Home

Historic teams and your usage of them

This is a discussion on Historic teams and your usage of them within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Historic teams and your usage of them

I know many likely already know where I stand with classic teams but I'll answer regardless.

I'm a fan of current and classic teams alike. When 2K had modes dedicated to classics, I played those modes to the fullest, and repeatedly (still go back and do so at times).

Without any dedicated classic modes, I still go through and edit each classic team to make it fully authentic in terms of players and accessories. That's strangely enjoyable in its own right. Oftentimes I'll also take some players from those classic teams and create new classic teams (ex: I used to make the 2000 Raptors on my own because about eight of their players were already on the game).

From there, having so many classics often meant there was an endless amount of Quick Game possibilities. Those were fulfilling to me, especially if my statistics were tracked and viewable in my profile. I don't know if 2K still has this, but I really liked when I could go into my Profile stats and it'd show something like:

VDusen04
Points: 54 - Mitch Richmond, Golden State (5/2/12 vs. Boston)
Rebounds: 15 - Bill Laimbeer, Detroit (1/11/12 vs. Chicago)
Assists: 18 - Muggsy Bogues, Toronto (2/20/14 vs. New York)

I also really enjoyed creating highlights from those games and uploading them, often in mix format. I miss the 2K video edit mode they used to have for a good portion of last gen. I've forgotten its name now, but it allowed gamers to cut, splice, add transitions, use every official camera angle, and ultimately upload. That was awesome.

I miss doing this:

Old 09-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't use them at all.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Pro

Personally, i mostly use them in myteam. Looking forward to trying out young vince, raef lafrentz, jason williams, ben wallace, michael finley, nick van exel, 12-13 birdman and so many more. I'm a little bummed that darvin ham's not on the 03-04 pistons roster though.

A mycareer using all time teams was always enjoyable as well but i don't think it's possible to use custom rosters anymore. Probably because children were using those lame rosters full of 5'3 25ovr players to get more vc back in the day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

I played the Jordan Challenges and the Legends Mode on 2k11-12 a ton. Those were so well done.

The custom rosters from 2k11-12 were probably the single best experiences I've had with any sports game. I must have run seasons using Portlandblazers set for a solid 2 years.

If the players were accurate and the ability to customize and share rosters was there I would play with the retro rosters almost exclusively.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

I put a bunch of classic superstars into a myleague last year.

This year I wwuld have done the same, but was hoping for Jason Kidd. I dont get him so its up in the air if I'll do it this year.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

I used them when they were available to play with in online game modes. I didn't like the fact that you only could play other classic teams.

Personally, I'm still in the minority that would like to be able to use them in online quick matches against current NBA teams. Before anyone says it, no...I prefer to play randoms than always having to look for someone from my friends list. I also don't do leagues. The only mode I play is online quick matches and MyPark modes after I get MyPlayer to a certain ranking.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
Banned

Wow with all the whining you would think people would use them a lot. I actually play a lot of classic teams, make custom play-offs of 90s only teams etc. I try to replay some epic series like: 94 Nuggets vs. 96 Sonics, 94 Rockets vs. 95 Knicks and now we can even do more. Reliving and changing history kind of in a game is just awesome. That's why I wish they'd give these teams their proper due by having everything accurate.

I totally understand Rasheed saying he doesn't want to be in, if 2k cannot guarantee the player will look and player like his real life counterpart. I loved the job they did with the olympic team, because Barkley really looked and played like him. 2k12 had a lot of guys looks down, but others not at all (their last year before retirement look) and signature moves were missing. For instance, Abdul-Rauf looked great, but he had nothing resembling his signature quick release, head fake or crossover. Then it's just the name, but playing like any generic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 11

I'm going to take all of the classic players, drop them into free agency and start a MyLeague with a fantasy draft. It's a nice change of pace from the usual MyLeague mode as every team will have several good, if not great, players on their team.

Usually I make this as a secondary MyLeague that I only play when I want to play something a little different, but with all of the great classic players 2K has added, it will probably end up being my main MyLeague this year.

I'll probably take LeBron and see what I can get from there, but my idea is to surround him with Kyrie, Battier and Big Z, three of my favorite players ever, in addition to a bunch of shooters from both classic and current teams.

The addition of historic teams really gave 2K the change it needed to keep it fresh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »