Home

NBA 2K16 Review (PS4/XB1)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Review (PS4/XB1) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2015, 06:03 AM   #57
Just started!

OVR: 0
Honestly the 9 out of 10 is fair due to the fact that no other sports game has demonstrated a genius balance of modes and improved the game play dramatically from the previous year. However I am extremely disappointed that i cannot "be the story." If I was able to choose what happens in said story ( ex. choosing to keep rocking with Vic,) that would've been amazing. But as you all know, that is not the case. I stand by this statement that 2k14 (current gen)had the best my career so far as far as story lines go. I know Jackson Ellis could be corny sometimes but that rivalry was insane. It made playing those games all the more worthwhile. I mean having to actually do whatever the wager's consequences (or see them if you won) were amazing. On top of (even though they didnt speak) interacting with your teammates was crazy. I recall becoming the starting pg (over John wall) and he approached me saying if you are whats best to win then i have no qualms over you starting and then in an rpg fashion you get to decide how to respond (like a good guy or an a hole) and how you choose to respond had a direct effect on the court ( and off ) with john wall. I mean that is insane. When it came to endorsements and agents, being poached by a bigger agency riding in the back of limos getting promised more deals more money and faster than your best friend could deliver i mean this is so much depth its crazy. Lastly the minute details like riding in the plane on the loading screens on away games or in your car to home games and not mention the rookie hazing by vets. I mean it was crazy the amount of content packed into one game.

I know they went in a different direction in 15 but even that game had qualities that 16 could use. The interaction with your coaches and the players on your team. even the weird rivalry with an nba superstar (and dante exum regardless of position, seriously why him?) were good ideas that just needed a bit more polish. if they built on what they did with jackson ellis in 14 and combined that with exum and your superstar rival it would've been much better.

I brought focus to 14' and 15' to say if they combined the narrative of 16' with the style and details of 14 ( CHOICES you make to actually BE THE STORY limo rides, choosing agents real rivalries, cut scenes that actually matter, teammate bonding and chemistry on and off the court etc) with 15's more on the court approach with the film room and coaches playing a more significant role, and Exum and NBA star rivalry (with a Jackson Ellis type approach) my career would be perfect. It as if they have three incomplete games and all they simply need to do is combine them. The recipe for the perfect my career is right in front of them just make the three parts one. ( no spike lee doesn't have to do it even though personally i enjoyed it myself). (oh and bring the ability to complain to the gm or staff back.. i really liked that touch about my career. I like that freedom to have a voice with my front office.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #58
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Re: NBA 2K16 Review (PS4/XB1)

If they want to add a dramatic story, add it to the game of BASKETBALL.

As a little kid, if I go outside and pretend I'm in the NBA... I pretend the GAME is on the line and only so much time is left.... not that I have a drug addict friend and twin sister of another race.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadymamba
The be the story was cool - it wasn't too long it was short and interesting and something "different" and didn't take away from the game at all - then the second season starts and the real fun begins - I haven't ventured out to my GM or online, but the my career is Aces!
Yeah the Spike LEE story was awesome but I feel like the second season is way better. The games in the story didnt mean much.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #60
Rookie

renome's Arena

Thumbs up Re: NBA 2K16 Review (PS4/XB1)

What's up OS Fam?! Been an avid NBA 2K enthusiast since 2K2, and I'm definitely stoked about this year's edition of the game (I'm on PS4). I truly believe it is worth all the acclaim, even of being hailed as one of the best sports titles ever (even if, admittedly, people are still in the "honeymoon" phase with this game). Everything has made a leap --- gameplay-, presentation-, graphics-wise, etc. and is no doubt the standard-bearer for basketball (and sports) games, moving forward...

I am, however, like most people in this thread, a stickler for details. Most points of contention, with gameplay (i.e. fastbreak defense, Pro-Am problems, etc.) or other more cosmetic issues (editing availability of shoes, headband editing, etc.) have been discussed and on the way to being remedied in one way or another, but i have noticed what to me is a glaring issue: Player Models skin-color mismatch. What i mean is, the player's head skin color does not match the skin-color of his entire body.

Notable players that have this issue: Jimmy Butler, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, MWP, even Kevin Durant and Melo, to name a few... the color mismatch seems to be worse for darker-skin-colored players, as the contrast is very evident (and more distracting) with much darker faces than arms/torso/legs. It's a cosmetic issue, maybe even shallow to the eyes of others given how great the game is, but, i feel it's problematic nevertheless. I can live with players not being properly equipped with headbands, correct accessories, etc. but it's a more serious issue, especially with how they've sold us to the fact that they've thoroughly used body scanning for 2K16, that there'd be this color-mismatch issue for a number of players (some, even recognizable superstars).

I most definitely salute the whole 2K team for the huge leaps in improvement they've made/make every year, and, with regard to player models/body types, i think 2k16>2K15 and 2K14. I was just friggin distracted by this specific art/graphical blunder. 2K16 is the new standard-bearer for sports-sim immersion --- and, at least from a visual POV, this color-mismatch issue takes away some from said immersion, at least for me.

Peace, OS
Old 10-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #61
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Legends got lots of attention this year, I think that deserves more recognition for us old guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #62
Just started!

Customization and personal characterization means nothing when gameplay is glitch filled and anything but smooth. Sorry to say but SSDG (same **** different game). Please 2K, we would rather have a seamless game than foolish, and unnecessary extras. Also, Pre and Post game shows are annoying after the 4th game... Mind you I have to play a minimum of ~500 SpikesCareer (MyCareer) to max player out. Are Pre and Post game shows becoming a nuisance now? As soon as EA can produce a better game, you will lose many customers and then rethink the approach to a sports game. Successful gameplay and basketball mechanics first, then customization. Never the other way around.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #63
Pro

Again no option to purchase Euroleague Teams Jerseys for MyPark Shame!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #64
Just started!

cheap nba 2k16 coins, please add my skype for more details

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »