Home

SMH missing WIDE OPEN shots with shooters again

This is a discussion on SMH missing WIDE OPEN shots with shooters again within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #57
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: SMH missing WIDE OPEN shots with shooters again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Black
Basically you are admitting that everyone needs to have a 'perfect release' with 'A+ shot quality' in order to make a shot.

But that's not the case, in real-life.
Jordan, or Bird could drop 30+ points with 2 or 3 defenders smothering them.

A lot of those shots they took are not 'A+ quality'. They might be C+, or D quality, but they still went in.

A half a millisecond should not throw off a shot completely. That's the point some folks are making.

A 97% release should go in the bucket, because even Curry doesn't have a 100% release every time he lets it fly... But it still goes in.

This is where the debate lies.

Human error means you are not doing everything 100% perfect.... But some folks believe..... We shouldn't have to, in order to make a shot... Because the NBA Pros don't do everything 100% perfect either.

If Curry can still hit shots that are 97% accurate with a B or C rating.... So should I.... But that's not happening. Those shots are rimming out.
Let me rephrase what i'm talking about. I meant the window of opportunity relative to that specific difficulty level. As the difficulty gets higher, the skill window should shrink. The higher the difficulty, increasingly smaller the window should get. Human error with respect the that window.

The key point i'm ultimately trying to make is it's going to take practice to get the shots down. Stick with the same team. It takes hours and hours and lots of repetition to be good or great. The game hasn't been out long. Why don't gamers play it for several weeks to a month to really get a true handle on the game before saying something needs fixed.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-29-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #58
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Black
Basically you are admitting that everyone needs to have a 'perfect release' with 'A+ shot quality' in order to make a shot.

But that's not the case, in real-life.
Jordan, or Bird could drop 30+ points with 2 or 3 defenders smothering them.

A lot of those shots they took are not 'A+ quality'. They might be C+, or D quality, but they still went in.

A half a millisecond should not throw off a shot completely. That's the point some folks are making.

A 97% release should go in the bucket, because even Curry doesn't have a 100% release every time he lets it fly... But it still goes in.

This is where the debate lies.

Human error means you are not doing everything 100% perfect.... But some folks believe..... We shouldn't have to, in order to make a shot... Because the NBA Pros don't do everything 100% perfect either.

If Curry can still hit shots that are 97% accurate with a B or C rating.... So should I.... But that's not happening. Those shots are rimming out.

You honestly can't be comparing Jordan, Bird and Steph Curry to the rest of the NBA in regards to shooting contested shots. Or even shooting % in general. Are you?

If Jae Crowder is guarded by 2 people and releases it "perfect", do you really think he's going to make as many shots as Jordan or Bird if they were being guarded by 2 people?

If Efron Payton is wide open at the 3 point line and releases a "perfect" shot, do you think he's going to make as many shots as Steph Curry if he releases a "perfect" shot?

Shooting in a video game is about 1,000,000 times easier than shooting in real life. All you're doing is timing a meter by holding down a button until it says to let go of it. If the game allowed everyone to just make everything if their timing was perfect, then everyone would be shooting 95% from the field every game. Nobody wants that, do they?

They shouldn't, because what's the fun in that? 2k has a pretty great system that takes into account many things; including the timing from the user, the shot selection and the ratings of the player. And it works pretty darn good if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Why don't gamers play it for several weeks to a month to really get a true handle on the game before saying something needs fixed.
It's the instant gratification factor. Things don't work this year like they did last year so it must be broken. People can't do exactly what worked last year so it needs to be patched. Nobody wants to put any real effort into attempting to try a new way so they just want it fixed. On day 1/hour 1 people were complaining that the passing system was awful and that it needed to be patched. True, there are some obvious things that need to be fixed/patched, mostly visual things and some warping, but shooting isn't one of them.

Last edited by BA2929; 09-29-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think the OP is one of the many (unfortunately) overreactors to this fantastic game.

Let me say this: Nba 2k16 gameplay DOES NOT NEED to be altered !!!.

Something could be improved, but the beauty of the game is really something else. While 2k15 to 2k14 was sort of a sidestep if not worse, 2k16 takes away all the crap that patch 4 brought and brings it to a new whole level.

The defense is back. No more zig zags, which were horrendous, no more running up and down the court to look for a little space which was enough to get a basket.
Now it's crucial to master the ability to read the attacking player, use the correct speed on D, move laterally at the right time, don't get stuck in screens, help, when to jump, and when to contest vertical... the package this game is offering on the defensive side of the ball is a jewel to any real NBA fan.

People has to adjust to this game and I think it's time to stop complaining about everything, and time to discover that the game of basketball is a thousand things more than a shot meter.

The bodies are extremely accurate, every player feels different to the other... the weight especially is on point.

I've played with Westbrook and he's explosive, athletic, feels like an iron man while quick... I've played with D'Angelo Russell and they've brought to the game his moves, really feels like watching a OSU game last year.

I've played with Marcus Smart and he's strong as a bull, not real fast but with great lateral quickness, really fun to play defense with him, he can overcome screens and that's awesome.

And I could continue.

Then, I think the key in this game is simple: execute, execute and execute. It requires a lot more patience because you can actually play D. Help is there, and what I love the most is that with the ability to defend, sometimes you can get it too far and double or help more than needed leaving a man open. But that's great, because on the next possession you'll adjust.

In this game, you don't get away with hero ball... it will just lead to a wall of bricks.

It's not anymore like in 2k15, when simple and basic ball movement was creating artificial holes in the defense, along with the cheesy moves that were exploited.

I've played several games online and seen players do what they did last year: run up and down the court with Steph and then bomb at the 3pt line. You don't get away with that. A lot of clanks in fact: I've not seen any play call, nor screens or advanced moves to create some space for a shot in games online for the most part.

About WIDE OPEN SHOTS: people forget that RHYTM is crucial to knock down open shots during a game. It seems like the sliders are very well balanced (I play Superstar Sim in MyLeague, for example), and it looks like stamina and hot spots are taken into account about success rate of open shots. And I love it.

I'm happy 2k16 is nearer than ever to real life basketball, the way to follow has been drawn and the devs must not rewind in any way. The philosophy this game is bringing can make this series the best of all times, finally.

Last edited by Giovaz; 09-29-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #60
Rookie

And to add to my previous post, I'll just say: my percentages are not that great (I usually shoot 42-43 from the field and 32-33 from3) but I'm improving every game, and it's exciting to be finally challenged by a 2k game in the right way (not in the way you have to learn how to get the easy baskets everyone gets, EVEN IF they're completely unrealistic)

Another notable thing that has been addressed in 2k16 is that erratic ball handling and passing is punished with more turnovers, even from the stars, and it just helps the overall experience.

Last edited by Giovaz; 09-29-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 1

the game plays perfect. no more zig zagging in stage
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 3

This is the best shooting has ever been in a 2k game. Definitely don't change it, at least for now. The 3pt percentage, at least on Superstar/Sim, is perfect.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 1
SMH missing WIDE OPEN shots with shooters again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloNYK7
A lot of you offline players are not playing the game on HOF or SIM so u dont understand the frustrations. I have the shot feedback on so I see the shot quality. WIDE OPEN shots, B- B C C-, slight late, slight early, missing with great shooters. Even FTs, great shooters missing a lot of FTs on slightly early or late. I don't want want to make every wide open shot thats the mistake u guys are assuming. But can i at least get a A or A- quality when i shoot wide open with a shooter? that would lead to more consistent shooting open

There's your problem. Or at least the beginning of your problems.

Don't play HOF.

It's balanced towards difficulty more than realism. Also you have this game less than a week. Why are you playing HOF in a franchise where HOF has traditionally been the cheese mode for years? All-Star is already hard enough this year.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #64
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

I shouldn't be playing on the weekdays but man, I am shooting much better. I don't know if it's the shot meter off (feedback only) or I am just feeling it. I am shooting 42-45% from 3 now opposed to 22-29% lol. Catch and shoot are almost automatic for me. Those are better than getting great looks. I guess it's patience but I shoot much better with the shot meter off.

No more complaints from my side. This is the best basketball game ever made The shooting was my only gripe. This is the most complete game I have ever seen. I have never been obsessed with playing a basketball game in my life. It's an addiction I need to stop because I try to play on the weekends to relax not on weekdays when I have a million things to do.

P.S. AI still makes 99% of their wide open shots

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »