Home

Contested/off balance shot animations

This is a discussion on Contested/off balance shot animations within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Mentioned this a few weeks back, but the situations that's trigger contested shot animations should be looked at.

Will post some examples when I get home....but I feel like these shots should be regulated to when someone is smothering you and would actually effect your gather. These shouldn't happen when the defender is a jab step distance away. Guys like Melo feast on these type of situations without awkwardly getting shots off...

Instead too many times they are being triggered when the defender is a foot away or worse, behind you off of a screen...some guys online exploit this running around chaotically and get close enough beside you to trigger these when they are out of position too...

What I did notice playing today is if you go into a shot to quick during a size up situation or before competing your dribble it will trigger an off balance shot animation....I guess I could live with that...but I hate the timings..

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Contested/off balance shot animations

Absolutely agree, especially with regard to a defender trailing you in recovery off a screen. I play with the Clips a lot and seeing JJ Redick fade away in these situations bugs me, considering in reality he and Korver are masters of this shot. Having a guy on your hip or behind you should not reduce your chance at making an otherwise clean look to nearly 0%.

In general, I think these animations need a slight boost in make %. I can probably count on one hand the number of shots I've made from these animations since day 1, and not all attempts were bad looks.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Pro

manu1433's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Mentioned this a few weeks back, but the situations that's trigger contested shot animations should be looked at.

Will post some examples when I get home....but I feel like these shots should be regulated to when someone is smothering you and would actually effect your gather. These shouldn't happen when the defender is a jab step distance away. Guys like Melo feast on these type of situations without awkwardly getting shots off...

Instead too many times they are being triggered when the defender is a foot away or worse, behind you off of a screen...some guys online exploit this running around chaotically and get close enough beside you to trigger these when they are out of position too...

What I did notice playing today is if you go into a shot to quick during a size up situation or before competing your dribble it will trigger an off balance shot animation....I guess I could live with that...but I hate the timings..

What do you guys think?

for sure

wish I had made a video of one I had a couple of hours ago

was playing a game of domination with Boogie and had a defender behind me and one on the baseline off to the side....neither of which were close enough to challange my shot

game triggered a fade away animation despite the challanging defender (i assume it was him that triggered it anyway) being behind me -.-
Old 10-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaxident
Absolutely agree, especially with regard to a defender trailing you in recovery off a screen. I play with the Clips a lot and seeing JJ Redick fade away in these situations bugs me, considering in reality he and Korver are masters of this shot. Having a guy on your hip or behind you should not reduce your chance at making an otherwise clean look to nearly 0%.

In general, I think these animations need a slight boost in make %. I can probably count on one hand the number of shots I've made from these animations since day 1, and not all attempts were bad looks.

Agree with all of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu1433
for sure

wish I had made a video of one I had a couple of hours ago

was playing a game of domination with Boogie and had a defender behind me and one on the baseline off to the side....neither of which were close enough to challange my shot

game triggered a fade away animation despite the challanging defender (i assume it was him that triggered it anyway) being behind me -.-

Then most of the bigs have that slow lean back contested animation....it's gotten me blocked a couple of times, lol

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 10-09-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Rookie

They need contested shots in practice. Something that you can do continuously. Also the ability to repeat drills without the bonuses, I continuously fail the dribbling one and I never know what I did wrong or how to do it correctly.

I like the practices but I wish they were true practices and not only bonuses for the games.

Post practice would be awesome.

But that's off topic, they need to do something about what is considered contested, because the computer constantly takes contested shots and their form rarely changes. But mines changes whey they are 4 feet away or once when the defenders back was to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #6
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Yes, the contest shot system desperately needs refining.

Using sliders I was able to tune the errant interactions to more simulated interaction: awareness and consistency sliders did the trick for me.

I thought it was contest shot strength but awareness and consistency still appear to be the drivers because I don't see the flaws reappear on simulation so long as consistency and awareness are set high enough.

There may be a composure connection between awareness of shooting ability and awareness of surroundings -whatever it may be I have been able to clean it up with slider adjustments but would like to see the system work by default as fundamentally as it can from a logical perspective within the appropriate context.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Agreed. This is a legit issue.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 AM   #8
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15

Cosigning this post 100%. These wierd contested shot animations when even being breathed by defenders 5 feet away is gimmicky way of 2k nerfing the catch and shoot game. The situation got so bad that we had to ban lazy LT intense d defense in our myleague online. Users would just sag off shooters and lazily press LT to contest shots with no anticipation needed whatsoever. You can have your cake and eat it too..stop the drive and stop the shot with a simple trigger press while quick shuffling, bumping, and harassing the ball handler and shooter all the same. Low and behold when we mandated manual shot contest, where users have actually anticipate and contest with right stick or Y button jump contest, it greatly reduced the contested shot animations and has even opened up the post game where users cannot simply lazily hold LT intense d to defend the post without anticipation as well. Now the cat and mouse game has opened up with quick pull ups, catch and shoots and advance post moves.

[XLSL SIX NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SIV NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SVI NBA 2K12 Champion]

[SCH SI NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIV NBA 2K16 Champion]

[SCH SV NBA 2K18 Champion]

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »