Home

Non-icon passing is absolutely terrible.

This is a discussion on Non-icon passing is absolutely terrible. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Non-icon passing is absolutely terrible.

I think they should change the directional passing all together...instead of pointing toward u should be able to choose who to pass to by using L3 or r3...thats when u press the anolag sticks down...like say if u kyrie.. U could click threw to say u want to pass the ball to James..u would click down untill u get James n now u could only pass it to him no matter what until u switch it...u could say pass lock...mix in wit icon passing I think that would be perfect addition to help passing

Sent from my SM-G850M using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2015, 11:18 PM   #34
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

Is there a way to use icon passing to make a bounce pass? Or icon passing for a lob pass?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #35
Pro

FloorGeneral's Arena

OVR: 2

I usually agree with passing being bad, but after watching this this vid by the President of #SimNation, I've definitely noticed an improvement. It's all about aiming at the right spot (not necessarily the man) to get the ball to the guy you want. It's a bit long (25 minutes), but it'll help you, I promise.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #36
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorGeneral
I usually agree with passing being bad, but after watching this this vid by the President of #SimNation, I've definitely noticed an improvement. It's all about aiming at the right spot (not necessarily the man) to get the ball to the guy you want. It's a bit long (25 minutes), but it'll help you, I promise.

I saw this a while back. Awesome vid by Czar.

Also, if you feel like you don't have enough control of pass direction change the "Pass Target Presets" option in controller settings to "Direction". This will take more of the "Openness" factor out of the equation that normally helps determine a target. The difference between those two settings, as well as default, is explained by Czar in the above video.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:10 AM   #37
Rookie

I was also getting very frustrated with passes going to the wrong ppl. Usually missing an open guy in the lane and passing clear across the court and getting intercepted. I finally realized most of the time that was happening was when i was on one of the wings passing to the paint, or there were 2 ppl in the direction i was passing. Most of the time the solution is to not hold a direction when you pass. The nearest player is usually the default target, so if you're on a wing trying hit the lane, just hit the pass button without a direction. Or if more than one player is in the area, u have to point towards the space nearest the player u want.

For instance with the wing example, say i'm on either wing and i have a guy at the high and low block. I would push UP toward the baseline to get the guy under the basket, or Down to hit the guy at the foul line. If you just push left or right towards the paint it's more likely to go across court. The problem is you have to consider where the rest of your team is in relation to the intended target. You can't just point at the guy u want and pass. Also, like someone else said there's a white circle under a teammate's feet all the time to indicate who the current target is.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:27 AM   #38
Banned

Kobrakai's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood989
I was also getting very frustrated with passes going to the wrong ppl. Usually missing an open guy in the lane and passing clear across the court and getting intercepted. I finally realized most of the time that was happening was when i was on one of the wings passing to the paint, or there were 2 ppl in the direction i was passing. Most of the time the solution is to not hold a direction when you pass. The nearest player is usually the default target, so if you're on a wing trying hit the lane, just hit the pass button without a direction. Or if more than one player is in the area, u have to point towards the space nearest the player u want.

For instance with the wing example, say i'm on either wing and i have a guy at the high and low block. I would push UP toward the baseline to get the guy under the basket, or Down to hit the guy at the foul line. If you just push left or right towards the paint it's more likely to go across court. The problem is you have to consider where the rest of your team is in relation to the intended target. You can't just point at the guy u want and pass. Also, like someone else said there's a white circle under a teammate's feet all the time to indicate who the current target is.
That's all very good advice for handling how the system works currently, however it doesn't change the fact that it's horribly counter-intuitive and more of a workaround than anything. I don't understand why passing should be any more complicated than "point where you want to pass it" and then have the button modifiers for chest pass, bounce pass or lob pass.

Seems like over complicating something for no good reason IMO
Old 11-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #39
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I saw this a while back. Awesome vid by Czar.

Also, if you feel like you don't have enough control of pass direction change the "Pass Target Presets" option in controller settings to "Direction". This will take more of the "Openness" factor out of the equation that normally helps determine a target. The difference between those two settings, as well as default, is explained by Czar in the above video.

I loved that video, and it applies nicely to passes around perimeter, but I find that in the heat of a game with passes from the wing to the paint it's still way too easy to be off with the left stick and make passes to the wrong spot that would never happen in real life even with the worst passers in the league.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #40
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

I much prefer icon passing; it lets you lead the player, and it never goes to the wrong player.

I just wish I could combine icon passing with bounce/lob passing. We can't right? (I asked earlier, and no one answered, so I assume we can't.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »