Home

NBA 2K series just as big as Grand Theft Auto series.

This is a discussion on NBA 2K series just as big as Grand Theft Auto series. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #57
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NBA 2K series just as big as Grand Theft Auto series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
Grand Theft Auto literally sells itself.

2K has had to work tooth and nail to get where they are, and needs the same attitude in order to maintain it.

No comparison whatsoever.
A game that is in development for 5 years and cost 265 million to develop and has a ridiculous amount of resources thrown at it is not working tooth and nail to get where they are today? I think to the contrary that they are different.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #58
Pro

OVR: 5

Let's say NBA 2k sold for 5 million. If the same people are buying NBA 2k every year doesn't that mean if 2k sold the game every 5 years the same 5 million people would buy it? It definitely would not jump to 40 mill like gta.

Now as far as reaching that financial goal over a 5 year period I totally understand.

Last edited by haloofduty; 09-06-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
A game that is in development for 5 years and cost 265 million to develop and has a ridiculous amount of resources thrown at it is not working tooth and nail to get where they are today? I think to the contrary that they are different.
I don't think you know what the term "tooth and nail" means.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 09-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #60
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
Because I'm the one talking like a tumblr fan girl.

Nice try though.

Sorry, if the discussion is over your head, there's no need to for you to post or criticize it's merits. And it nice to know you use tumblr...

This isn't a love fest topic. Some folks are acting as if it's a personal affront to compare the success of the game to GTA. But that's all it is. It's putting the games success in perspective. It grew a 2 million audience to 7 million by itself. It's an annual title of sport not as popular as soccer or football. And as Rashidi said, they had to earn that fan base. Nothing wrong with at least acknowledging it.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 09-06-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #61
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloofduty
Let's say NBA 2k sold for 5 million. If the same people are buying NBA 2k every year doesn't that mean if 2k sold the game every 5 years the same 5 million people would buy it? It definitely would not jump to 40 mill like gta.

Of course it wouldn't. And that has repeatedly been said. Again, that is not the point of the discussion. Total audience and penetration is not the point. Overall financial impact to the bottom line over the 5 year period is the point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #62
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Boilerbuzz if I ever need a lawyer I'm contacting you. Thanks for understanding what I'm trying to convey and relaying that. Much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #63
MVP

MarvinOida's Arena

OVR: 20

Maybe financially, but even then I don't think it's close. Generating $1bil in days of release is something I don't see a sports game even achieving, even with GTA using $250mil+ to create/market the game, it generates more money, we haven't even covered the rerelease, Shark Card sales, or the yet to release Story DLC, only the first couple days equated to $1bil. (GTA V by May 2015 have reached 52mil, so that 35mil in 5 years argument is gone.)

GTA has the mass appeal factor to it. NBA 2K has a niche audience.

Title should've been, "NBA 2K could be just as big as GTA." Current title is something you see straight outta Buzzfeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by MarvinOida; 09-06-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: GTA reached 1bil in three days, $1.98bil by May 2014 (Wikipedia)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #64
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
Boilerbuzz if I ever need a lawyer I'm contacting you. Thanks for understanding what I'm trying to convey and relaying that. Much appreciated.
Crazy that it needs to be conveyed as much and how many don't understand. You didn't say anything about who the consumers are buying it, you didn't say it was always as beneficial as GTA and unless I missed it you didn't say it is much more beneficial than GTA just that it's becoming as beneficial to take two.

It's like people read the thread title and not the subject matter of whats being discussed inside of the thread....or we're getting Punk'd Lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »