Home

Player responsiveness. Stuck in Animations. Anyone heard if it's been addressed?

This is a discussion on Player responsiveness. Stuck in Animations. Anyone heard if it's been addressed? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Player responsiveness. Stuck in Animations. Anyone heard if it's been addressed?

Player responsiveness. Stuck in Animations. Anyone heard if it's been addressed? Has any article, hands on impression, developers' posts here on OS, and/or youtube videos mentioned any word with regards to "players being stuck in animations" for 2k16?

Note: Been playing 2k14 and the other game's demo, and the first thing I've noticed is players' responsiveness. NBA2k has always been a visual feast but being stuck in animations can get thoroughly frustrating. Especially when you're caught stuck to an offensive player, and wanting to break free to either go grab a rebound or give help defense to someone driving the paint. In the other game, the players are simply 'free.'
I have never felt stuck to an animation. I am hoping NBA2k16 has completely addressed this.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
MVP

lakers24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Player responsiveness. Stuck in Animations. Anyone heard if it's been addressed?

wl the number one reason you felt "free" was because of a lack of animations tbh. And as far as we know, pretty much every guy that was at team up and even the dudes that played at the Gamestop Expo. A guy I trust when he says something feels better is FranchisePlay and he said he felt it immediately. Like each movement he made was accounted for where as in 2k15 you were kind of carried to spots etc. because a animation had to play out.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
MVP

Re: Player responsiveness. Stuck in Animations. Anyone heard if it's been addressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
wl the number one reason you felt "free" was because of a lack of animations tbh. And as far as we know, pretty much every guy that was at team up and even the dudes that played at the Gamestop Expo. A guy I trust when he says something feels better is FranchisePlay and he said he felt it immediately. Like each movement he made was accounted for where as in 2k15 you were kind of carried to spots etc. because a animation had to play out.
Could be but could not be, but I don't think the lack of animations in the other game is allowing the gamer to be "free" because it didn't matter what you were doing on the court, you were "free". I think it has more to do with how 2k translate their motion capture sessions into gameplay. In the past, 2k dealt largely with 2 man animations while the other game simply dealt with 1 man animations. Not sure how 2k16 handles it.

If the 2k cpu does a crossover, playing man defense (if I don't touch the controller) I might suddenly get pulled to one side when I never intended because the sequence was original motion captured as a two man animation. In the other game's demo, if the cpu does a crossover, playing man defense (if I don't touch the controller) I simply stay put. I don't think this has much to do with "more animations," I just think 2k has the cpu and user somewhat somehow "tied" together.

Having played the other games demo for actually quite a while (never really ever enjoyed the other game until this demo), I can say it does have a good solid amount of animation when defending at the perimeter and just subtle movements, like walking and transition crouching animations, fluid momentum passing, in general. Just the ability to feather the analog stick and see subtle movements were eye opening.

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-20-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Man you know we don't know anymore than you do...lol..The game comes out in 6 days, we'll honestly just have to see find hand.

I can tell you right now, you likely won't experience what your experiencing in Live with 2k...they're two different games....

Probably should've just posted this in the Other forum if you wanted to stack them up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Man you know we don't know anymore than you do..
Needs to be copied and pasted into each thread
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Man you know we don't know anymore than you do...lol..The game comes out in 6 days, we'll honestly just have to see find hand.

I can tell you right now, you likely won't experience what your experiencing in Live with 2k...they're two different games....

Probably should've just posted this in the Other forum if you wanted to stack them up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wasn't trying to stack them up. Not what my intention was (I could have also just used PES as an example because the controls are very responsive in PES as well). I always felt PES had a 2k feel to it. Play PES, put your controller down when defending man on man, and you don't get automatically pushed around as seen in past 2k basketball.

Just wanted to know if anyone heard anything about 2k specifically revamping, overhauling, or whatever to their animation system. Maybe one of those youtube early hands on impression may have said something or an article online or maybe a developer actually posted in one of those large blog threads is what I was hoping someone could direct me to.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Wasn't trying to stack them up. Not what my intention was (I could have also just used PES as an example because the controls are very responsive in PES as well). I always felt PES had a 2k feel to it. Play PES, put your controller down when defending man on man, and you don't get automatically pushed around as seen in past 2k basketball.

Just wanted to know if anyone heard anything about 2k specifically revamping, overhauling, or whatever to their animation system. Maybe one of those youtube early hands on impression may have said something or an article online or maybe a developer actually posted in one of those large blog threads is what I was hoping someone could direct me to.

It's been said that 2K feels more physically correct because of foot planting, but that may actually mean "stuckness" at the right times. Any physically correct simulation is going to have some loss of "freedom" or control. You can alleviate this either by a lack of correct interactions (look at how the other game lets you skip through defenders to score 120+ points) or you can add even more context sensitive animations so you can see that your intent was registered by the game but you are physically unable to move where you want to.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

I'm with you man. We all want to be in control of our players, but the game scripting you one way or another, but there hasn't been any news I'm aware of, so I wouldn't count on too much change. I wish, but they make enough $$ of their current system, I don't see them changing it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »