Home

Overall; What are your thoughts on Spike Lee's MyCareer Story?

This is a discussion on Overall; What are your thoughts on Spike Lee's MyCareer Story? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How do you rate the story?
Well written and told: 8-10/10 15 10.95%
Interesting idea but could be better executed: 5-7/10 55 40.15%
It was okay but was bored: 2-4/10 23 16.79%
Dreadful/Cheesy/Etc: 0-1/10 44 32.12%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #41
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Overall; What are your thoughts on Spike Lee's MyCareer Story?

I found the loading screens between high school and college games to be more interesting then a stereotyped pity-me "best-friend destroys first year but dies and motivates me to become the G.O.A.T." story presented.

There was potential to really tie the high school and college experience into showing how that often determines draft day position but instead we were forced into a no-win situation without any decisions made by us.

This Spike Lee experience turned directly into what I feared it would be ... even-though people got on me when this was announced for saying so, I proved to be right based on pure intuition.

My hope is they give up the forced story-board approach and go back to what made this mode great to begin with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0

Deleted to stay on topic:

Last edited by ultralow36; 09-30-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #43
Pro

Crystar500's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
i lmao when i see all this im white with a black family.....one freaking game where you play as a black family o heck no.......90% of games i play as a white person....heck im black .....

Yeah, but it's a matter fit rather than race. Most people like creating themselves in MyCareer, so it's kind of a let down if your family doesn't look the same as you. That goes for anyone who tries to create themselves. I didn't really care that my family looked different since I'm mixed, but I know it's kinda weird for other people. The true problem is that they're forcing you to be this character rather than letting you make your own path. Kills the definition of "My Career".
Old 09-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystar500
Yeah, but it's a matter fit rather than race. Most people like creating themselves in MyCareer, so it's kind of a let down if your family doesn't look the same as you. That goes for anyone who tries to create themselves. I didn't really care that my family looked different since I'm mixed, but I know it's kinda weird for other people. The true problem is that they're forcing you to be this character rather than letting you make your own path. Kills the definition of "My Career".
I get that man i really do ....but im sure 2k knew what they getting into with spike lee joint.....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #45
Rookie

Once I got done with the story, I was done with my career for NBA 2K16. I can get past the fact that I was a white guy with the black parents and all that. Whatever. I can get past the projects and all the drama. Whatever. But what I can't get past is the entire 2K marketing campaign for this year was "Be the Story". Excuse me? How are we supposed to be the story when we literally have no choice in the story? Besides the fact that it isn't even really our player- it's a made up guy called Freq? That's not my story. So I was over it. It was a decent movie and story, but once again, had nothing to do with me.

One of the best part of MyCareer in the past, was the ability to get immersed in the story, the environment, and feel like it was really you. Well, there was absolutely no immersion for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
i lmao when i see all this im white with a black family.....one freaking game where you play as a black family o heck no.......90% of games i play as a white person....heck im black .....
No need to pull the race card. That's not what it's about. People don't like it because they want to play as themselves. You don't play as yourself in this game, you play as Frequency Vibrations.

As I said, they need to just drop the story. It will never work in a basketball sim.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #47
MVP

@random person....... edited to keep the thread open

Last edited by ultralow36; 09-30-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #48
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Conceptually, I don't like forcing players into a passive experience in video games. For MyCareer it's even more of a mistake, because the mode thrives on customization. That said, once you start it up, you are acquiescing to Spike's request to let him tell you a story.

Writing: It has its highs and lows. Cliches are forgivable, but Spike doesn't do a lot to use our expectations to expose a greater truth. Freq is a sympathetic character and I think the great success of the mode is the ability to talk about your MyCareer character's personal life, which is a part of the NBA experience for better or worse. It's predictable and forced in parts, but achieves some moments of honesty, which is really what you hope for in any story.

Acting: Under the circumstances, I think the voice cast did a great job. People underestimate the challenge of finding a human moment in a snot green room while wearing a body suit and a helmet/camera apparatus. While they didn't elevate the material, they displayed some moments of humanity.

Music: Great mix of funk, jazz and soul that speak both to the roots of Harlem and basketball.

Directing: There was surprisingly little cinema within the story. Even if you account for 2k's restrictions, there were events in text that could have been punctuated with visuals. No short clips of high school celebrations or graduation? No cutting of nets? No evidence of the college struggles they allude to for a brief part of your freshman year? Though Lee claims a documentary approach, the majority of the story is dramatized with only a few short seconds of sparse interviews between scenes. The camera moves and lighting are adequate at best and awkward at their low moments, never providing a scene where it shined as a movie and finding more success when it was a digitized stage play.

Overall: I'm fine with being Frequency for a year, but I hope this isn't a trend with 2k. As mentioned earlier, MyCareer is a customization mode through and through, from your face scan to your eventual Pro-Am team. Shoehorning a passive experience into that is a mistake, and big name directors and actors can at best make it an entertaining mistake.

Next year, I hope players are truly allowed to "Be the Story" and 2k finds a way to enhance the tale that players tell about themselves rather than allow some celebrity to hog the mic and force feed us their message.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »