Home

Beluba reveals NEW shot meter option, should it be the default?

This is a discussion on Beluba reveals NEW shot meter option, should it be the default? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How would you like 2k16's shot meter to be handled by default?
2k15's default shot meter 10 17.24%
2k16's new option 39 67.24%
2k16's new option on Superstar and above 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2015, 05:05 AM   #9
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Beluba reveals NEW shot meter option, should it be the default?

I'd would indeed like this to be the default. It allows people to focus on the shot form rather than the meter that way they can actually learn the form, plus if they aren't the quickest learners they can also look at the shot meter for feedback after the shot to see how close they are.

I can't see this being a negative feature at all, it's an option of whether you want to use it or not so if you want a shot meter all the time or never simply switch it on or off.

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2
Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

The new option should be default on SS and HOF, but not the lower difficulty levels.

I think that's important because the wider 2k audience needs to learn that the lower levels are appropriate to play when you are a less experienced, less sim player. Plus they will need the extra help.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

meh...does it really matter? it can be turned on or off, so who cares what the default is? I prefer seeing the shot meter while i'm shooting as I can learn the timing quicker.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

The new Feedback only feature should DEFINITELY be set as the default. Here's why:

It allows you to focus more on the actual game instead of an icon - If this is not set at default, 2k will be influencing gamers to take their attention away from the game itself. Paying attention to the different releases is part of the experience. What's the sense of players having different releases when we are only paying attention to the meter anyway? Instead of focusing on getting GOOD QUALITY shots, we are now focusing on getting a GREEN RELEASE. This doesn't promote good basketball.

Beluba made a point and said that some people don't have the time to learn all players releases. Yes that's true, so leave the drawing shot meter as an option they can CHANGE to. Don't have it set as the default because most players will use that as a crutch from the jump.

IMO having the feedback only meter as default will encourage a SMARTER 2k community. Guys will be more educated and skilled by actually learning player shots and this makes for better games in the community overall
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon

Last edited by EarvGotti; 08-14-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
The new Feedback only feature should DEFINITELY be set as the default. Here's why:

It allows you to focus more on the actual game instead of an icon - If this is not set at default, 2k will be influencing gamers to take their attention away from the game itself. Paying attention to the different releases is part of the experience. What's the sense of players having different releases when we are only paying attention to the meter anyway? Instead of focusing on getting GOOD QUALITY shots, we are now focusing on getting a GREEN RELEASE. This doesn't promote good basketball.

Beluba made a point and said that some people don't have the time to learn all players releases. Yes that's true, so leave the drawing shot meter as an option they can CHANGE to. Don't have it set as the default because most players will use that as a crutch from the jump.

IMO having the feedback only meter as default will encourage a SMARTER 2k community. Guys will be more educated and skilled by actually learning player shots and this makes for better games in the community overall
While I agree that the game should promote a focus on basketball, I'm not sure I agree learning player release points in their animations is really "learning basketball". I actually find priding oneself on this particular aspect as "skill" almost as silly as taking pride in timing a meter to get a green circle. There's no analogue in real basketball to watching another player and learning when to let go-- that has much more in common with watching a meter than real ball.

If the meter works correctly as Mike described, where greens may not even be possible while taking bad shots, the meter COULD actually encourage a focus on finding good basketball shots rather than being distracted learning animation releases. However, the implementation in 2K15 already has ingrained bad habits and a wrong mindset in 2K players who think greens = automatic make, and thus the main thing to try to achieve for its own sake (as can be evidenced by the YouTube outrage).

Correctly implemented, color graded releases should only tell you two things-- whether it was a good shot in a real basketball context, and whether you executed it properly as a player. From there, you hope it goes in. Just keep taking good shots. That's all you can ask for-- and that's actual basketball.

I just realize that I may be a lone minority that thinks greens should maybe be much MORE plentiful-- but much less accurate. I might like a system where greens go on about as much as a good shot in rythmn does in real life, to the tune of 55-60 percent, so the color code is a teaching and grading tool-- not an elusive, gimmicky bonus thing.

Last edited by Sundown; 08-14-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
While I agree that the game should promote a focus on basketball, I'm not sure I agree learning player release points in their animations is really "learning basketball". I actually find priding oneself on this particular aspect as "skill" almost as silly as taking pride in timing a meter to get a green circle. There's no analogue in real basketball to watching another player and learning when to let go-- that has much more in common with watching a meter than real ball.

If the meter works correctly as Mike described, where greens may not even be possible while taking bad shots, the meter COULD actually encourage a focus on finding good basketball shots rather than being distracted learning animation releases. However, the implementation in 2K15 already has ingrained bad habits and a wrong mindset in 2K players who think greens = automatic make, and thus the main thing to try to achieve for its own sake (as can be evidenced by the YouTube outrage).

Correctly implemented, color graded releases should only tell you two things-- whether it was a good shot in a real basketball context, and whether you executed it properly as a player. From there, you hope it goes in. Just keep taking good shots. That's all you can ask for-- and that's actual basketball.

I just realize that I may be a lone minority that thinks greens should maybe be much MORE plentiful-- but much less accurate. I might like a system where greens go on about as much as a good shot in rythmn does in real life, to the tune of 55-60 percent, so the color code is a teaching and grading tool-- not an elusive, gimmicky bonus thing.

Good post but I still disagree. I don't think the shot meter option will do the community more good than the feedback only option.

Alot of guys that played 2K last year got spoiled by the meter. If they timed the meter close to the middle point and their shot missed, it was rage city. Guys will raaaaaaage if they are missing shots but seeing the meter close to or on the middle bar. This should not be the focus of shooting!!!!!!!

I agree that the meter will not be the only gauge of a good shot but the problem is its the most visible gauge and ppl will see it as the end all be all. I'm warning you guys. People will rage hard when they're missing open shots while hitting the meter at the right time.

It also takes more skill to memorize and learn the motion of a shot release than to learn a meter timing. In past 2k's you actually had to hit practice mode to learn some players shots before playing the game. It felt like you were really putting in work. Now that whole experience is gone. If I were 2k I would want ppl putting MORE time into the game not less.

The meter eliminates the need to put time into the game. That's not good
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon

Last edited by EarvGotti; 08-14-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
No need for 2 threads on the same subject right?

Only say this and is locked because Mike is already responding in the other
holy sh*t how old are you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Probably older than 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
Alot of guys that played 2K last year got spoiled by the meter. If they timed the meter close to the middle point and their shot missed, it was rage city. Guys will raaaaaaage if they are missing shots but seeing the meter close to or on the middle bar. This should not be the focus of shooting!!!!!!!
What pisses me off though was that even when playing PARK and it's glorious pro difficulty (!) online, with maxed shooting, if I hit it on line I'm just throwing up bricks. You have to get perfect release to play online. I can hardly get green offline, so online it was hell for me.

Last edited by DarkEdgeX5; 08-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »