Home

On ball screen (center), Hedge (center)

This is a discussion on On ball screen (center), Hedge (center) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
On ball screen (center), Hedge (center)

I still don't quite get this, why are the centers having a separate option in on ball screen and hedge settings? Please someone explains it for me, so let's say I play against the GSW, what do I set for these two settings against players like 1. curry, 2. barnes, 3. bogut for example? Thanks!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: On ball screen (center), Hedge (center)

It means how you defend when that player sets a ball screen. I would switch 1-4 and double for Bogut, and Ezili. Most users would Go over/No hedge for every screen though.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
It means how you defend when that player sets a ball screen. I would switch 1-4 and double for Bogut, and Ezili. Most users would Go over/No hedge for every screen though.
Ok, I am very sorry for being dumb, but why do we need an extra setting for these two items? Ok, so I am doing settings for Curry and Barnes:

For Curry

On ball screen (Go over)
Barnes (Go under)

Simply because I don't want Curry to shoot ever, so whoever sets him a screen, I am going to try to fight over, and for the hedge, I will have hard hedge or even double just that if my PG playing on-ball defense cannot get through the screen, I will still have tons of help from my big man,

For Barnes, he is an OKAY shooter, so go under I think I feel safe, and hedge, I think going soft is OKAY for him, I don't think he is very aggressive at scoring and he probably won't drive in a lot, so I am okay with being a little conservative playing defense on him...

Now for the On ball screen (center) and hedge (center)

How do I set it, for on ball screen (center), if this is saying okay, IF the situation becomes a center guarding Curry and Barnes, what do I do? So does that mean if I use the raptors, I am setting this for JV and Bismack?

and for hedge

so the hedge guys have to be JV and Bismack, what will I do? But I mean I have done all settings already why need a seperated option for the centers?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Ok, I am very sorry for being dumb, but why do we need an extra setting for these two items? Ok, so I am doing settings for Curry and Barnes:

For Curry

On ball screen (Go over)
Barnes (Go under)

Simply because I don't want Curry to shoot ever, so whoever sets him a screen, I am going to try to fight over, and for the hedge, I will have hard hedge or even double just that if my PG playing on-ball defense cannot get through the screen, I will still have tons of help from my big man,

For Barnes, he is an OKAY shooter, so go under I think I feel safe, and hedge, I think going soft is OKAY for him, I don't think he is very aggressive at scoring and he probably won't drive in a lot, so I am okay with being a little conservative playing defense on him...

Now for the On ball screen (center) and hedge (center)

How do I set it, for on ball screen (center), if this is saying okay, IF the situation becomes a center guarding Curry and Barnes, what do I do? So does that mean if I use the raptors, I am setting this for JV and Bismack?

and for hedge

so the hedge guys have to be JV and Bismack, what will I do? But I mean I have done all settings already why need a seperated option for the centers?
The hedge man is the defender guarding the screener. It will most likely be a big man but it could be any player. I've heard that hedging isn't effective in 2K16 so I wouldn't suggest it. I would go under the screen for Barnes with no hedge.

There is no setting for when a Center is guarding a PG. The center option is for the player setting the screen. For example, if Klay sets a ball screen for Curry then what ever you have for "On Ball Screen (Center)" for Klay is how they'd guard this. Switching would be the only way to guard this imo. The option is there so that you can defend PNR differently depending on personnel. In real life you wouldn't defend a Curry/Dray PNR the same as a Curry/Ezili screen unless you're switching. Draymond can shoot and makes plays for others on the short roll, Ezili does neither, so you wouldn't want to double when Draymond is the screener but you may want to double when Ezili is the screener.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:55 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
The hedge man is the defender guarding the screener. It will most likely be a big man but it could be any player. I've heard that hedging isn't effective in 2K16 so I wouldn't suggest it. I would go under the screen for Barnes with no hedge.

There is no setting for when a Center is guarding a PG. The center option is for the player setting the screen. For example, if Klay sets a ball screen for Curry then what ever you have for "On Ball Screen (Center)" for Klay is how they'd guard this. Switching would be the only way to guard this imo. The option is there so that you can defend PNR differently depending on personnel. In real life you wouldn't defend a Curry/Dray PNR the same as a Curry/Ezili screen unless you're switching. Draymond can shoot and makes plays for others on the short roll, Ezili does neither, so you wouldn't want to double when Draymond is the screener but you may want to double when Ezili is the screener.
Wait, so the word center means center position or center as in the center on the team like the position? I am still trying to understand the difference between on ball screen vs on ball screen (center) and hedge vs hedge (center)...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Wait, so the word center means center position or center as in the center on the team like the position? I am still trying to understand the difference between on ball screen vs on ball screen (center) and hedge vs hedge (center)...
Center means the position Center as in not power forward but center. Nothing to do with a place on the court. So for example you can soft the hedge when a center is the screener and switch every other screen when it's a pg, sg, sf, or pf setting the screen.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 06-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Hedging doesnt work as intended. or I dont understand the way hedge is supposed to work this year.
Hedging might work in conjunction with forcing direction. I have to revisit this.
instead of hedging I force the direction, that works like a charm.
I tend to force direction towards the baseline-cause the base line essentially becomes another defender.
as far as screens
-good shooters - go over
-ok shooters - go under

good shooters with great ball handling/driving skills, you go over and sag off. you have to be ready to manually contest though for players like Curry. that is unless you have your controller set to auto-contest

Last edited by tril; 06-26-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderphantom
Center means the position Center as in not power forward but center. Nothing to do with a place on the court. So for example you can soft the hedge when a center is the screener and switch every other screen when it's a pg, sg, sf, or pf setting the screen.
Ok got it, but why does the center have its own options in the p and r situation???

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »