Home

OG's defensive engine

This is a discussion on OG's defensive engine within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:07 AM   #1
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
OG's defensive engine

Ive just been in scrimmage for the past 2 hours testing it. Basically OG said the game thinks.

And I think he has nailed it. It's the best AI Ive seen in a sports game.

1. The AI knows how to deal with different types of player.

Watch the clip below. I was running high pick and fades with Deron/Dirk and then Deron/DeAndre Jordan (yeah yeah, I know. Shut up.) The CPU AI was really mindful of sticking to Dirk on his fade. As for DeAndre, they didnt worry about him being open at 18 feet. I kept running these plays and had real trouble popping Dirk open, but could get Jordan open on pops whenever I wanted to. That's beautiful. I put a more mobile big (Diaw) on guard Jordan and he still left him out there.

2. Good defensive teams stand out, bad teams stand out.

Now the Spurs know how to defend. The Lakers, they do not. Check out the comparison vid. This was the first when I went into scrimmage. This was reproduced many times. Note how Clarkson (maybe its Russel) got caught up on the screen. It was hard getting Spurs, especially Kawhi caught up on screens. Nice.

3. Players traits are recreated.

Duncan likes hanging back at the rim. So I noticed that when he got switched on to Dirk, he would hang back and concede the open J. Kawhi and Aldridge would not. A flaw of this scheme is the lack of help D rotating over. This may need to be looked at. This clip shows Duncan sagging back into the paint. Very real.

4. They change their ways of guarding and their defensive choices. Dynamic is the key word.

I brought in Barea who got to the hole a couple of times, so they started going under the picks. This opened up 20 foot jumpers. Here they have shifted Kawhi on to him and gone under the pick. Nice.

They hedged hard sometimes. They doubled the ball handler sometimes. I tried to be smart and go baseline pick and rolls, they ICEed me up.

*A risky move against Dirk. Slow rotation for help, again may need to be tuned.

5. They can make errors. I did work for my shots. I made sure to use the screens properly. Like real basketball, you have to get really close to your screener. I forced them into an error here. Yes, LMA stuck to Dirk, so Parker should have went under but didnt and I had a lane. Where's the help D? A bit late.

This is a very deep game, and I have by no means yet to find out much about this defensive engine. But I can see what has gone into the game, and this has never been done before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 AM   #2
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

Re: OG's defensive engine

As a follow up. I kept running these pick plays, Deron nailed a couple. I noticed they slackened their coverage on Dirk. I hit 3 in a row with him. The I see they are denying him off their ball, and his man refused to leave his side during pick and plays. This created a wide open lane for Deron.

I think there is a lot going on under the hood here.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

I don't thing they adjust to stop the roll man or protect the paint as quickly as they should. It actually pretty easy to get the ball in there consistently.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have put the defensive help slider up to 90. Looks way better and makes the game way more realistic (spacing).
Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

I started a classic league with MJ and the bulls. Torching the league on ss. Avg 40 and not once have I seen a double or help side trying to stop him. I've played a couple teams twice and they've never adjusted anything. So I'm confused by this whole ace deal. Not seeing it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

This game is crazy good

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Good post HK

I wish they would bring back the COACH Help Defense slider so we can determine how aggressive our bigs rotate
Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Now the Spurs know how to defend. The Lakers, they do not.

Spoiler

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »