Home

I hope charge "cheese" gets removed

This is a discussion on I hope charge "cheese" gets removed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #49
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I hope charge "cheese" gets removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
You should post a video of that because I'd bet that's a bug 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Oh it does work! I've been sucked into charges walking the ball up the court.
Yea I spent this week playing online in quick match and the charge cheese has never worked on me (and guys have tried).

I play slow tempo game rarely hitting turbo even on drives.

Flopping is a real life NBA thing so it should be in the game fyi. Vlade Divac and Dennis Rodman made careers off of flopping.

Here's an example where none of those guys were hitting the proverbial turbo stick and got charge calls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGq9fO--8s
Old 08-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #50
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Yea I spent this week playing online in quick match and the charge cheese has never worked on me (and guys have tried).

I play slow tempo game rarely hitting turbo even on drives.

Flopping is a real life NBA thing so it should be in the game fyi. Vlade Divac and Dennis Rodman made careers off of flopping.

Here's an example where none of those guys were hitting the proverbial turbo stick and got charge calls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGq9fO--8s
Okay what's your point? Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it cant. I'm sure the tempo you play isn't any slower than what I play. I didn't say that it works 100 % of time.

If I had the video was would gladly post it, but some guys are pretty good at being able to draw the charges. It seems to work more when they sprint up to you then press the button.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #51
Rookie

Dyslexicphish's Arena

It should get tweaked because honestly when was the last time you saw a charge called at or near half court. If someone in the NBA tried to pull that, it would be a blocking foul. So if people try to draw a charge around there in 2k, it should automatically be called a block. People should still be able to draw a charge because it's still an asset in real life.

Honestly, it's one of the more frustrating and inconsistent parts of basketball and it's no different in 2k.

It really shouldn't be a counter to people who use turbo the entire game. This should be a fatigue issue. If a player in real life is sprinting at full speed nonstop, he's going to be dead tired quickely.

Discouraging people from playing a fast-paced game with the charge cheese, however, is not the answer. The GSW had the highest pace last year and they won the title.

The reason I really want it tweaked, though, is that people that charge cheese only look to charge cheese. They have no interest in playing defense. You are then forced to change how you play. It really ruins the game experience for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #52
Rookie

drewwright's Arena

I don't understand why people like to use any cheese, does nobody enjoy playing the game realistically?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #53
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwright
I don't understand why people like to use any cheese, does nobody enjoy playing the game realistically?
I don't chime in too muchh any more, but I can answer this question handily.

In any type of competition or competitive setting, people will play to win. This means using anything available to them usually. If a thing isn't enforced, it's fair game.

Some people would say that using a character in a fighting game with a move that takes priority is cheap. If all I'm doing is throwing a weak punch, but that weak punch beats all of your big moves, why wouldn't I use it? It's not pretty, and it's also frustrating. That's usually enough to be labeled a cheesy player among friends. However in a competitive setting, it's what you should be doing. It's part of the "Meta" game, or the game within the game you're playing. The competition devolves from fireballs and super moves, into what moves beat this weak punch, and what strategies get around it.

This is why cheese exists in 2k. It's not about basketball, or realism. It's about winning to these kids. This means that regardless of how good at basketball you are, the current game is simply: "These unrealistic tactics have the best chance of giving me a win, therefore to win I use these tactics.". There's no system that currently punishes this, so people will use it to win. The current 2k15 "Meta game" is use a 7'2 PG, Quick Release Jumpshot, left right dribble moves, and set picks under the rim for the highest chance of winning.

This is unfortunate, because the nature of a competitive human being will be to use this to win because there is no penalty for it. I certainly don't play that way, but I understand the mindset.

So, with that said, the new question is: Can 2k completely eliminate "Cheese"? The answer is, sadly, no. Because of the thought process used to justify cheesy play, it means if you ban one thing the player will move to the next item on the list.

For example: People have been saying Call of Duty, and FPS in general, should do something about campers. For those unfamiliar, a camper in those games sits in a usually unnoticeable corner and shoots people when they run past. The usual argument is to put a minute timer on people that sit. The problem is: if the best tactic to win was to sit in a corner waiting for a person, and now I can only do that for a minute, the new best tactic is to sit in a corner for 59 seconds, then move and repeat.

In summary, that's the typical thought process of cheesy players. As you can see, you cannot get rid of the cheeseballs, only really affect the types of tactics they can use. They will always find a loophole, so the key is usually to fix huge issues, and allow small ones to exist providing they can be managed/dealt eith.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 08-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #54
Banned

i think the charge cheese is fine, if they disable it outside of the 3 point line, and only allow it to work inside the 3 point line, and they have to call blocking fouls on the cheesers who hold their bleeps in the restricted area
Old 08-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #55
Rookie

True bro that would be nice
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #56
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
This video has charges off the post up lol (and a few legit ones )
http://youtu.be/5JHzp8gmxEw

I hate how my friends do this in couch coop that's how popular it's gotten
All the non post fouls looked like charging to me. The Duncan flop was funny though.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »