Home

Rebounding and Block attributes-- essentially useless?

This is a discussion on Rebounding and Block attributes-- essentially useless? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Rebounding and Block attributes-- essentially useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu1433
because you can just cheese the block button and get blocks before they even shoot....sometimes it's a foul, mostly it's just a block

blocking in general is OP in this game.....I'm spiking shots out of bounds with steph curry and chris paul

I was able to get 13 blocks on the CPU in a game of 1v1 using Michael Jordan....anytime there is a cockback dunk animation, it is almost always getting blocked

it's pretty annoying
Then you have provide a solution to the concern. How would you address the blocks by point guards when they are clearly in position to block the ball, they've timed it correctly, Steph curry's hands are basically between the ball and rim....

How would you "fix" this scenario? Would hand morphing through the ball be a solution (obviously not, but then what is the solution to point guards being in the right position and timing their jumps properly?)
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 10-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

I feel like 2k alternates between years having 1) blocks whenever a defender gets his hands on the ball or 2) defenders hands phasing through the ball to avoid too many blocks.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #11
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Then you have provide a solution to the concern. How would you address the blocks by point guards when they are clearly in position to block the ball, they've timed it correctly, Steph curry's hands are basically between the ball and rim....

How would you "fix" this scenario? Would hand morphing through the ball be a solution (obviously not, but then what is the solution to point guards being in the right position and timing their jumps properly?)
What i would suggest is having the players with poor block ratings have "lesser" animations in terms of blocking, and having them be more likely to get a foul on a contest. Or /And they can reduce the hand tracking on blocks a little
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
Pro

manu1433's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

I have to provide a solution?

That's not how it works, bro. I'm not a game developer. I don't make money to write code or design games.

2k has worked on this issue forever now and hasn't been able to get a handle on it.

in 2k13 blocks were impossible. You could hardly ever get them.

2k14 was a block bonaza because they overcompensated in the other direction.

2k15 wasn't too bad in regards to volume, but dunker/drivers had forcefields around them that shoved the shot blocker back in mid air and it resulted in some awful looking animations.

This year, the animations look cool on a lot of blocks...but they are entirely too easy to get and are pretty cheesy. We are back to having a block bonanza like 2k14.

The game is great overall, easily the best since 2k11, but there are still some balancing issues that the devs need to iron out.

If people don't complain and point out what's wrong then they are never going to fix it...and why would they?

And FYI, somebody like Redick should practically never be in "position" to get a block considering he's had like 34 in his entire career.

And yea, JJ Redick getting a chase down block on John Wall on a fast break? #Simnation

Last edited by manu1433; 10-01-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #13
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Would you be able to further elaborate on why or how can hand tracking the ball be overpowered? Even the worst blockers know to disrupt the shot by getting their hands positioned as close to the ball as possible?
Guards shouldnt be able to block 6'11 power dunkers before they get the ball up as often as they do. It's a bit cheesy. If I see an Anthony Davis type about to dunk, I jump very early and can get it way too often.

My solution? Im not a game developer. Maybe make it a foul more often.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #14
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Guards shouldnt be able to block 6'11 power dunkers before they get the ball up as often as they do. It's a bit cheesy. If I see an Anthony Davis type about to dunk, I jump very early and can get it way too often.

I like this idea...it doesn't compromise the BIGS.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #15
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
What i would suggest is having the players with poor block ratings have "lesser" animations in terms of blocking, and having them be more likely to get a foul on a contest. Or /And they can reduce the hand tracking on blocks a little
See, here's a good suggestion....less animations in terms of blocking, and having them be more likely to get a foul.

One thing they could add rating wise is grip strength for Dunkers. If Dunkers can grip the ball with stronger force, then your point guard block rating would naturally be influenced indirectly. But as far as hand tracking is concerned, I would rather 2k not touch that at all because even the worst of the worst blockers know where to put their hands to make a potential block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu1433
I have to provide a solution?

That's not how it works, bro. I'm not a game developer. I don't make money to write code or design games.

2k has worked on this issue forever now and hasn't been able to get a handle on it.

in 2k13 blocks were impossible. You could hardly ever get them.

2k14 was a block bonaza because they overcompensated in the other direction.

2k15 wasn't too bad in regards to volume, but dunker/drivers had forcefields around them that shoved the shot blocker back in mid air and it resulted in some awful looking animations.

This year, the animations look cool on a lot of blocks...but they are entirely too easy to get and are pretty cheesy. We are back to having a block bonanza like 2k14.

The game is great overall, easily the best since 2k11, but there are still some balancing issues that the devs need to iron out.

If people don't complain and point out what's wrong then they are never going to fix it...and why would they?

And FYI, somebody like Redick should practically never be in "position" to get a block considering he's had like 34 in his entire career.

And yea, JJ Redick getting a chase down block on John Wall on a fast break? #Simnation
Funny... because it doesn't matter if you are a developer or not. You're a basketball fan with a basketball mind. If you want change, offer up possible suggestions, and maybe then if implemented you won't find the need to further complain. No one is asking you to code the interaction, just simply to make possible suggestions.

Are we having a block bonanza or are we simply having physics respected in the game? Hand meets ball, block happens. Timing the jump right, resulting in hand meeting ball at the appropriate time, block happens. #Simnation... Simnation also means simulation of real life. Sure, we try to mimic what goes on in professional sports, but we also want to respect physics.

You mentioned 2k15 had appropriate block volume, but then you say there's a force field that made the blockers get pushed back, leading to some terrible animations. 2k13 was not enough blocks. 2k14 was too much blocks. 2k15 had appropriate block numbers but the force field was awful. So 2k can't win. Be damn if they do, be damn if they don't.

Great complain but not even offer up a potential solution that would make sense. That's a great way to see change happen. I didn't say don't complain, I said to list possible solutions that 2k could possibly implement.

Are you complaining about blocks by the user is too easy or the blocks by the CPU is too easy? If it's the user, then stop jumping to block the ball. If it's in a head to head game, use the pump fake.

JJ Reddick in position to make a block, times his jump to make a block if his hands meets the ball ... Physics dictates the block will happen ...

#simulating real physics interaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd

Don't need to be a developer to make suggestions.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #16
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Animation specific for the bigger players compared to the smaller players? In reality this wouldn't make much sense since anybody can pretty much do a swat motion BUT from a gameplay perspective? I can see this work...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »