Home

2K16 Marketing Affect On You

This is a discussion on 2K16 Marketing Affect On You within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2K16 Marketing Affect On You

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Huh? There was a huge blog about all of the changes they made to My League and My GM. The announcement of 2k Pro Am and several classic teams announced. How is that "little features"?
Yea I'm going to compare it to Madden. There were a ton of changes to the game made this year like new scouting system, penalties, Draft Champions, scouting combine results, etc . Do you like them? Maybe or maybe not. But the changes were made. Back to 2K, also if a brand new online mode (Pro-Am), relocation/rebranding/etc are small features then I would love to know: what is a new big feature?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
Rookie

Well when you think about it most people are gonna get the game anyway just because 2k has been the only playable game on the market for awhile now.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Rookie

Halloween's Arena

I remember they released cpu vs cpu gameplay vids a couple years back prior to release.
Only thing that bugs me about 2ks marketing is that they don't do this anymore.

I'm into gameplay and authenticity, so Curry chewing his mouthguard is fine as some early news footage but we're 3 weeks away from release and I don't know anything about what really interests me.

I'll buy the game regardless (only skipped 2k12 since 06) but the waiting game on gameplay actually IS annoying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Pro

Bottom line it's marketing for casuals not hardcore fans. On top of that like someone said, it's been the only playable NBA for about 3/4 years now so they have the luxury of knowing ppl have to purchase if they like hoops.

Not to mention the VC costing physical money allows them to not even worry so much about sales because they probably recoup triple the profits from that alone. I know some guy who has spent over $600 on vc playing my team. That was just in 2k14. If everyone or even a third of purchasers get half of that, that's like 2 years worth of 2ks in profit lol.

Saying that, I think the way they market this game is horrible. If I wasn't an avid gamer I wouldn't know anything about it. If I haven't played since the 1st 2k, I wouldn't know anything about it. The only reason I know about the game is because I'm technically savvy & I actually go looking for information. I'm not looking because 2ks marketing is making me clamor for information. I'm looking because that's personally what I do with everything I have interest in.

The marketing for 2k is pretty bad and has gotten worse this year. Some guy here wS saying the marketing is working because we're all on the edge of our seats but it's actually the exact opposite. Everyone here is more than just a casual player. We're on a forum for sports gaming. So we like sports. Good marketing is when a company can keep it's costumers excited about the release. Most ppl here are not excited, we just know it's coming out soon because we play.

An example of good marketing are big budget movies. They release trailers all summer for movies coming in the winter. Sometimes even summer next year. Just to build hype. They don't wait til the movie is 2 weeks away and send out massive previews. Examples of this include Suicide Squad. There were previews at comic con etc. I don't even know when it's coming out. I don't even really want to see it but they built hype for it already. An example of bad marketing is Mad Max. Heck even Metal Gear Solid. Both come out the same day and I didn't know mad max was being released the same day.

But all in all this is the age we live in. Aside from games like COD & Destiny there's no big marketing techniques being used anymore. But I remember getting a game informer magazine with a Destiny cover story about 2 years before it came out. 2K used to do big cover stories but at this point there honestly isn't much to show. The gameplay engine is the same with the cartoonish looking graphics so what is there to really show? There are no big advances in the game to market which is the real bottom line here.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
Pro

Clappington's Arena

I dislike how they wait till last min to tell everything but thats whatever... what I hate the most is the fact when they drop information on certain things they never go into details when we have like multiple questions...they drop Pro-am trailer answer very few questions and they always say "we will get into that later" same thing with MyTeam drop some info but say they cant go into full details yet.. then when they try to cram everything into last couple weeks before release they always say they didnt have enough time to talk about something its so stupid honestly and idk if im allowed to say it but it needs to be said.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

It's about time you guys stop trying to seperate the fans with this nonsense categorical stuff.

Everyone pays the same amount of money for NBA 2K no matter what you prefer to play the most, this stuff is silly.

People just want to see the devs work, that's all. It's not Ronnie name dropping or LD2Ks endless gifs that make you want the game, it's their track record of making one of the best sports games on the market, bugs and all.

I certainly am not a fan of the slow drip marketing but I believe they said on the stream, some more info will be out this week and not just screenshots, so this is bad timing.

They also said 2K would be hands on at the Vegas event this week.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Rookie

lvnba's Arena

August is a hell no matter what they do. No 2k, no NBA, no nothing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote: