Home

Will Pro-Am Promote Teamwork?

This is a discussion on Will Pro-Am Promote Teamwork? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U17acoY6hY

I was watching this video earlier and I was suddenly inspired to write this. If I’m not allowed to post the link, I’ll apologize now, but I think everyone should hear this as they get ready for Pro-Am.

So continuing on to my rant, I’m probably in the minority saying this, but I think that our Pro-am player should be separate from our MyCareer player, and I’ll explain why I believe this should be implemented for this mode.

Many people blame cheesers for the Park we play in today, but the one to blame is 2k. They gave the player base the ability to create a player that has never been seen before. That sounds fantastic when it’s kept within the actual MyCareer mode. But when this leaks out into an online mode, you enter a world where EVERY player can make ANY shot they put up. Everyone has maxed out ratings, which means we know we should be able to make a shot if we’re open. So now our task is to get open. That’s where the cheese developed. Everyone is doing whatever it takes to succeed, and that means going as far as to use an exploit in the system, a/k/a zigzagging and so on. Pro-am could just be a glorified JRC if everyone is maxed out and doing what they’ve been doing for the past two years on the Park.

This is why I believe we should have separate characters that can’t reach MJ status. We should have defined roles for people to return team basketball. Ball handlers, defenders, scorers, slashers, rebounders and shooters. Obviously we’ll be capable of doing all of the basics, but we can only reach god-tier in one specific area. You can be that lethal scorer with all of the moves, the jump shot, the post-game, the lightning quick first step. But don’t expect to be able to shut down the other team’s best scorer. You’ll likely have to be hidden on defense by guarding someone who isn’t going to do a lot of scoring.

Each play style can be applied to almost any position for you to create your desired player at your desired position, with the obvious restrictions though. PG can't run around with max rebounding stats, Centers can't have max ball handling ratings and so on.

Ball handlers will run the offense and create shots for everyone. Defenders will likely spend all of their time on the best scorer of the other team, doing whatever they can to keep him out of the game. Rebounders will shut down the paint and keep the opposing team off the boards. Shooters will be running off screens to get themselves open and creating space for your team to operate. You’ll still be counted on to step outside of your role, but not like how it is one the park where you’ve got point centers running coast to coast and demigod PG’s grabbing boards like prime Wilt.

To me this feels more team oriented. Everyone knows what they should be doing. Fewer possessions spent watching one guy dribble out the shot clock only looking for his own shot. I understand that a lot of people are stat chasers, and if you become elite in your one area, you will find ways to fill up the stat sheet. Imagine looking up at the leader boards and you’re the leading scorer and it’s because your team knows how to feed you the ball and get you in spots where you can score. Imagine leading in steals or blocks because your team knows you can handle defending the person who has the ball the most. Imagine scouting other teams a bit and making up a game plan in the party chat because you’re about to face off against one of the leading shot blockers, or an excellent passing team.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but everyone I see right now on the Park is a Lebron-Curry hybrid. I want to see more Dennis Rodman, Paul Pierce, Tony Allen, Jason Kidd, Ben Wallace. Players that were great, but really shined because of the one thing they really excelled at. And with the appropriate cast around them, they succeeded.

This is just my opinion, but I feel like the Pro-Am has the potential to something incredibly special, and I’d hate to see it become an updated JRC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

Memories. I remember having a little rivalry with KSpades Crew.

If 2K gets the gameplay correct and pro-am is like crew, you'll see a lot more teamwork. I've seen it even in 2K15 before the patch.

But just the customization, owners of a team and etc. I am 90% sure it'll be a lot more teamwork in ProAm (Crew). You'll have those teams with that guy that ball hogs but most teams will be moving the ball around.

Most of the teams I've played during Crew moved the ball around. They had to for the most part in 2K10 and 11 because you wasn't just zigzagging back and forth, step backing making these stupid 3s and accidental midrange shots.

Most likely the person ball hogging, missed a lot of shots that game doing that. So it was definitely a lot more passing. But we'll just have to see how it turns out.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

Last edited by Jrocc23; 08-09-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:55 AM   #3
MVP

MontanaMan's Arena

Re: Will Pro-Am Promote Teamwork?

There's a hole in your theory, explain LeBron.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
Banned

If its your crew. With your buddies. And somebody is ball hogging. Something is wrong.

Kick them out.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:42 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U17acoY6hY

I was watching this video earlier and I was suddenly inspired to write this. If I’m not allowed to post the link, I’ll apologize now, but I think everyone should hear this as they get ready for Pro-Am.

So continuing on to my rant, I’m probably in the minority saying this, but I think that our Pro-am player should be separate from our MyCareer player, and I’ll explain why I believe this should be implemented for this mode.

Many people blame cheesers for the Park we play in today, but the one to blame is 2k. They gave the player base the ability to create a player that has never been seen before. That sounds fantastic when it’s kept within the actual MyCareer mode. But when this leaks out into an online mode, you enter a world where EVERY player can make ANY shot they put up. Everyone has maxed out ratings, which means we know we should be able to make a shot if we’re open. So now our task is to get open. That’s where the cheese developed. Everyone is doing whatever it takes to succeed, and that means going as far as to use an exploit in the system, a/k/a zigzagging and so on. Pro-am could just be a glorified JRC if everyone is maxed out and doing what they’ve been doing for the past two years on the Park.

This is why I believe we should have separate characters that can’t reach MJ status. We should have defined roles for people to return team basketball. Ball handlers, defenders, scorers, slashers, rebounders and shooters. Obviously we’ll be capable of doing all of the basics, but we can only reach god-tier in one specific area. You can be that lethal scorer with all of the moves, the jump shot, the post-game, the lightning quick first step. But don’t expect to be able to shut down the other team’s best scorer. You’ll likely have to be hidden on defense by guarding someone who isn’t going to do a lot of scoring.

Each play style can be applied to almost any position for you to create your desired player at your desired position, with the obvious restrictions though. PG can't run around with max rebounding stats, Centers can't have max ball handling ratings and so on.

Ball handlers will run the offense and create shots for everyone. Defenders will likely spend all of their time on the best scorer of the other team, doing whatever they can to keep him out of the game. Rebounders will shut down the paint and keep the opposing team off the boards. Shooters will be running off screens to get themselves open and creating space for your team to operate. You’ll still be counted on to step outside of your role, but not like how it is one the park where you’ve got point centers running coast to coast and demigod PG’s grabbing boards like prime Wilt.

To me this feels more team oriented. Everyone knows what they should be doing. Fewer possessions spent watching one guy dribble out the shot clock only looking for his own shot. I understand that a lot of people are stat chasers, and if you become elite in your one area, you will find ways to fill up the stat sheet. Imagine looking up at the leader boards and you’re the leading scorer and it’s because your team knows how to feed you the ball and get you in spots where you can score. Imagine leading in steals or blocks because your team knows you can handle defending the person who has the ball the most. Imagine scouting other teams a bit and making up a game plan in the party chat because you’re about to face off against one of the leading shot blockers, or an excellent passing team.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but everyone I see right now on the Park is a Lebron-Curry hybrid. I want to see more Dennis Rodman, Paul Pierce, Tony Allen, Jason Kidd, Ben Wallace. Players that were great, but really shined because of the one thing they really excelled at. And with the appropriate cast around them, they succeeded.

This is just my opinion, but I feel like the Pro-Am has the potential to something incredibly special, and I’d hate to see it become an updated JRC.
What u crave is a Sim basketball experience, very well said
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy
So continuing on to my rant, I’m probably in the minority saying this, but I think that our Pro-am player should be separate from our MyCareer player.

I agree with this 100%. We shouldn't be force to develop a player in MyCareer to play ProAm. ProAm and park should have they own play progression. FIFA pro clubs have a good system. You earn everything through online play. The better you play the more you're rewarded. 2k need to go in that direction for ProAm & Park.
Unfortunately Rob Jones said in a interview that we will be using our MyCareer players for the ProAm.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

I have a feeling Pro-Am will promote teamwork but not to the point where it reflects actual NBA team building.

I am interested in seeing if there are cap limitations on ratings based off size, especially if they are not enforcing positional limitations. I am also interested if teams that go big say 2 centers have some advantages and disadvantages. The same if a team is put together based off going real small would have.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I am interested in seeing if there are cap limitations on ratings based off size, especially if they are not enforcing positional limitations. .
They are definitely not doing that... It will be "oh you 5 want to play together? do it!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I am also interested if teams that go big say 2 centers have some advantages and disadvantages. The same if a team is put together based off going real small would have.
Uhm, the advantage when playing small against playing big? Smallteams can run more, can space the floor better, while big teams can pound the ball inside and will control the paint. Why need artificial "bonuses" and "advantages" when you have advantages/disadvantages which apply to normal baskteball logic?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »