Home

Severe misunderstanding of the NBA kickball and backcourt rules (2k14 - 16)

This is a discussion on Severe misunderstanding of the NBA kickball and backcourt rules (2k14 - 16) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2015, 02:25 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Severe misunderstanding of the NBA kickball and backcourt rules (2k14 - 16)

1) A kickball, by NBA definition, is an INTENTIONAL act by either an offensive OR defensive player. There is no kickball command, that I'm aware of, in the controls of this game. 2k, mistakenly, blows the whistle when a ball is stripped loose and there is incidental contact made by the defender's foot.. And, even if we take 2k's mistaken position that it doesn't have to be intentional, why is a kickball never called when the offensive player's foot comes in incidental contact with the ball? I've NEVER seen a kickball on the offense in 3 years playing this series.

2) 2k backcourt violations are called, many times, as a defender is in the midst of gaining possession on one side od the line, and then gathers/collects/possesses on the other side. This is not a backcourt violation. There must be clear possession on one side (without an intermediary possession or deflection by the opposing team) before a team can be called for a backcourt violation. Analogous to a wide reciever being waved off for a catch because clear possession was not performed before an out of bounds (according to football's definition of a legal reception).

Last edited by OldHead; 10-10-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

Re: Severe misunderstanding of the NBA kickball and backcourt rules (2k14 - 16)

When you're at it, please add, that 2k doesn't know how to count to 3...

1..2..4..5..6..7..8..9..10..oh 3 finally!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHead
1) A kickball, by NBA definition, is an INTENTIONAL act by either an offensive OR defensive player. There is no kickball command, that I'm aware of, in the controls of this game. 2k, mistakenly, blows the whistle when a ball is stripped loose and there is incidental contact made by the defender's foot.. And, even if we take 2k's mistaken position that it doesn't have to be intentional, why is a kickball never called when the offensive player's foot comes in incidental contact with the ball? I've NEVER seen a kickball on the offense in 3 years playing this series.

2) 2k backcourt violations are called, many times, as a defender is in the midst of gaining possession on one side od the line, and then gathers/collects/possesses on the other side. This is not a backcourt violation. There must be clear possession on one side (without an intermediary possession or deflection by the opposing team) before a team can be called for a backcourt violation. Analogous to a wide reciever being waved off for a catch because clear possession was not performed before an out of bounds (according to football's definition of a legal reception).
Your interpretations of the rules are not correct sir.

1. Kickball there's no way to prove intention on a kickball. If the ball makes contact with any point below the kneecap (shins, feet, heel) a kickball violation is called. For the offense it's a turnover and for the defense it's a side out for the offense.

2. If the ball is deflected and you gather it on or right in front of the half court line before settling in the back court that is a violation. That's why you'll see players let the ball cross the half court line before grabbing it if it's close.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Your interpretations of the rules are not correct sir.

1. Kickball there's no way to prove intention on a kickball. If the ball makes contact with any point below the kneecap (shins, feet, heel) a kickball violation is called. For the offense it's a turnover and for the defense it's a side out for the offense.

2. If the ball is deflected and you gather it on or right in front of the half court line before settling in the back court that is a violation. That's why you'll see players let the ball cross the half court line before grabbing it if it's close.
You couldn't be more wrong. It's a bit scary that people that claim to know basketball aren't familiar with it's basic rules. According to you, an offensive player with 1 sec on the shotclock could just throw/dribble the ball off of the defender's foot to draw a kickball violation and get more time added to the clock, resetting possession.

Your post has opened my eyes a little bit about the level of discussion on the forum (honestly, not trying to insult). I'll temper my expectations going forward. Seems like players have learned rules from a videogame and don't have much familiarity with the actual sport.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

1. There is no such thing as an offensive kickball, it has never once been called in the 21 years I have been watching the NBA.

2. You are not clear in your post but I imagine you are talking about steals that occur on the half-court line, leading to backcourt violations. These violations extend well beyond 2K14.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Kickballs and "accidental" back-court violations are among the frustrations of 2K being a video game and not basketball.

I do think kickball violations can use tuning, especially with foot-planting being improved this year.

The accidental back-court violations I view more as a video game issue and I'm not sure what can be done to make it better. All the solutions I can think of make other situations worse off.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
1. There is no such thing as an offensive kickball, it has never once been called in the 21 years I have been watching the NBA.

2. The backcourt violations extend well beyond 2K14.
You're incorrect on your first point. I've seen, many times in the NBA, an offensive player lose the ball and attempt to regain posession by trapping the ball with their feet or nudging the ball to a teammate while there is an on the floor scrap etc. Kickballs, MOST CERTAINLY, can be called on the offensive team (or either team in loose ball situations).
Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
Kickballs and "accidental" back-court violations are among the frustrations of 2K being a video game and not basketball.

I do think kickball violations can use tuning, especially with foot-planting being improved this year.

The accidental back-court violations I view more as a video game issue and I'm not sure what can be done to make it better. All the solutions I can think of make other situations worse off.
They could fix the backcourt problems by implementing a policy that requires 2 steps on the offensive half of the court once a change of 2k's, current (and misguided), interpretation of possession occurs. This would reduce these wrongly called backcourts dramatically. They often occur on a change of "possession" with one step on one side, and the second on the other.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »