Home

Players Too big on the court

This is a discussion on Players Too big on the court within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #33
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Players Too big on the court

It looks about right to me.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

The player sizes as it relates to the court are fine...the leg/calf/ankle sizes as they relate to the player are unfortunately still terrible is several cases. If they just gave Kobe his smaller legs he would look damn near FLAWLESS in 2k16.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 1
Players Too big on the court

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
As I alluded to in my previous post, I honestly have no real concrete clue. Sometimes it looks like the players are too big; other times, they look simply ginormous, and other times it looks like the players are just right.

Having said that, playing devil's advocate, even if TV actually makes the players look small & the court look big, aren't we trying to replicate the TV broadcast experience when we play using the broadcast camera? If TV makes players appear smaller, shouldn't 2k then also conform and make the players smaller or essentially what we see on TV?

No, no, no. At least not by scaling the players in a way that puts them out of proportion with the court. It would never look quite right doing this anyway. The correct thing is to make sure the angles and FOVs and placement of cameras are right. Then make sure the body, limb, and jersey thicknesses are right. There may be things happening to give the illusion that the players are somehow bigger but you can't simply scale the players to be the wrong lengths just to make things look "better".

Scaling players inappropriately would also lead to artifacts in gameplay if sizes weren't actually all to scale.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-24-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

It isn't the size of the players that's an issue, rather it's the size of the strides that they take, and the distance that they can cover in a single stride or two, that's an issue.

Hopefully with better MoCap and footplanting tech, this issue can be resolved once and for all.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #37
Pro

lkasprzak's Arena

OVR: 10

geezz people will complain about everything. Most of us didn't even notice this unless someone will poin it out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Old 09-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #38
Banned

apollooff320's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
You have to see a game in person to really see how big the players are in comparison to the small court. TV doesn't do it justice. My first live game I saw that's the first thing I pointed out. 2k has it right.
I have to call BS on this...are you watching the game threw some special time of eye seeing glasses? I've been to Cavs and Detroit games at least 4 times a year for the last 10 years and disagree with what you're saying. The players are not scaled correctly they are to big for the court. It could be the bulky legs and bodys. So once they start scanning those correctly maybe it will be correct. I rather them concentrate on making the courts more realistic. It's so easy to tell it's a game when you look at how off the colors and lighting are on the courts.

Last edited by apollooff320; 09-24-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #39
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
No, no, no. At least not by scaling the players in a way that puts them out of proportion with the court. It would never look quite right doing this anyway. The correct thing is to make sure the angles and FOVs and placement of cameras are right. Then make sure the body, limb, and jersey thicknesses are right. There may be things happening to give the illusion that the players are somehow bigger but you can't simply scale the players to be the wrong lengths just to make things look "better".

Scaling players inappropriately would also lead to artifacts in gameplay if sizes weren't actually all to scale.
Angles certainly can make a difference. But concrete geometric lengths and values would better "describe" the player to court ratio because numbers are factual and numbers don't lie.

Why would measuring players' real heights, limb length, girth, shoe size in relation to the court not be more accurate? Someone who is 6 feet tall is going to remain 6 feet tall regardless of camera angle. Camera angle may cloud our judgment because optical illusion may be at play. But 6 feet is 6 feet regardless of camera angle.

Mathematical measures supercedes all optical illusions.

"An NBA game court is 94 feet long and 50 feet wide, divided in half by a midcourt line. Each half is a mirror image of the other. This diagram shows some of the key markings and areas of an NBA basketball court. - google internet search"

Jameer Nelson is 6' feet tall. An NBA basketball court is 50 feet wide. Mathematical measurements says we should be able to fit #8.33 Jameer Nelson across the width of the floor.

An architect uses numbers to draw up plans. They don't use "optical illusion" / "different angles looking at things to determine proper dimensions." Everything is based on numbers because numbers are concrete hard evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeed04
It isn't the size of the players that's an issue, rather it's the size of the strides that they take, and the distance that they can cover in a single stride or two, that's an issue.

Hopefully with better MoCap and footplanting tech, this issue can be resolved once and for all.
Stride length could certainly factor into play, but that is only part of it. I think the most important component still comes down to player's size to court ratio. If we have 10 guys on the court and they don't move, stride length no longer can determine if the player to court ratio is proper or not.

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-24-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Angles certainly can make a difference. But concrete geometric lengths and values would better "describe" the player to court ratio.

Why would measuring players' real heights, limb length, girth, shoe size in relation to the court not be more accurate? Someone who is 6 feet tall is going to remain 6 feet tall regardless of camera angle. Camera angle may cloud our judgment because optical illusion may be at play. But 6 feet is 6 feet regardless of camera angle.

Mathematical measures supercedes all optical illusions.

"An NBA game court is 94 feet long and 50 feet wide, divided in half by a midcourt line. Each half is a mirror image of the other. This diagram shows some of the key markings and areas of an NBA basketball court. - google internet search"

Jameer Nelson is 6' feet tall. An NBA basketball court is 50 feet wide. Mathematical measurements says we should be able to fit #8.33 Jameer Nelson across the width of the floor.

Stride length could certainly factor into play, but that is only part of it. I think the most important component still comes down to player's size to court ratio. If we have 10 guys on the court and they don't move, stride length no longer can determine if the player to court ratio is proper or not.

You're totally right that things should just be measured properly with respect to each other. I thought you were suggesting that players be scaled until they looked right by eyeball on broadcast. That would be bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »