Home

A fundamental problem with MyLeague / MyGM modes

This is a discussion on A fundamental problem with MyLeague / MyGM modes within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #1
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1
A fundamental problem with MyLeague / MyGM modes

I love the improvements. But some of the same let downs remain.

I simmed a few years ahead in MyLeague to see how the NBA landscape changes aswell as player development, and I realized that there's a fundamental problem with the franchise modes that i suspect can never actually be fixed: even though young player ratings improve, their averages don't necessarily improve, particularly PPG, because a lot of the PPG has to do with player tendencies, such as 'touches' and 'shots', but as far as i can tell tendencies don't change from year to year, they're static. This is because player ratings are made with GAMEPLAY in mind primarily, and simulated stats in mind secondarily.

The only way to get a good GM simulator is for a company to specifically specialize in creating a game centered around that mode itself, like Football Manager did.

It isn't so much of a problem for MyLeague as it is for MyGM, because in MyLeague you can just edit players' tendencies yourself to match up with their current abilities. But it's very time consuming.

It's a little bit of a let down, as i was so hyped for MyLeague & MyGM this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A fundamental problem with MyLeague / MyGM modes

I agree. It makes no sense for touch tendency and shot tendency not to evolve.

Guys like Paul George for example were not dominating the ball in their first year or two in the league.

Honestly touches shouldn't even be a rating. It should be a scale dictated by the coaching gameplan.

You shouldn't be able to have a team where everyones' touches tendency is 100 (which you can now).

I think this problem is solved by taking touches out of tendency and into gameplan therefor it becomes a non static thing that depends on the coaching gameplan and players' teammates.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

I agree that it would be beneficial to make the coach decide who gets most touches, based on some algorithm that takes into account: player offensive abilities (strengths & weaknesses), coaching style, and the amount of offensive options on the team.

The game already seems to have an awareness of the type of player each player is, as is evidenced by the fact that all players have labels like "skilled faceup four" and "offensive superstar" etc, so it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I'm sure doing so would create new problems though (like maybe gameplay problems). At the end of the day we need a company to create an awesome league simulator like Football Manager, but for NBA/basketball. We need a game where its sole focus is player ratings for the purpose of stats and data, not gameplay
Old 09-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Banned

KGDunks's Arena

OVR: 0

How big of an issue is this?

I'm almost turned off the modes because of it.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

If this is the case I'll run MyLeague and go into each team and alter the touches. It will suck but it'll balance the game. Give the high rated guys higher touches.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Rookie

davez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsey
I love the improvements. But some of the same let downs remain.

I simmed a few years ahead in MyLeague to see how the NBA landscape changes aswell as player development, and I realized that there's a fundamental problem with the franchise modes that i suspect can never actually be fixed: even though young player ratings improve, their averages don't necessarily improve, particularly PPG, because a lot of the PPG has to do with player tendencies, such as 'touches' and 'shots', but as far as i can tell tendencies don't change from year to year, they're static. This is because player ratings are made with GAMEPLAY in mind primarily, and simulated stats in mind secondarily.

The only way to get a good GM simulator is for a company to specifically specialize in creating a game centered around that mode itself, like Football Manager did.

It isn't so much of a problem for MyLeague as it is for MyGM, because in MyLeague you can just edit players' tendencies yourself to match up with their current abilities. But it's very time consuming.

It's a little bit of a let down, as i was so hyped for MyLeague & MyGM this year.
Having done hundreds of 80-year franchise soaks, I will say that the Points Per Game leader averages right around 30 points per game across all these soaks. The players at 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 are also within 1-5% of last seasons values. There are some ups and down (low for PPG was 24.5 and high was 38.6 for all of these 80-year soaks), but the averages are pretty solid for the top 5 for everything except Steals (this dips to stay consistently less than 2.0 for the league leader once it's all generated players).

Some of this tuning will be a part of the day 1 patch and some will require patch 2.
Novato, CA, USA

Official MyGM / MyLEAGUE / MLO 2K19 Wish List
Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13

Both the Shot and Touches tendencies are supposed to progress based on how much a player develops or regresses offensively.

Are you sure you saw them not progress? Did you pick a few players, simmed a season at a time, noted those tendencies for them and they were the same? If so, that's a bug we need to look into. But the design is definitely for them to progress.
Novato, CA, USA
Old 09-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez
but the averages are pretty solid for the top 5 for everything except Steals (this dips to stay consistently less than 2.0 for the league leader once it's all generated players).
Could you look into steals? Seems like a sim stat issue & not a ratings one. Shawn Marion only gets 0.9 with an 80 rating & Nash is getting 2+ with only a 60 rating. They have the exact same tendencies for steals. Also Kawhi has been consistently low every time I've simmed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »