Home

Why is this a Bad Shot? (Video Inside)

This is a discussion on Why is this a Bad Shot? (Video Inside) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why is this a Bad Shot? (Video Inside)

This happens to me all the time online. It ticks me off when a guy closes out late and the commentator says he was all over me.

Earlier today I faked out a defender and he flew behind me but when I took the shot I was forced into a fadeaway. I waited a few seconds before shooting so I could set my feet too. This was with Eric Gordon.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
Pro

XxSpiritHunterX's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
Why would I slow down a fast break when I have an open shot and the defense is out of position? I slow down the break plenty of times when there is no one open, but in this situation, the defender was late and I had an open shot. Nevertheless, I agree with you on the first part. Fine, give me the D for not having badges or a 70 mid rating. But don't call it a "bad shot selection". Also, this doesn't just happen from the deep mid range. It happens all over. Even if I have my feet planted for a three or a closer mid and he get's there late and doesn't contest--it's still considered a bad shot according to the game.
Usually when you don't have the space for the best possible open shot on a fast break, you can slow down the play, even if you're open. I don't say you should pass up an open shot, but a moving deep mid range shot isn't efficient at all. You'd make that barely lol. Plus I've had better shots made off of closer moving shots, only missing when the shot is rushed.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

How much time is on the shot clock, looks like a secondary break situation
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
Pro

dom5552's Arena

OVR: 3

Didn't see you mention this but what is your shot rating? If it's between a 70 and 80 I would agree this is a bad shot. Early in the clock, guy closing out, almost one of the longest 2 pointers you can take. Also depends on how your shot selection for the game has been or whether you've hit a few in a row or not. All the little things seem to factor in to decide whether it's bad or not.

PSN: TheDom45
Old 10-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Pro

Okay,

So after further play, I have discovered that it has NOTHING to do with my rating, the fact it was a long mid, or that it was a dribble pull up.

Frankly, the AI is awesome and near perfect. Just some very few tweaks need to be made. It just seems the game is registering as you being contested if there is a defender even remotely near you. This might go away with badges, but that just means there was a mistake on the balancing.

Here is another example at 17:05 (fast forward to that point): http://youtu.be/6nwvBxJL_R8

You clearly see Curry flops and every other defender is either not near me or behind me without contesting. Yet it was considered a bad shot and D grade.

Again, IM LOVING the changes. I'm not asking for anything to be easier, especially the defense. Just what's registered as contested as I'd like it to be more realistic. Also, get rid of the coach yelling every 2 seconds lol.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I definitely agree that the contested logic needs to be tuned....also what causes contested shot animation to trigger...
Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookid
As I have said in another thread, it is not SCORING that is bothering me. I don't want to hit every shot or shoot 90% from the field. It is HOW I am hitting my shots (by taking ridiculously wide open ones and forcing layups).

Also, I am not saying I want to hit the shot in the video. I just want to know why it is being considered a D to F rated shot with losing teammate grade for "bad shot selection".

As you will see in the clip below, we are on the break and Caldwell-Pope is out of position. I take a pass in motion and set myself for a beautiful pull up J. He is clearly late to get to me, doesn't even have a chance to put his hands up to contest--yet the game acts as if I had no space. This is the biggest frustrating change from last year as it is impossible to shoot pick pocket shots, or late contested shots.

https://youtu.be/AYLYbtoYfHU

P.S. The difficulty is HOF. I love most of the changes this year. But this is the only thing I am adamant about. It needs addressing as defenders not closing in fast enough should not be rewarded. It might just be a bug though because the CPU, including teammates, has no problem landing late contested or pocket jumpers.
After watching your clip a couple of times, I can definitely say that wasn't a fastbreak opportunity. Fast breaks are 3 on1's, 3 on 2's, 2 on 1's etc. with players running the sidelines. It looked like all 5 defenders were back (Pope was just lost). Your teammates looked to be wanting to setup a play. Now there is a such thing as a secondary break, which sometimes can lead to a trailer getting a layup or shot close to the basket. You just pulled up for a long 2 point shot. IMO, this was a bad shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #16
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Early in shot clock
Not wide open, but open
Longest 2-pt shot there is
Was anybody under the boards to give team chance at an O-rebound?

I'm not grading it but I certainly wouldn't say that's a good look.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »