CPU cheese offline will teach you how to get by the CPU. Online the difficulty is never high so you will have it really easy beating them. I've learned how to consistently beat the CPU off the dribble, in the post, with pick and rolls etc so it doesn't even matter if people are playing off ball. It would be much more fun though to play against people that play like me though.

It really comes down to people wanting to win. Thats why people use cheesy tactics just to give them an edge to compete because they aren't good enough otherwise.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Smoove
It's really all about winning. On ball defense is not easy and most people would rather get a few extra wins than have more fun by truly going head to head. The thing that kills me are settings like "automatic shot contest" Online, there should be no such setting. If you want to contest then you need to hit Y/Triangle to jump yourself.

One of devs said on tweeter Auto contest won't be in 2k16. That's just a silly feature that had no place in online play. Playing on ball D is a skill that most ppl aren't willing to learn. Like you said it's much easier to play off ball.

XBL Scramz B
Old 07-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
MVP

jk31's Arena

Problem with Offball Defense is the same as with other cheese things:

As a new player you can either choose the difficult way of learning how to ball or choose the easy way, meaning learn to cheese. The peak of how good you can be is much higher if you learn how to ball. But the problem here is, that by learning cheap moves like offball defense and what not else you will still be quite good.

If people would get beaten to a pulp everytime by using those cheap moves, would anyone doubt those people would gladly want to learn how to win? I absolutely think so. But it is much easier for a beginner to rely on cheap moves than to actually learn the game the hard way.

Hard to describe what I mean, but I hope you get what I'm saying?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
Banned

actually the absolute truth is because of online lag!!!!! I've been playing 2k since the dream cast days, and I remember there was always some sim dudes and people complaining about on ball defense. You have 5 dudes on the court you should be using all of them. Remember rebounding and positioning happens before the shot. Reading passing lanes and sending help defense are all off ball anticipation tactics that are used just like in real life!!!actually 2k has taken a lot of intercepting the pass out because of people complaining. I used to be great at that. Does anyone ever notice they don't even allow you to full court press and trap any more. I used to blow people out by 30 with the traps and presses!! You can just walk right by it now. That's 2k making sure that the games are close so no one gets blown out. Keeps everyone happy and PLAYING THE GAME. That's right my friends its A GAAAAMMMMEEEEE!! Want to really play on ball Defense go to the park and really play some on ball Defense on a human being you lazzzy f ugi buggy nerdy greasy pug boy!!
Ohh yeah back to the subject, its because of online lag. I mean if on ball defense was that effective like it should be then this wouldn't even be a thread everyone would use it. If I'm playing on ball defense and it feels like the offense player has jets on his feet and me the defender feels like I'm stuck in quicksand or wet cement. Then no ill pass on on ball. ZIG ZAG ZIG ZAG ZIG ZAG ZIG ZAG ZIG ZAG ZIG ZAG ZIG ZAG ZIG ZAG
Yeah like I said I'll PASS!!!! Truth is they don't want you to play defense think about it they took out last years defense the 1-3-1 because they said it was 2 cheesy. They took out effective traps and presses, on ball defense is like making love to ant. (Its just not going to work) They want both people racking up the points and games being close to the end. Defense is bad for business. People getting blown out and throwing the game in the trash is bad for business. Slam dunks and alley oops and 7'2 pgs and the park is good for business. Its all about the money follow the money my friends and you figure out a lot about life. One thing I never did was fooolloowww the grammar po-lice
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
At the cost of sounding horrible, Why is offball Defense Rewarded?

Why not just have a 1 v 1 mode for all the guys who want on ball to matter the most. It could be put in classes that restrict height and weight so you are in your one specific class. Then it is truly Mano y Mano

People seem to crave the direct competition of this game and treat it like you are actually dribbling a basketball in real life. Give them one on one. You can't get any better competition than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »