Home

Magnetic steals? C'mon 2K!

This is a discussion on Magnetic steals? C'mon 2K! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Magnetic steals? C'mon 2K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I have reason to believe it's a combination of two major 2k legacy issues:
(1) How steals are programmed
(2) Passing logic + Players sliding to receive the pass.

I was going to (and will still) create a separate thread, with multiple video examples and more extensive analysis, but hopefully this particular thread and this particular post will get the ball rolling and 2k will finally actually fix these two issues since they're supposedly working on an immediate future gameplay patch.

(1) How steals are programmed

(A) If you notice most 2k stolen passes (check out the replay on steals) involve the defender sticking their hands up well before the basketball has reached the halfway point between the passer and the receiver. The ball should move much quicker than that. Yes, some of the stolen passes look better (the ball travels 85-90% before the defender sticks his arms out, but more often than not 2k defender will stick their arms out well before the ball has traveled a distance of 50%) Don't really want to bring up the other game, but the other game's stolen passes actually look realistic because the ball actually travels approximately 85-90% to the recipient before the defender reacts with either a deflection or stolen pass.

(B) Lack of avoidance passing - 2k players are usually not aware of making passes that avoid the opposition's defenders. Instead of passing around the defenders or passing the ball away from the defender, 2k players tend to pass the ball in a straight line, often directly to a defender or very close to the defender. Hate to bring up the other game, but the reason why the other game has less passes stolen is because the passer recognize the passing lanes and they try to pass around the defender or pass away from the defender.

(2) Passing logic + Players sliding to receive the pass.

Players sliding to receive the pass. Pretty self explanatory when you see these videos. Often the recipient will run to a completely different spot several feet away from your intended pass location. This is one of the biggest issue that adds to the unrealistic steal success for both the user and cpu.

When players run to a different spot to receive passes plus 2k's players not 'aware' of the passing lanes, then you have a recipe for disasters -- where steals should never have occurred.

Watch as Steph Curry runs across the court to receive the pass

Watch Draymond Green run across the court to receive a pass
. Watch as the pass goes straight to the defenders arms.

The following video is a clear example of the above two flawed gameplay logic working together to create a steal in NBA2k16.

I agree with everything you've said...However, there is still the problem of the psychic defender that has eyes in the back of his head and can pick off ZIPPED BOUNCE PASSES on a fast break when he's completely out of position. Back turned to the ball. That's just AI cheese. Defenders should have to be positioned in such a way that they can realistically react to passes.

Additionally, pass recipients will go behind the defense in an unnatural way that makes no sense as far as benefiting the offense. Cutting away from the the paint when they're WIDE OPEN and moving BEHIND a defender outside the paint. It's not a "straight line" thing...It's artificial difficulty. The last video you posted was an example of this...Absolutely no reason for Barnes (?) to cross over onto the other side of the basket, unless he was trying to force an interception. Artificial difficulty, 2k style.

Last edited by OldHead; 10-11-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar777
Once again, cpu defenses are intercepting passes with 1 hand like they're Odell Beckham JR. Give it a rest 2k, now I know what they're trying to do, which is to discourage people from forcing bad passes to get easy layups, but if those passes are legitimately good passes in the middle of a play and there is no realm of possibility that the defender should (A. know the ball is going into that direction B. Intercept the ball when they wasnt even in position in the first place) In scrimmage mode, I noticed that the ball can be deflected and go out of bounds when certain passes are made, but rarely do I see that in a game. The deflection of the basketball is way more realistic than these warped steals, so if you want to penalize me for making a dumb pass? Fine, do so by making the player deflect the ball out of bounds or something, but the magnetic catching kills me. Another thing that kills me is sometimes when you're making an entry pass, the player you're passing to magically shifts out of position and his opponent magically shifts into position to get an easy steal. It has happened quite a few times and needs to be looked at, I should have my Capture next week I can make vids.
i hate how fake the steals are in the game its so stupid it takes the fun out of the game they seriously need to fix it its almost completely broken
Old 10-12-2015, 01:33 AM   #11
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Legacy issue... what makes it even worse is that my CPU teammates won't bat an eye to a pass that flies right by them into the paint for an easy score.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 AM   #12
Rookie

meccs's Arena

Magnetic ball in combination with clipping of the AI arms through my body to get to the ball that should have bounced of my body. I get directly into the passing lane and he reaches right through me, hand sticking out of my chest... ridiculous! I feel it is even worse than 2K15.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #13
Rookie

Im tellin you. I lose too many games h2h online

people just let the cpu guard the fastbreak and i get mad turnovers 3 on 2 ... 3 on 1 . It dont matter they intecept mad passes

Even if i get pass the 2 defenders someone blocks the layup from behind or i just flat miss the dunk
Old 10-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar777
This is too frustrating, I get penalized for playing good solid offense, it's BS!
Solution: Get a 90+ superstar and run only one play that requires one pass only. That's how I won my ring in MyGM mode.

Cause afterwards when I sold my star and I made a team of 5 guys with a rating of 80-84 my turnover rate per game jumped to 10+ (I am actually required to find an open shooter, cause nobody can hit a layup when not on a fastbreak). So now I am losing 10 games in a row (with the 8th best team) cause TO=fastbreak points=momentum=heroic AI shooting=cold streak for my team.

Currently I think the game is borderline broken for players that are not a superstar. My uberguy will be scoring 40 points @ 65% shooting while the rest of the team shoot <35% and generate turnovers. Time to adjust some sliders...
Old 10-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
Rookie

Schibling's Arena

OVR: 1

i also see defenders who werent paying attenion just randomly grab the ball. But to me the dribble logic is more of an issue, the ball just gets kicked out of my hands all the time.

Green Bay Packers
Milwaukee Brewers
Philadelphia 76ers
Michigan State Spartans Basketball
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #16
Rookie

TeamHawkins's Arena

I'm so glad people are finally seeing this game for what it is. Stupid!

There is no sim to this game. All the hype is finally dying down. I hate that it takes people this long to wake up. The passing since release has been atrocious. I've turned the computer steal sliders to 0 in my Franchise, and they still get these kind of steals. There is no way around it. And I turned USER pass accuracy to 80. The gameplay mechanic is just really bad. And passing isn't the only thing wrong with this game either.

Another thing I've noticed, is all this seems to only occur on one side of the ball. Especially online. It's like the computer picks one team to play like trash, while giving the other USER all the help it can get. Even though it's a USER playing, it plays as if it's a computer opponent. Which is another element of bad programming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »