Home

Passing is AWFUL in 2k at the moment!

This is a discussion on Passing is AWFUL in 2k at the moment! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Passing is AWFUL in 2k at the moment!

Ever heard the old saying the ball is faster than the man? Not in 2k! Players constantly get away wth double teams because the pass taks forever to arrive at the open man (if it doesn't go in the stands). It is especially frustating to see a man WIDE OPEN under the rim only to throw a pass that makes the ball look like deflating helium balloon in route. This leads frustratng turnovers that should be easy baskets. Couple this with the man who is left open by the double sprinting toward the nearest defender and it's probably the worst element of the game to me. Aside from the frustration, it leads to even more cheese because 2k discourages passing. If I drive and kick it's nearly impossibe to string together multiple swing passes to find the open man. Thus the most effective offensive strategies involve isolation play either on the perimeter or in the post. It's sad when flashy passes are actually more effective than regular passes because they are more likely to put some zip on the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Passing is AWFUL in 2k at the moment!

I understand your frustrations. The passing could use some work all around. Especially on the double teams. But that's just 2K making you throw it out of bounds. One of the biggest things I hate is the bounce passes at the worst time to do one. But I couldn't say it's awful. I actually enjoy the passing on this games at times.

Love the flashy passes. Upset it's being changed to Double tap B.

But I've seen a lot of 2K games where it was imo worse.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 08-16-2015, 02:57 AM   #3
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0

My problem with the passing isn't so much due to the double team cheese or the slow passing in general, but it's the logic in the analog passing.

Yes yes, I realize Icon passing is always there as an option, but in basketball, you don't always have time to processes the pass in your mind (icon passing), rather than you going off instinct (analog). It's like, why is the passer passing to a guy on the other side of the court rather than the open guy cutting to the basket? Or maybe I do wanna pass it to the other side of the court for an open three, but the passer passes it to the cutting man for a turnover!

If 2k can get this fixed in the future, that'd be nice. It's my fault to a degree, but at the same time, how many of us can hit the open man by icon passing and automatically knowing what button the receiver is without taking half a second to figure it out?
Old 08-16-2015, 03:31 AM   #4
All-Pro

ATLBrayden's Arena

OVR: 18

At this point in 2K, passing needs an overhaul. Passes arrive too slow, double teams kill them, and there aren't very many passing animations.

It's hard to get the ball to a big man and for a big man to pass the ball. We also need more elite, Magic Johnson-esque passing animations for the man himself and in the game for other elite passers.

If my guy has high passing IQ, vision, ability, etc., he shouldn't throw a pass into the back of a defender or into their legs, head, etc. often. He also shouldn't then go blind and not be able to pick the ball back up.

Obviously there's only so much 2K can do in each development cycle but we can only hope that they re-tool these things in a near one.

My NBA 2K19 Lakers Dynasty -https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-nba-2k19.html

PSN: GetYourSwooshOn
XBL: Gunslinger7O2
Old 08-16-2015, 03:47 AM   #5
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

Passing is my biggest gripe. I thought 2K14 past gen improved a little but ever since 2K12 passing has been awfully sluggish. Bounce passing is more effective but it shouldn't be necessary all the time. Then like already mentioned, there's times when you pass to the right and it will go left somehow. Plus with the live ball you can have a wide open man 10 feet away and throw it off the defender a foot away from you. I have too many smh moments. Maybe the new button scheme will help a bit and we'll see some new improvements over the next month. They have the right people in place to make this game better so I think we will see upgrades all around.

XBLGT: tjor24
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

I can't even count how many times my players have thrown the ball right into the defenses hands. Passing in the paint is almost an automatic turnover or missed layup because players can't catch the ball under the basket. When I try to pass it to the open roll man or cutter a defender while come out of nowhere and just tap the ball. This will then turn into a mini volleyball game when he tries to pass and my defender taps the ball.

Another thing that needs to be worked on is the random bounce passes. Why even have the pass modifier if the game is going to have a mind of it's own? They do this a lot when double teamed. I feel like I scream "Why the **** would he bounce pass it?!" almost every time I play this game.

There also needs to be more alley-oop animations and smarter alley oop passing. Who are you going to lob it to if you're on the break with Lowry and DeRozan? Terrence Ross says Lowry.
http://xboxclips.com/Lo6IX/bf5dbd59-...3-92973e7802d0

Here is Curry lobbing it to Thompson instead of LeBron who has a better angle.

http://xboxclips.com/Lo6IX/0e667c1a-...2-211c41ce8eae

Here is a lob to Wilt going out of bounds. This happens to me very often

http://xboxclips.com/Lo6IX/c3e6d2af-...0-b3f9702430ad
Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Banned

I've just started a new career with the raptors as it passes time till 16, and I've got a load of VC stored up that I won't use. Lowry got the ball off the inbound and I called for the ball just inside my own half. His pass went into about the 4th row without bouncing. Seriously? Some of the stuff that happens is just insane really. The passes to the open man on the wings that turns into a pass into traffic into the paint.

The alley oop, that instead of putting it high for the player to run on to out of reach of the defenders, passes it barely above the defenders head for the tomahawk oop. so the oop gets swatted away and 99% of times it goes straight to another defender who will be running away from the basket but will catch it behind his back without looking.

Flashy passes are the only way I ever try to pass out of a double team, as they don't have the ridiculous animations that cause a player to be unable to throw the ball anywhere but row z. I hate the passing so much. It just causes so many turnovers.

I hate the pass where you can be standing near one corner and you have a player running alone to the basket so you pass to him for the easy bucket. Only you don't, you pass it way over his head to the guy in the opposite corner with a defender stood directly between you.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Banned

madmax52277's Arena

First I thought it was the passing mechanics..but to me they have vacuum or magnet hands on offense, defense, rebounds and lose balls. for some reason the ball always go right in their hands lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »